Gimbal saver

What is your opinion for killer rc gimbal saver? Is it useful or not?
Yes, it's nice and useful on the P2V + version 1-2.

DJI changed the gimbal design on the P2V + version 3, so no longer needed. Also not needed for the P3, but a gimbal guard (plate between the legs) is still a good idea.

Yes, it's nice and useful on the P2V + version 1-2.

DJI changed the gimbal design on the P2V + version 3, so no longer needed. Also not needed for the P3, but a gimbal guard (plate between the legs) is still a good idea.

Thnk for your help. KillerRC desingn a new gimbal saver for phantom 3.. are you sure that not needed?

Thnk for your help. KillerRC desingn a new gimbal saver for phantom 3.. are you sure that not needed?
The older birds gimbal was a steel post pressed into an aluminum piece. The inertia from a crash would cause the horizontal gimbal motor to separate. This resulted in torn ribbon cables or out of level horizon.

The newer birds have a better retention system, and fewer separations have been reported. Killer RC makes great parts, and if you would feel safer with the minimal added weight go for it! I have one on my +, but not on my P3.

The older birds gimbal was a steel post pressed into an aluminum piece. The inertia from a crash would cause the horizontal gimbal motor to separate. This resulted in torn ribbon cables or out of level horizon.

The newer birds have a better retention system, and fewer separations have been reported. Killer RC makes great parts, and if you would feel safer with the minimal added weight go for it! I have one on my +, but not on my P3.

.. i had on my phantom 2v+ too but if not necessary for p3 thats better. Thnks !!!

Reactions: Fplvert
I know a lot of people say these are now useless, but I saw a photo of a separated Phantom 3 gimbal a few days after the first Phantom was delivered. While it's true the gimbal is more durable, there is still a chance that it could separate.

So, I guess the question is really how paranoid are you? ;)

I know a lot of people say these are now useless, but I saw a photo of a separated Phantom 3 gimbal a few days after the first Phantom was delivered. While it's true the gimbal is more durable, there is still a chance that it could separate.

No gimbal saver is going to prevent what you saw in that picture, if it's the same one I saw. If there is a crash that can separate the redesigned gimbal, the camera might be the least of your worries. It's really just simple physics and common sense.

OP, don't waste your money. If you doubt what I am saying, look through the forums and count how many gimbal separations there have been on P2V+ V3 or P3 in the last 7 months(since the redesign).

I have read posts of people who have crashed their P3 and they reported that the ribbon broke. I not so sure this is not an issue with the P3.

Last edited:
No gimbal saver is going to prevent what you saw in that picture
I'm not sure we are talking about the same photo, but it will surely keep the gimbal from separating. I didn't say it would be in a useable condition though :D

tcope, right, that is what these gimbal protectors aim to prevent.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same photo, but it will surely keep the gimbal from separating. I didn't say it would be in a useable condition though :D
Maybe not, and no point in arguing about it either. Let's just agree to disagree. ;)

I'm not into arguing. I'm just here to help people and learn new things myself.

How exactly would the gimbal separate if the Killer RC Gimbal Saver is not allowing the gimbal to shift enough to the point where it's able to separate?

I've tried to remove the P2VP V3 redesigned gimbal. It's better but it is at the end of the day, its still pressed. Only difference is the increased surface area.

There has been reports on this forum where the camera has come off and ribbon snapped clean.
I have a gimbal saver installed. Home made with a few bends. I think its worth the investment.
Gimbal%20Inertia%20Guard%202.jpg

What is your opinion for killer rc gimbal saver? Is it useful or not?
Seems to me it can't hurt to have a little extra improvement on protection (negligible weight). P3 gimbal damage picture on this forum made me think it was weak in one area. Don't know for sure, future damage reports will surface as we go.....

With a combination of the Killer RC gimbal saver and the UAVbits Camera Guard you get extra peace of mind. Do you get a guarantee, NO, but for around $80 you do get some protection. Just my 2 cents.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic