goodluckbuy gimbal questions

T0Rtur3 said:
I have a 500 mah 2s lipo that i just 2-sided taped to the back end of the gimbal, but this weekend when I have my new gopro, I plan on setting up the tilt, and while I'm inside the case I will run it off the aux power.

I might use you as a guide then! lol

If I were to order the Walkera as is, aside from the pitch level I would need to order, what else would I need to order separately in order to power it from the aux cable?

dragonash said:
T0Rtur3 said:
I have a 500 mah 2s lipo that i just 2-sided taped to the back end of the gimbal, but this weekend when I have my new gopro, I plan on setting up the tilt, and while I'm inside the case I will run it off the aux power.

I might use you as a guide then! lol

If I were to order the Walkera as is, aside from the pitch level I would need to order, what else would I need to order separately in order to power it from the aux cable?

Just a male JST connector. This way you can just solder the JST connector to your aux cable, and if for whatever reason you need to remove the gimbal later, you can just unplug the aux power, and you're good to go. You won't need to undo a hard wire to wire solder. Also shrink tubing is handy if you don't have any, and is really cheap. I have several sizes on hand at all times.

dragonash said:
I will have to look into it and compare. It is 30 grams heavier than the Walkera. Are you implying that the Walkera de-stabilizes the Phantom on takeoff?
Not the Walkera, the "original" goodluckbuy gimbal, the heavy 230 grams one. Since this new goodluckbuy gimbal is out, I see no reason for anyone to get the older model, except if you want to mount some other camera than a gopro. The newer one holds the gopro more securely, but on the older one you can mount more easily a Mobius, for example.

So i ordered the walkera.

At the cheapest, its $100, but it was sold out at UJtoys.com

However, http://www.dx.com/ had everything i needed with free shipping. The gimbal was $8 more expensive, but I got the heat shrink tubing, pitch control lever and jst connectors all in one go. And with the free shipping, the price evens out.

I dont have a go pro yet. I just might buy one to test out wifi lag and range with my extender and determine if its any good for fpv like the fc40 cam. If its no good, i'll just return it

For now, I will mod the fc40 cam to make it a bit heavier to work on the gimbal. I dont do much flying, so maybe this setup will do it for me. I just want steadier video!

dragonash said:

However, http://www.dx.com/ had everything i needed with free shipping. The gimbal was $8 more expensive, but I got the heat shrink tubing, pitch control lever and jst connectors all in one go. And with the free shipping, the price evens out.

I dont have a go pro yet. I just might buy one to test out wifi lag and range with my extender and determine if its any good for fpv like the fc40 cam.

For now, I will mod the fc40 cam to make it a bit heavier to work on the gimbal. I dont do much flying, so maybe this setup will do it for me. I just want steadier video!

You don't have to add any weight to the FC40 camera, just zip ties and you're good to go. I got my gopro in today, but before I put it on the gimbal I'll take a photo and show you how I have it setup. It worked pretty well.

dragonash said:

I dont have a go pro yet. I just might buy one to test out wifi lag and range with my extender and determine if its any good for fpv like the fc40 cam. If its no good, i'll just return it

Here you go. I used some foam from some Traxxas Shocks packaging for my neighbor's Slash that he had lying around to raise the landing gear. Worked really well since the FC40 does drop down a bit lower than the gimbal mounted like this. Before that, I just used some trays from my tool box on each side of the landing gear to take off and caught the quad for landings. Also, note the battery in the back, if you decide to ever try going that route you want to make sure it doesn't touch the quad at all or you will get jello effect. Oh, one other thing I almost forgot, behind the camera, you won't be able to tell from the photos, but I have 2 plastic discs to keep the camera flat with the gimbal, otherwise it will be pointed up slightly and you'll see the rotors.

http://i.imgur.com/TBeUMrI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/01FkJ1j.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1ySQf8S.jpg

dragonash said:
im surprised you kept it in the case.
what exactly is holding it in the gimbal?

