Gimbal not moving issue

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am new to this forum but am in great need of assistance!

I have a Phantom vision 2+ V3. I had a, err.. Run in with a tall bamboo bush the other day and had a Crash.
The 4 pin cable that goes into the side of the gimbal (the one that clips in place) was cracked and the wires came out. I replaced this clip with a new one (soldered the existing wires to the 4 wires of a replacement cable) and then fired everything up. All works fine, the Camera Connects to the Vision app, the FPV is flawless, WIFI connection is fine i can capture video and pictures. The Gimbal will not move though. It will not move on its own nor will it move with the roller on the transmitter.

does anyone have any trouble shooting ideas or any clue as to what could be causing the gimbal to not move at all. The Ribbon wire seems to be intact. I have not taken apart the actual gimbal yet though.. I assume thats not a bad idea. Please help!

You may have a dead gimbal board. Does the led light turn on the gimbal board when you power the phantom?

Last edited:
Yes I see the light ON but it doesn't move..I can take pic and videos but only stay in 1 place..and the App on my iPhone doesn't give me the option to move it..

I'm new to Phantoms, but I've been doing a lot of work on the gimbals, and a lot of research.

There's any number of problems you could have. The main controller board that has the four-wire clip attached to it may have some problems. You very likely could have damage to the pitch motor shaft or the pitch motor board. You might have damage to the roll motor shaft or roll motor board, although these often cause the camera to flop about (the "gimbal dance").

A used working gimbal on Ebay is about $400. A new one is $679. You can buy used ones for parts, but it seems to have reached the point where many of the gimbals on Ebay have been purchased, the good boards removed and replaced with bad ones, and then put back on Ebay. The prices on non-working gimbals also have gone up very recently. One last night went for $229, and there's no guarantee that any of the parts work.

Hutch and Burlbank (sp?) repair gimbals at pretty reasonable prices.

Have you re-calibrated your controller in Assistant?

Yes I have the LED light on too. And I do not get the Gimbal dance. Its as if there is just simply no power to the gimbal motors. I did notice, however, that my ribbon cable looks to have melted, or burned up on one point of it. It smells like it was burned up. I am in the process of replacing my ribbon cable now and will let you know how it goes.

Alright. So I've replace the ribbon wire and plugged everything back in. When i powered everything up, my gimbal moved the red led light came on. Then the new ribbon wire burned out and started smoking. I turned off power immediately. Any thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31