**** Gimbal problems

Reaction score
Crashed my p3 about a year ago and the gimbal completely ripped off. Needed to replace flex cable and roll motor, which I did recently. Replacing the flex cable was a pain in the *** but anyways I fired it up for the first time today and the camera points up and doesnt move around really move just twitches. Im getting a gimbal motor over load and the gimbal heats up right away after its turned on. Not really sure what to do at this point any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• D7830F97-2034-4464-A7BD-F43892A07AA7.jpeg
    D7830F97-2034-4464-A7BD-F43892A07AA7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 300
Crashed my p3 about a year ago and the gimbal completely ripped off. Needed to replace flex cable and roll motor, which I did recently. Replacing the flex cable was a pain in the *** but anyways I fired it up for the first time today and the camera points up and doesnt move around really move just twitches. Im getting a gimbal motor over load and the gimbal heats up right away after its turned on. Not really sure what to do at this point any help would be much appreciated.
Im not sure if its the answer, but how about a gimbal calibration?

Reactions: Joker2415
You may want to make sure that you didn't insert the pitch motor shaft into the camera 180° off. I did it accidentally and had a similar response, and I've seen many others here that made the same error.
I'm 99% certain that the flat side of the pitch motor shaft should face the rear of the Phantom.

This guy had similar issues and found his roll motor 180° off. https://phantompilots.com/threads/g...share_tid=77478&share_fid=67544&share_type=t"

Last edited:
Reactions: Joker2415
The only things I can think of or know of after you've checked out what the posts above state.....

I don't know exact wording so...I'm going to give it a try!!!

A couple of things may cause this....The motor shaft/s are out of "adjustment". I've also assembled a gimbal wrong! Sounds funny but it is possible! I know! My camera was upside down.

A broken sensor board. ( I don't know it's actual name. The little circuit boards on the end of the shafts.) Sometimes the break or crack in a crash.

Make sure your ribon cable is seated and the little locking tabs pushed down. The one is a little harder to get to and I've missed it before.

There are a couple of good Youtube video's that got me straightened out. I'm sure there are other reasons this would happen, but for me it's always been out of adjustment. And yes, they will get warm or hot when out of "adjustment" or put together wrong.Even if the video's are for an Adv. or a Pro. From what I've seen the mechanical part of the gimbals are all about the same as far as mechanical adjustmens on all of the Phantom 3's.

Look up "dancing gimbal" "phantom 3 gimbal rebuild" or something similar on youtube There are a couple of good video's. I'm sorry i can't remember the exact names, I'll try to find one and link it here.

There are other video's and like mentioned in the post above, the "box" part may be on the shaft 180 off. check around at the other video's and check the alignment or "adjustment". GL

Last edited:
Reactions: steve_french_fries
Similar question. I replaced the flex cable on my P3A. The gimbal moves freely but it seems like it’s rubbing a bit on something when I move it around with my hand. Haven’t assembled everything yet to test. Has anyone else had this issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues