gone with the wind

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
From the title of this post, one might guess that I flew my P4P on a windy day and lost it. The meaning of the title is actually more along the lines of Margaret Mitchell's novel. Not that long ago, this used to be the most vibrant forum I have ever seen. So much expertise! So much amazing footage being obtained! I'm sure most of the folks that made this forum what it was are still out there using other types of drones. But it was a shock and sad to come back and see this forum reduced to a ghost town.

It has gone a little quiet, hasn't it? I suppose the decline of this site is inevitable, given that we fly a discontinued drone. I've been flying for fun since the start of 2018 and have only ever owned a P4P. I've been sorely tempted to upgrade to a Mavic 3, but concluded there just wasn't a big enough improvement gap to justify the outlay.

I contribute here from time-to-time and occasionally post footage. You've spurred me to post my 'highlights' video for last year...

Last edited:
The reason might be in the reduction of Phantom owners or users.

The reason might be in the reduction of Phantom owners or users.
Yes, a lot of them fly mavic drones. I have a mavic mini 3 pro. I love my P4, but it can't come close to the photo quality of the m3p. The m3p has greater range and better sensors. I can do so much more with the programs and a manual camera settings. I bought it reconditioned from DJI for $609 US. I also bought an extra battery and nd filters. It is under 259 grams so there is no need for a license. I'm keeping my P4 as a fishing drone, because of it's photo quality isn't up to par.

Reactions: Pygar70
Just sold my last P4 this morning on Craigslist. I enjoy the demo part but they don't bring much $ these days. Still have a few P4Ps that I can use for lifting as they will carry weight that my Mavic Air 2 can't. The A2 is now my daily driver but will always love the old Phantoms. Bought a few from guys here before and sold a bunch (14) on Craigslist. Good ol days.
I still check this site daily and help when I can. Still lot of good info using the 'search'

Yes, a lot of them fly mavic drones. I have a mavic mini 3 pro. I love my P4, but it can't come close to the photo quality of the m3p. The m3p has greater range and better sensors. I can do so much more with the programs and a manual camera settings. I bought it reconditioned from DJI for $609 US. I also bought an extra battery and nd filters. It is under 259 grams so there is no need for a license. I'm keeping my P4 as a fishing drone, because of it's photo quality isn't up to par.
I've never heard that the Phantoms piucture quality can't come close to the quality of M3P. I thought that it is vice versa or in best case it is equal. This is one of the reasons why I keep flying with Phantom and not with Mavic. Now I really must compare M3P and P4P to see what is the fact.
I see you have a Mav3 mini. I put an eye on it recently so I would like to know your opinion about it.
I would buy it primarily because of its portability.

I've never heard that the Phantoms piucture quality can't come close to the quality of M3P. I thought that it is vice versa or in best case it is equal. This is one of the reasons why I keep flying with Phantom and not with Mavic. Now I really must compare M3P and P4P to see what is the fact.
I see you have a Mav3 mini. I put an eye on it recently so I would like to know your opinion about it.
I would buy it primarily because of its portability.
I have a mavic mini 3 pro and I love it as of only having 6 flights on it. Lol. The Signal strength is much better than my Phantom 4. It takes 48 megapixel still pictures. The videos must be a lot better because the trees in my videos are so crisp.

Last edited:
Oh, that's something different. It's clearer now.
The only thing that bothers me now about M3 mini is smoothness of flying, what I like at Phantom, and the visibility of the drone. I suppose it's much quieter than the Phantom too.
So if I can't see it on few hundreds of m neither can hear it I think that might be a problem.

Oh, that's something different. It's clearer now.
The only thing that bothers me now about M3 mini is smoothness of flying, what I like at Phantom, and the visibility of the drone. I suppose it's much quieter than the Phantom too.
So if I can't see it on few hundreds of m neither can hear it I think that might be a problem.
Yes, that would be your problem. It was much quieter than I thought it would be. If you don't want people to know the drone is around, this is the perfect drone to have. The flying difference is like cars. Large luxury cars drive much smoother than a small car. Watching it fly would seem like the video wouldn't be smooth.The video is smooth.

I still own, fly and make money with my P4P. Granted, not as much as say 2 years ago (have moved on to other drones), but I still do the occasional photogrammetry gig with her and she's still my main go-to for traffic analysis. The latest job was about 2 weeks ago. I still think the P4P is a great bird. She does extremely well in high winds and is uber reliable. The only time I ever crashed a P4P was when the (unknown to me at the time) aftermarket props failed. Twice. Lesson learned.

D

I have a mavic mini 3 pro and I love it as of only having 6 flights on it. Lol. The Signal strength is much better than my Phantom 4. It takes 48 megapixel still pictures. The videos must be a lot better because the trees in my videos are so crisp.
Not trying to rain on your mini parade by any means but also wanting the info to stay accurate. The M3P does have a slightly larger sensor at 1/1.3 but the 48mp is DJI doing some fuzzy math. It’s a quad Bayer so it’s 4 x 12mp stacked. They love trotting out that number 48 making people think it’s leaps and bounds better than everything else but that’s not really the case. Still very capable and still a great bird tho. Just wanted to put that out there

Not trying to rain on your mini parade by any means but also wanting the info to stay accurate. The M3P does have a slightly larger sensor at 1/1.3 but the 48mp is DJI doing some fuzzy math. It’s a quad Bayer so it’s 4 x 12mp stacked. They love trotting out that number 48 making people think it’s leaps and bounds better than everything else but that’s not really the case. Still very capable and still a great bird tho. Just wanted to put that out there
I hate when sellers do those things. But that seems to be society today, especially politics. It's hard to know the truth. I appreciate your comments on that.

I still own, fly and make money with my P4P. Granted, not as much as say 2 years ago (have moved on to other drones), but I still do the occasional photogrammetry gig with her and she's still my main go-to for traffic analysis. The latest job was about 2 weeks ago. I still think the P4P is a great bird. She does extremely well in high winds and is uber reliable. The only time I ever crashed a P4P was when the (unknown to me at the time) aftermarket props failed. Twice. Lesson learned.
Thanks for posting this information. On eBay, I wasn't able to find any P4P props that are clearly OEM, but there are some listed as OEM that don't appear to be genuine. Is there still a place to find OEM props?

Thanks for posting this information. On eBay, I wasn't able to find any P4P props that are clearly OEM, but there are some listed as OEM that don't appear to be genuine. Is there still a place to find OEM props?
I found a set on eBay.

I imagine DJI still sells them.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20