2 zip ties, one on each side where the rubber grommets were on the original mount. I just put them through those holes, and wrapped them around the frame of the gimbal where the gopro would be mounted.

so that DX website... i cancelled my order after they were asking for all types of "verification". From past credit card bills to a drivers license.

Screw that! lol

Unfortunately, I guess the word is out about the gumbal because the price is nowhere near $100 anymore.
Freekin helipal has it for $160!

Torture -
One other question.
Looking at your pictures, it looks like the base that you placed your FC40 cam on is square (unless its an odd camera angle)
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/walkera-g-2d ... raphy.html

Is this the same model as you have?

dragonash said:
so that DX website... i cancelled my order after they were asking for all types of "verification". From past credit card bills to a drivers license.

Screw that! lol

Unfortunately, I guess the word is out about the gumbal because the price is nowhere near $100 anymore.
Freekin helipal has it for $160!

Torture -
One other question.
Looking at your pictures, it looks like the base that you placed your FC40 cam on is square (unless its an odd camera angle)
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/walkera-g-2d ... raphy.html

Is this the same model as you have?

Yeah, that's the same model. Looking back, I paid $120 for mine just to make sure I got it in a timely manner. I got mine from ebay, and if you look around on there, there are still quite a few listings for around $120. One thing I forgot to mention, if you don't have a good hex driver set, you might want to get one. It will make mounting your gimbal, and just working on your Phantom in general, so much easier.

actually, im an IT guy, so I have hex driver sets for those times when I have to tear apart laptops :) So it works out.

I think im going to order from goodluckbuy because I will get everyone in one go as well.

gimbal
heat shrink wrap
pitch lever
male\female jst cables

i ordered mine from goodluckbuy and paid via paypal on 4/26.
Order says processed, but nothing else.

Dont even know if it shipped yet :(

dragonash said:
i ordered mine from goodluckbuy and paid via paypal on 4/26.
Order says processed, but nothing else.

Dont even know if it shipped yet :(

Bleh. Sorry you have having problems with them. A good practice I find when ordering from a company is to look how easy it is to get in touch with customer service before you actually order anything. If you can get in touch with someone easy with either an 800 number, or live chat, then I go ahead and order. That way, if I need to cancel the order because of slow service, or if there's a problem with the order, I don't have to wait weeks to get a response from them.

well, it seems a lot of people here use goodluckbuy (specifically for their gimbal)

But we cant seem to get away from overseas vendors when it comes to this stuff.
I sent an email asking whats up, but havent heard back yet.

I'll give it more time.

dragonash said:
well, it seems a lot of people here use goodluckbuy (specifically for their gimbal)

But we cant seem to get away from overseas vendors when it comes to this stuff.
I sent an email asking whats up, but havent heard back yet.

I'll give it more time.

Try looking for US vendors - there are a few on ebay and they tout their responsiveness to questions via e-mail.

I just received mine - exactly when they estimated it would arrive (took about 2 weeks). They've been really responsive to my initial emails too. Overall, it's not as "fancy" as my Tarot T-2D, but it worked right out of the box. My only gripe (similar to others) is that I can't seem to get it level with the horizon. I've only had it for a few hours so I hope to have a solution soon. For $60, I would buy this gimbal again and again before paying double, triple, or more for others.

SilverBullet17 said:
I just received mine - exactly when they estimated it would arrive (took about 2 weeks). They've been really responsive to my initial emails too. Overall, it's not as "fancy" as my Tarot T-2D, but it worked right out of the box. My only gripe (similar to others) is that I can't seem to get it level with the horizon. I've only had it for a few hours so I hope to have a solution soon. For $60, I would buy this gimbal again and again before paying double, triple, or more for others.

As long as it's working for what you need it to do, that's all that matters. As for the 2 weeks, I guess that gives you a time-frame, dragonash.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4