Good bye to my #2 Phantom............

This seems like a very similar scenario that I just recently had. Thankfully instead of mine disappearing, it took off straight into a tree and I was able to recover it. I was flying mine for around 7-8 min and it started to act a little funky in a still hover (drifting more than normal with no wind) in Atti mode. I started flying it toward myself and it just kept accelerating. I managed to regain control for a split second only to have it take off full speed the opposite direction and into a tree. I haven't flown it since and am now scared to take it out. If it weren't for that one tall tree, she would have gone bye bye. I am sorry for your loss.

Perhaps one way to periodically test the strength and integrity of the receiver and transmitter would be a pre-flight check like this:

1) Find a long, straight, open road with no trees or obstacles.
2) Have one person with a phone stand next your Phantom (or better yet, holding it) with motors stopped.
3) Drive within line-of-site with transmitter to specific intervals (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 3/4 mile, etc) and try to start/stop the motors while communicating with the other person by phone.
4) Note the distance at which you can no longer start/stop the motors.

This may not accomplish much, but on the other hand if you notice a significant change in communication range from one check to another, then perhaps that could be an indication that something is going bad or an antenna is coming loose.

Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20