goodluckbuy gimbal questions

darwin-t said:
The video shows it, doesn't it?

Oops... my bad. I had skipped through the video pretty quick before and didn't see that he showed that wiring (around the 4 minute mark). Thanks again!

I managed to get my fc40 camera to balance on the goodluckbuy gimbal. You need to add some weight to the bottom of the gimbal arm on the end. Then the camera can balance on top near where the gopro would usually go. I used a stack of five quarters, it's balances very nicely.

The gimbal seems to run well. It has a slight off center tilt on the roll axis, the video that was posted should help me fix that. It also occasionally sticks when tilting very hard to the right. I haven't set up the pitch control yet, I've added the pitch control the the back of the controller and calibrated it, I just need to get the phantom opened up and plug it into the naza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400967181.605096.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400967181.605096.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 470
T0Rtur3 said:
Yeah, that guy's video was the one that first pointed me in the direction of the Walkera. He gives pretty good detail, and also has a good video on extending wifi signal.

Watching that video, he has the gimbal mounted to the Phantom with only one screw, saying that the battery door "bumps" the gimbal if installed with both screws. That's a little worrysome that he used only one screw to hold the entire assembly in place. Has anyone installed one of these Walkeras and used both holes? Does the door open enough to manipulate the battery into the slot? It might actually be a GOOD thing if the battery door won't flop all the way open, that could prevent the battery from flying out in a mishap. I'm not too crazy about using only one screw hole and would look at some kind of adapter or perhaps re-drilling the holes. Otherwise that looks like a nice product that fits with the standard landing gear...

PortPilot said:
T0Rtur3 said:
Yeah, that guy's video was the one that first pointed me in the direction of the Walkera. He gives pretty good detail, and also has a good video on extending wifi signal.

Watching that video, he has the gimbal mounted to the Phantom with only one screw, saying that the battery door "bumps" the gimbal if installed with both screws. That's a little worrysome that he used only one screw to hold the entire assembly in place. Has anyone installed one of these Walkeras and used both holes? Does the door open enough to manipulate the battery into the slot? It might actually be a GOOD thing if the battery door won't flop all the way open, that could prevent the battery from flying out in a mishap. I'm not too crazy about using only one screw hole and would look at some kind of adapter or perhaps re-drilling the holes. Otherwise that looks like a nice product that fits with the standard landing gear...

I have it set up.
The door is very slightly bothersome for a normal battery. If you get a larger battery, you have some more issues.
The walkera is a weird fit. It works perfectly, but you can definitely tell its not meant for the phantom. The funny thing is, if the battery door was reversed (i.e. opened upward) it would be a perfect fit! lol

As for one screw, I was worried too, but I have continuously checked if it gets loose and it doesnt seem to.
However, if I had to choose again, just for basic ease of install and battery door opening, I would probably go with the goodluck buy.

The walkera just feels kind of hacky given its not really meant for the phantom.

edit:

Also, take note that the walkera hangs a bit lower, so you will need to do 1 of 2 things.
1: Get extension legs
2: Do what I did and just use large zip ties and wrap it around the feet, cutting it at the lock point (see picture)

This gives it just enough clearance to level out and not get stuck on the ground

Attachments

• 20140519_162515.jpg
    20140519_162515.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 381
dragonash said:
sohail99 said:
How much flight time does one get with the GL-2X 2-axis gimball and gopro on the FC40?

with stock batteries?
Maybe around 5- 6 minutes

Can Phantom's battery bay take a larger battery? I wanted to film a scene for a video I'm making with the phantom and it needs for the phantomto be in flight for at least 10 mins, following as well as circling my moving car!

sohail99 said:
Can Phantom's battery bay take a larger battery? I wanted to film a scene for a video I'm making with the phantom and it needs for the phantomto be in flight for at least 10 mins, following as well as circling my moving car!

I have a 2700 Ma battery and it just barely fits into the battery bay. The problem is, there isn't enough room to slide the connector into the bay with the battery in the opening . I was shoving the battery in wires first, but it was tough going. I managed to do it, but I was forcing things.

