Gimbal swings left and right freely

Here is a video of my startup - Thoughts??
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just a thought; if you have left the drone turned on and sitting for too long, the gimbal motors can get a bit too warm. Over time, the gimbal motor windings, on the motor lugs, overheats the coating. The degree of melt determines the amount of disfunction of the gimbal movement. Mild melt can produce a "squishy", (in this case), yaw,. Major melt produces a buzzing, or schreechy motor, or complete failure. The coating on the wires insulates the wires from each other to produce the desired function of a motor and how it properly reacts with the black magnetic ring inside the motor drum. If you replace the yaw motor, make sure you swap out the motor shaft, or you will never get a "centered" yaw.

Reactions: JbroDrone
Just a thought; if you have left the drone turned on and sitting for too long, the gimbal motors can get a bit too warm. Over time, the gimbal motor windings, on the motor lugs, overheats the coating. The degree of melt determines the amount of disfunction of the gimbal movement. Mild melt can produce a "squishy", (in this case), yaw,. Major melt produces a buzzing, or schreechy motor, or complete failure. The coating on the wires insulates the wires from each other to produce the desired function of a motor and how it properly reacts with the black magnetic ring inside the motor drum. If you replace the yaw motor, make sure you swap out the motor shaft, or you will never get a "centered" yaw.

Here is a photo of all the bad motors I've replaced over the last few years. It's about 50/50 for melted wire coating to damage

Attachments

• IMGA0946.JPG
    IMGA0946.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 245
Here is a photo of all the bad motors I've replaced over the last few years. It's about 50/50 for melted wire coating to damage
Wow!!! So you are a little experienced lol. My drone did sit for about a 2 months. Then this started. Any thoughts. It was not in a hot place. Cold if anything

Have you replaced yaw motors before on this model. I’m pretty sure the motor I’m gonna order comes with a new shaft -

Have you replaced yaw motors before on this model. I’m pretty sure the motor I’m gonna order comes with a new shaft -

I've replaced motors on all the DJI cameras. Just sitting won't hurt a motor. Sitting while it is turned on, can, unless you put a small fan on it, like during a FW upgrade.

A NEW, or even different, good used motor will be a problem with "centering" of the yaw. The magnet washer on the yaw motor shaft has 6 "hot" spots in it and they are synchronized with the main circuit board and the "flat" on the shaft, at the factory. This is why the drum needs to be removed on both motors and the old motor shaft needs to be put on the replacement motor. Drum removal is a delicate process, so as not to damage the edge of the drum or the 3 tiny sensors on the motor base.

Reactions: JbroDrone
I've replaced motors on all the DJI cameras. Just sitting won't hurt a motor. Sitting while it is turned on, can, unless you put a small fan on it, like during a FW upgrade.

A NEW, or even different, good used motor will be a problem with "centering" of the yaw. The magnet washer on the yaw motor shaft has 6 "hot" spots in it and they are synchronized with the main circuit board and the "flat" on the shaft, at the factory. This is why the drum needs to be removed on both motors and the old motor shaft needs to be put on the replacement motor. Drum removal is a delicate process, so as not to damage the edge of the drum or the 3 tiny sensors on the motor base.
Thanks for this info. It really helps more than you know. This is what I have ordered. It looks as if the shaft comes with it Hopefully this is right. Lol. What do you think?

Attachments

• 722DFED4-ABDF-4155-B848-1E369A8F2984.png
    722DFED4-ABDF-4155-B848-1E369A8F2984.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 263
Thanks for this info. It really helps more than you know. This is what I have ordered. It looks as if the shaft comes with it Hopefully this is right. Lol. What do you think?
Yes, it comes with the shaft, but you need to use the shaft from your motor.

Also I have to find a ribbon cable now. That’s proving to be tough

Update : I have ordered all my parts - it’s gonna take a month to get the yaw motor But when it gets here I’m going to make a video of the repair. New yaw motor- yaw arm - ribbon cable. Wish me luck. Thanks for all you guys’ help

Hi I have been given a P3P that is doing the same thing .I have a P3A that I can compare the gimbal behaviour against .
How did you go with your repair ?
I have no resistance to yaw movement when the P3p is powered up .In flight the footage is very unstable but the camera doesnt move around as far to the sides as yours does.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31