Go-pro hard case and traveling

Reaction score
I have the goProfessional hard case , and Im going to maui in a month. online says carry on size must be 14x9x22 case measures at 17x8x20.

my question is ha anyone flow with the gopro case and carried it on? im terrified to check it in, I have 6 batteries, upgrades galore and a hero4 setup as well in the case. im contemplating buying the backpack and using that but id prefer to have the hardcase while on the island. thanks guys/gals

I flew Frontier Airlines from SFO to Denver with a Tradecraft ToughCase XR, which measures 24x16x10. http://www.tradecraftcases.com/Tough-Case-XR-for-DJI-Phantom-1-p/xr.htm

At the gate they had a box to check for carry-on size and they were making each passenger test-fit his carry-on, or gate check. I had to rock it in there with the force of two colliding freight trains, but it fit.

Putting it in the overhead of the A320 was much easier.

Other than the additional cost of buying a backpack, I'm curious why you prefer the hard case. Once I got my backpack, I never traveled with the hard case again. For my style of travel, I found it cumbersome. (It's for sale in the Classifieds here.)

Last edited:
Like robsquad said if my plane goes down I'm using it for a flotation device hahaha

I bring my phantom with my to work everyday. I'm in the construction trade so the hard case is ideal as it floats in my truck back pack is cool for hiking and what not but to me the case is much more sturdy and durable.

I appreciate that the carry on culture is different in the States to what it is here in Europe, but I think from what I have seen that your rules are coming more into line with ours.

My two cents?

1. If it exceeds the rules set by your airline, why try to get it on board? You stand the chance of having it put in the hold whether you like it or not and, depending your airline, could even face extra baggage charges.

2. I have no idea how US airlines view batteries but each airline has its own rules here. I have a round trip to make in May using two different carriers. Outbound I can carry three batteries but inbound I'm limited to two and certainly no way I could take six. You are very lucky there. Also, I'm pretty certain that worldwide you are only permitted to take the batteries in your carry on. Definitely none to go in the hold.

3. Why don't you buy your backpack as carry on and put your batteries in there. Your bird would then have to go in the hold in your hard case clearly marked as 'fragile', then it is supposed to be manually transported rather than put on the belt. Is it though? Who knows, once it is out of our sight!

Not a situation that I would want to be in, but short of buying yet another hard case that is within the limits set, you either take your chance at the gate and hope to bluff your way through or go the route I've suggested.

Enjoy Maui and don't forget to let us see the results.

I have the goProfessional hard case , and Im going to maui in a month. online says carry on size must be 14x9x22 case measures at 17x8x20.

my question is ha anyone flow with the gopro case and carried it on? im terrified to check it in, I have 6 batteries, upgrades galore and a hero4 setup as well in the case. im contemplating buying the backpack and using that but id prefer to have the hardcase while on the island. thanks guys/gals

I checked mine recently traveling to costa rica on Delta Airlines. I had the ticket counter agent put a delta Fragile sticker on it and the also put a few lines of fragile tape over the buckles so Id know if it was tampered with. I was seated on the right side of the airplane so I could watch the baggage get loaded. The baggage handlers were throwing all of the suitcases onto the belt but when they got to mine they respected the sticker and tape and gently sat it on the belt. We can only hope all luggage handlers will treat them this way.

I have the same case and five battery's. the size & weight of what u are allowed is usually near same for hand luggage with most airlines but in some cases it does differ a little so your best bet is to check with the airline u are going to use before u fly then measure & weigh your luggage & print out the sheet that states what your allowance is (to stop no it all's from trying to give u a hard time) & your battery's are well under 100WH so again in most cases there's no limit to the amount u take on hand luggage as long as u stay under weight & I think it's a big no no to put lipo's in the stowaway full stop(not 100% on the stowaway part but to me always made sense not to just incase there was a fire)

Have a safe trip & good luck

I flew to Oregon with a go pro case. I had no problems taking it onboard from Nashville to Portland.
We had a short hop from Portland to Redmond. They put it with the luggage. Made it fine.
I believe the batteries should have been taken out of the case and taken onboard by airline guidelines.
TSA never blinked an eye.

:)
Hi Julius,

I have that same case. If you do take it on your trip, open the valve to let the case breathe at altitude.

I highly recommend the GPC backpack which just barely fits in the overhead of small commuter planes. It measures 13x9x21 and weighs 14 lbs. loaded.

Book a trip to Lanai on Trilogy (Lahaina Harbor).

Go to Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina.

Zip lines at Kapalua are awesome.

Snorkeling at Ahihi (aka. the dumps).

Drive to Hana. Nice waterfall pictures with your bird.

Maui is by far my favorite Hawaiian island!:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers