Gimbal won't balance after crash

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse, H3-3D Gimbal Attached. It has worked great for months. I took a nasty crash, tumbled about 100 feet down a cliff into water. Dried everything out, everything works great, except for the gimbal.

The gimbal is responsive, as in i can still control the pitch, but when i roll that drone, the gimbal won't remain balanced and keep the camera level. Almost like i have FPV switched on, which i don't. The entire time the gimbal is twitching, like it is trying to level itself but can't. Also when i plug it into my go pro I get no video feed. I know the transmitter is good because i am getting my overlay from the iOSD.

My question is if anyone know what could be wrong. Maybe something got bent, but i can turn it by hand. I still have control on the pitch, so i don't think the entire thing is shot. Any help?

A video of the crash
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Beautiful lake, even more surprised the video still recorded going under water..
Hope she still flys... Mine took a swim 2 weeks ago and nothing yet...

That is a bum deal I seen that branch jump out and smack the bird :mad:

I'm wondering if one of the ribbon cables in the gimbal isn't torn. They are pretty fragile. I'm pretty sure that the video feed from the GP USB/composite port is simply passed through to the 8-conductor gray flat cable that connects to the anti-interference board and on to the Phantom (where it is passed through to the FPV jack). So if you're not getting video, my guess is the ribbon cable that connects to the connector board that plugs into the GP is torn at the bottom. And if one ribbon cable is torn, maybe the other one is as well. You can buy replacements for $4 online.

I'd suggest you take it apart and inspect everything in there. Look for physical damage and evidence of electrolysis (where perhaps a drop of moisture remained when voltage was applied, causing the electrolysis which will eat through a circuit trace in a hurry).

Do a YouTube search for Zenmuse H3-3D and you'll find all kinds of videos showing how to disassemble, repair and replace the ribbons on that gimbal. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic