Gimbal swings left and right freely

Reaction score
The drone has experienced a minor crash but has had a ton of flights since. I got it out the other day a noticed the camera was not that stable. When I have the drone on my desk under power I can swing the camera left and right freely Is this normal? Phantom 3 SE

I believe there should be some free play. That's for stabilization. Fly and see if the camera is weird up in the air. Sounds like you should be okay I've crashed my phantom 3 and the gimbal is stronger than you think. Be safe happy flying.

Reactions: JbroDrone
I believe there should be some free play. That's for stabilization. Fly and see if the camera is weird up in the air. Sounds like you should be okay I've crashed my phantom 3 and the gimbal is stronger than you think. Be safe happy flying.
I guess I should have included - in flight is when I first noticed how unstable it was. It swings far enough left that I can see my landing gear

I have not flown it since I checked the normal stuff. Recalibrated. Gonna try this afternoon The thing that’s so weird is I can’t find anyone talking about this issue online.

Its possible you have damaged gimble motor,,there should be resistance when power is on ,,should not move freely, if you use search logo (magnifying glass logo)top right and search limp gimble ,heaps of threads will come up,,,have you replaced ribbon cable or that still original, these are super fragile too

Last edited by a moderator:
When u power it on watch your gimbal make sure it moves and adjusts itself like normal. I just took my P3Sout for a fly. The limp gimbal I only get when my phantom is powered down. So keep an eye on your gimbal.

Should be no free play at all or video would look terrible, yip gimble reasonably strong but motors are pretty weak and damage easy,sometimes on grass that bit long can stop cam moving so they are weak,,even p4 has trouble in this area:)

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have recently changed props Could this cause the issue They are balanced

Its possible you have damaged gimble motor,,there should be resistance when power is on ,,should not move freely, if you use search logo (magnifying glass logo)top right and search limp gimble ,heaps of threads will come up,,,have you replaced ribbon cable or that still original, these are super fragile too
I am going to try to post a video on my YouTube channel and will link it here showing the issue. I can’t figure out how to attach the video here So I’m going to try that later. Everything I’m seeing is that I have a gimbal issue though.

Here is the link if you care to look at what is going on in flight
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh I see now. Does it ever say gimbal motor overloaded? Or any warnings on the screen when flying?

also when you power the drone on does the camera gimbal do its start up move sequence all the way or does it appear to struggle or not complete the setup I can see your horizon is slanted. If you watch when the phantom 3 starts the gimbal is slanted slightly until it slowly levels itself out and I mean slowly I've watched the camera gimbal adjust on startup.

Oh I see now. Does it ever say gimbal motor overloaded? Or any warnings on the screen when flying?

also when you power the drone on does the camera gimbal do its start up move sequence all the way or does it appear to struggle or not complete the setup I can see your horizon is slanted. If you watch when the phantom 3 starts the gimbal is slanted slightly until it slowly levels itself out and I mean slowly I've watched the camera gimbal adjust on startup.
I have gotten the overload message in the past— only when landing in grass. Since this has started I have yet to receive that error. The startup seems perfectly normal. I will post a video later on today of the startup sequence and then show the movement

Here is what my phantom 3 camera gimbal startup looks like.

Here is what my phantom 3 camera gimbal startup looks like.
Thanks for this video. It reminded me what it’s supposed to look like. Mine does not do the yaw on start up

Here is a video of my startup - Thoughts??

Here is a video of my startup - Thoughts??
Yeh does appear bit not right,,if gimble calibration not fix test by hand when powered on which motor has resistance and which one dont,then you'll know which motor dead,,and did watch clip of cam in flight

Yeah your gimbal is pointing to the right it's not directly lined up. Can you adjust it to look at you straight or does it go back to the turned position.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic