Gimbal Now hair line crack :(

Reaction score
This is getting crazy, and honestly I'm tired of beating a dead horse but before I took off to do my first night flight. I noticed What seemed to be a hair line crack on the stem of the gimbal.

I never crashed the bird all hand caught and just had my 35th flight... First night flight...

Previous videos had no indication of gimbal issues in regards to jello in videos.

I'm truly at a loss for words this is dis heartening and sent DJI an email at least the gimbal is covered(I think).

Anyway, I hate to worry people but this has to be a defective unit. I hope DJI works with me on this one. At this point I don't care how long it takes...
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435987524.808242.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435987536.025663.jpg

Video link

Hi Bigdz. Don't sweat this one. A bunch of guys noticed it over a month ago. It's just a mold mark on the surface of the casting. Not a crack.

Mine has it too. I noticed it right out of the box 2 months ago. Hasn't showed any sign of actual cracking since then.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi Bigdz. Don't sweat this one. A bunch of guys noticed it over a month ago. It's just a mold mark on the surface of the casting. Not a crack.

Mine has it too. I noticed it right out of the box 2 months ago. Hasn't showed any sign of actual cracking since then.

dude you cant be serious... by all indications it is a crack... Mold mark you speak off has a crack in it.

Anyone else notice this on their bird?

I think that's a normal mark from the moulding process. - mine has a fine line there too.
Yours is a little rougher though.
I don't see that area getting any great stress anyway unless you are doing acrobatics.

I don't do any acro on this bird, it just doesn't seem normal.

I haven't seen any visible jello in my videos... anyone else see this on theirs????

dude you cant be serious... by all indications it is a crack... Mold mark you speak off has a crack in it.

Anyone else notice this on their bird?
Mine looks exactly like yours. I thought it was a crack when I saw it. I probed it with the tip of an Exacto blade. The razor would only catch on the "crack" in the downward direction but not upward, indicating that it was a "step" instead. Shadowing made it look like a crack to me.

I just checked mine again with the razor blade and it's not a crack. That doesn't mean yours is not.

Reactions: Bigdz
Easy test put a drop of water on the "crack" with a cocktail stick, if its a crack it will wick into the crack, if its a mould line it will run along line or just sit there.

I think its a mould line.

Reactions: Bigdz and Dadcat
Easy test put a drop of water on the "crack" with a cocktail stick, if its a crack it will wick into the crack, if its a mould line it will run along line or just sit there.

I think its a mould line.

LMAO... I did your test, and the droplet did not wick into the "crack", it just sat there... I WAITED A MINUTE TOO. I ran the toothpick across it and it did felt like a "step" mentioned above. Im confused... Im mean by all indication it looks like a crack... but after running test it could very well be a mold.

Yeah, mould line. Technically it's the 'shut line' of the mould...... if dji had spent enough on the mould then the line wouldn't be visible, then again it's not a cosmetic part so not so important really.

This is getting crazy, and honestly I'm tired of beating a dead horse but before I took off to do my first night flight. I noticed What seemed to be a hair line crack on the stem of the gimbal.

I never crashed the bird all hand caught and just had my 35th flight... First night flight...

Previous videos had no indication of gimbal issues in regards to jello in videos.

I'm truly at a loss for words this is dis heartening and sent DJI an email at least the gimbal is covered(I think).

Anyway, I hate to worry people but this has to be a defective unit. I hope DJI works with me on this one. At this point I don't care how long it takes...View attachment 23824View attachment 23825

Video link
Not a crack. I have one also. Its a molding mark left when they made it. Don’t freak out. However, you will freak out if you send it in and have to deal with DJI’s bad customer service.

Reactions: Bigdz
Mine looks the same in the exact same place...I don't really think it's a crack and I ain't pouring water on mine.

Why is this critical part of the gimbal not made of aluminum. Sure it's expensive in terms of cost per pound, but add 25 bucks to the cost and we all are happy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Anyway, I hate to worry people but this has to be a defective unit. I hope DJI works with me on this one. At this point I don't care how long it takes...View attachment 23824View attachment 23825

Video link

It's a good time to correct your title to the thread. Before everyone starts thinking the p3 is falling apart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20