The way I fixed it was to open the case and running the battery wires out through a notch I cut in the case. Then I cut a notch in the battery cover and plug things in outside of the case. I wish I had stuck with the stock batteries! :)

darwin-t said:
sohail99 said:

I have a 2700 Ma battery and it just barely fits into the battery bay. The problem is, there isn't enough room to slide the connector into the bay with the battery in the opening . I was shoving the battery in wires first, but it was tough going. I managed to do it, but I was forcing things.

The way I fixed it was to open the case and running the battery wires out through a notch I cut in the case. Then I cut a notch in the battery cover and plug things in outside of the case. I wish I had stuck with the stock batteries! :)

The mad dog batteries (like sohail said), barely fit. Anything larger, you will need to buy the larger battery enclosing (its basically a larger door) and most likely have to notch out the sides of the door to connect the cables outside.

Looking to pay a tech or user to calibrate my goodluckybuy gimbal. I have tried to get my Windows 7 PC to recognize my GLB gimbal and software to calibrate it, and it's not working for me. I gave up. I know plenty of guys are having success though. The pitch arm works fine, but the banking arm just shakes. Anyone available or know of a service or someone I can send this too for a tuneup? Thanks.

Can anyone point me to the cable I need to connect the goodluckbuy to the naza. I tried making a cable to do it, but the naza clearly does not like it, it just gives a series of beeps repeatedly. I want to get my pitch control going, and also want to use the naza to tweak the roll.

Jermz said:
Can anyone point me to the cable I need to connect the goodluckbuy to the naza. I tried making a cable to do it, but the naza clearly does not like it, it just gives a series of beeps repeatedly. I want to get my pitch control going, and also want to use the naza to tweak the roll.

My goodluckbuy gimbal came with the wires - although they were too short so I never used them. But they're just simple header pins (sorry, I don't know the name of the connector though). This page might help:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/37783/how-can-i-create-a-female-jumper-wire-connector

I've only got the pitch wire hooked up, and the pitch control using the lever on the Tx is working just fine. But I wanted to slow it down (the speed at which the gimbal manually pitches when using that lever), but changing the values in Naza Assistant didn't make a difference. Not sure why.

I was going to connect another wire for the roll as well - to tweak it because I've got horizon drift, but I'm not sure if that would help either, so I haven't been in a hurry to tear my Phantom apart to try it.

sohail99 said:
You can get with a little bit of luck up to 11 mins, but only with good quality 2700 mAh lipos and with phantom 2 propellers (9").

Or, if you are more adventurous, get a battery mount extending tray (x2), a 1 To 2 Battery Expansion Cable Wire and feed power from two batteries. Users report here they've managed in excess of 12 mins, and that with the older and heavier gimbal.

sohail99 said:
dragonash said:
sohail99 said:
How much flight time does one get with the GL-2X 2-axis gimball and gopro on the FC40?

with stock batteries?
Maybe around 5- 6 minutes

If you're not carrying a gimbal, a 2700mah battery (2dogrc's mad dog batteries are great) and the Vision props will get you somewhere around 14 minutes. This is an upgrade that will easily happen, it needs no modifications to the phantom, as the mad dogs fit in the phantom (barely) and the vision props screw tight on.

If you want 10+ minutes with a gimbal, you'll need a larger battery, something like a 5400 battery. That'll mean some kind of modification.

Ive noticed something wired about using the F1 plug on the naza for adjusting the horizontal alignment via roll. If the cable is plugged into naza and not into the gimbal the phantom will just go beep beep beep... and not power up properly. This does not seem to be the case with F2. So if you want to use the naza to adjust your roll, and at some point want to take your gimbal off, well, too bad. You have to open then phantom up and unplug the cable from F1. This seems rather annoying. I was going to use F1 to adjust my gimbal since it sits a tad crooked, but I'll probably just work up a way to make the sensor sit a tad off level (or make the sensor more level if it's not)

I can't seem to get the pitch control to work. I've calibrated the switch I added to the controller, and I can see that it's working when I look at the naza assistant, the numbers move as I adjust it. I have a cable going from the bottom F2 pin on the naza to the bottom left (pitch) pin on the gimbal. I have the gimbal switch on, and all the other settings match what I've seen people suggest in videos. The gimbal does not respond at all to the controller. I can't think of anything else to try.

I think it should be the top left pin on the gimbal.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401935696.876071.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401935696.876071.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 414
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401935711.459422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401935711.459422.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 414

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads