Gopro and GPS

Reaction score
Hi

I contact to Gopro support, because I have some problems with prewiev, after Gopro App update.
They reply to me with following message " We actually do not recommend using the camera's Wi-Fi network for preview when using quadcopters due to documented issues of the camera's Wi-Fi interfering with the GPS signal of the quadcopter causing unexpected issues with navigation."

Is that really true? FC40 camera also use WIFI.

I read somewhere that the phantoms that use the apps use 5.8 gHz for control system for this very reason.. I think the P2 uses 2.4 gHz for control which is the same as the GoPro WiFi

Frequency advice

Phantom FC40 and Phantom 2 vision +
Operating Frequency : 5.728 GHz-5.85 GHz.

Phantom FC40 camera Wi-Fi frequency 2.4 Ghz.

Phantom 2 & Blade 350 QX
Operating Frequency 2.4 Ghz.

GoPro camera Wi-Fi operating frequency
All HERO3 cameras built-in Wi-Fi frequency is 2.4 GHz..

So - obviously, you will get a really nice flyaway condition if you operate - say - the Blade 350QX with the GoPro Wi-Fi on. This I know as fact since it happened to me. Much knashing of teeth and wailing !!!!!

Moral :- This will teach me to do more research before I buy.

Pete

Yes, I know FC40 use 5.8ghz for control and camera use 2.4ghz. But according to Gopro, 2.4ghz would interfere GPS, not the control.
I think, 2.4ghz WI-FI would not make any trouble to GPS.

FCPhantom said:
Yes, I know FC40 use 5.8ghz for control and camera use 2.4ghz. But according to Gopro, 2.4ghz would interfere GPS, not the control.
I think, 2.4ghz WI-FI would not make any trouble to GPS.

Thank you for the information. That's handy to know but my question is now that because the Phantom 2 uses 2.4 Ghz as its control frequency it would interfere with the GPS capability and hence - its flight capability.

The Phantom FC40 uses a 2.4 Ghz camera by default, and that does not interfere with the GPS.

More research is needed here I think,

Regards

Pete

lostkiwi said:
Sounds to me like someone at GoPro has no idea what they are talking about.....

Actually GoPro is taking the safe route acknowledging that their wifi DOES interfere with some quads. The 2.4 GoPro wifi will interfere with standard P1 & P2s - I can confirm that. It will not bother the Vision or FC 40.

If your dare, try this - Fly your P1 or P2 with wifi off on your gopro camera - while quad is 10ft or higher turn on your GoPro wifi remote controller - see what happens.

EMCSQUAR said:
lostkiwi said:

Actually GoPro is taking the safe route acknowledging that their wifi DOES interfere with some quads. The 2.4 GoPro wifi will interfere with standard P1 & P2s - I can confirm that. It will not bother the Vision or FC 40.

If your dare, try this - Fly your P1 or P2 with wifi off on your gopro camera - while quad is 10ft or higher turn on your GoPro wifi remote controller - see what happens.

That isn't anything to do with GPS - thats the 2.4GHz control frequency of a P1 or P2 (not FC40 or P2V) clashing with the 2.4GHz wifi signal.

The FC40 and P2V both use 5.8GHz so there is no conflict or risk of control signals being scrambled by the 2.4GHz camera WiFi.

GPS uses carrier frequencies of 1.57542GHz (L1), 1.2276GHz(L2) and 1.17645GHz (L5) so not much chance of interference there either.

lostkiwi said:
EMCSQUAR said:
lostkiwi said:

The FC40 and P2V both use 5.8GHz so there is no conflict or risk of control signals being scrambled by the 2.4GHz camera WiFi.

GPS uses carrier frequencies of 1.57542GHz (L1), 1.2276GHz(L2) and 1.17645GHz (L5) so not much chance of interference there either.

This is exactly what I meant!

I saw a video that showed a Garmin GPS device losing a lot of it's GPS signals when a GoPRo was turned on. I tried it myself with the same results. I found a template to make a shield for the GOPro. I make my shield by using spray adhesive to sandwich aluminum foil between 2 sheets of plastic grocery sack material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMESqwBz9U

darwin-t said:
I saw a video that showed a Garmin GPS device losing a lot of it's GPS signals when a GoPRo was turned on. I tried it myself with the same results. I found a template to make a shield for the GOPro. I make my shield by using spray adhesive to sandwich aluminum foil between 2 sheets of plastic grocery sack material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMESqwBz9U

This is the problem that keeps getting overlooked. Add that GoPro to a gimbal, and you get varying distances to receiver antennas and compass leads; introducing an even more random gremlin.

GPS location service on the Gopro in the options...

ahhh maybe they are saying you can get interfearance in the go pros gps some how. not the phantoms gps.

I have a Hero 3 White Edition. I've never seen any GPS location mentioned anywhere or in the settings at all.

In the video I posted a link to, turning on a GoPro near a GPS device causes a loss of signal from the GPS satellites. I verified it with my GoPRo and Garmin Emap. The wifi was NOT turned on on the GoPRo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl