Gimbal Needs To Be Auto Calibrated Before Every Flight (P3A)

Reaction score
Ok, I have a new problem...

For some reason when I start my aircraft, the gimbal is rolled about 30-degrees or so. Everything looks slanted horizotally.

This has happened the last four times when starting the aircraft.

I have to find some (more or less) level ground and then auto calibrate it, and the gimbal returns to normal.

But the next time I power up, the gimbal will be slanted horizontally again.

When the aircraft is NOT powered on it seems like the gimbal is balanced just fine. I can adjust it and it will stay in place to wherever I move it.

Any thoughts?

Ok, I have a new problem...

For some reason when I start my aircraft, the gimbal is rolled about 30-degrees or so. Everything looks slanted horizotally.

This has happened the last four times when starting the aircraft.

I have to find some (more or less) level ground and then auto calibrate it, and the gimbal returns to normal.

But the next time I power up, the gimbal will be slanted horizontally again.

When the aircraft is NOT powered on it seems like the gimbal is balanced just fine. I can adjust it and it will stay in place to wherever I move it.

Any thoughts?
Gosh your drone busy today,,have you tryed playing with this roll setting or same result....ps mine on 2 or it sits crooked aswell could never fix it,p3s.
Screenshot_20190411-162743.jpg
Screenshot_20190411-162728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh your drone busy today,,have you tryed playing with this roll setting or same result....ps mine on 2 or it sits crooked aswell could never fix it,p3s.View attachment 110534View attachment 110538

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I did try to adjust the gimbal roll using that method and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. The amount of adjustment is negligible. The gimbal roll adjustment was set at 0, and adjusting the roll didn't help really at all.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I did try to adjust the gimbal roll using that method and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. The amount of adjustment is negligible. The gimbal roll adjustment was set at 0, and adjusting the roll didn't help really at all.
Um I have heard of some doing a gimble calibration upside down,give that a go,I know it sound stupid but has worked for a couple

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Thanks for the response.

Hey found this turn all on and loosen this grub screw or is it cam that's offset,.
Screenshot_20190414-155805.jpg

I’ve had the same issue with my P3P. I have to calibrate the gimbal before each flight and 99% of the time it’s ok, but sometimes I have to do it twice.

I opened up the back cover and removed the circuit board and used a pliers to adjust the roll, and it got a little better, but still a bit wonky- maybe 20 degrees. Not sure if my circuit board is bad or if there is something else going on.

Hey found this turn all on and loosen this grub screw or is it cam that's offset,.View attachment 110539

If you loosen that screw - you will most likely introduce Jello .... as myself and others found that possibly factory had not 'pressed' the arm fully home before tightening. The slight gap and we are talking tiny such that hard to see was enough to cause jello.
That screw has nothing to do with roll or angle of the camera ...

Reactions: tunadoctor
So the weird thing is this all happened once I had the issue with my phone and my radio transmitter not connecting. I mentioned in another thread that everything was working fine, then one day last week, I turned on my transmitter (with the USB plugged into my phone) and the radio transmitter made a long loud beep sound. I turned it off, unplugged, and restarted, and then the phone wouldn't connect anymore to the transmitter.

Anyway, I don't know if somehow that messed things up on the aircraft. Or the fact that I am using a different phone?

Is there a more thorough reset I can do to try and work through this instead of taking it apart?

So the weird thing is this all happened once I had the issue with my phone and my radio transmitter not connecting. I mentioned in another thread that everything was working fine, then one day last week, I turned on my transmitter (with the USB plugged into my phone) and the radio transmitter made a long loud beep sound. I turned it off, unplugged, and restarted, and then the phone wouldn't connect anymore to the transmitter.

Anyway, I don't know if somehow that messed things up on the aircraft. Or the fact that I am using a different phone?

Is there a more thorough reset I can do to try and work through this instead of taking it apart?
Only camera reset in app that I'm aware of

Reactions: tunadoctor
If you loosen that screw - you will most likely introduce Jello .... as myself and others found that possibly factory had not 'pressed' the arm fully home before tightening. The slight gap and we are talking tiny such that hard to see was enough to cause jello.
That screw has nothing to do with roll or angle of the camera ...
Very good what screw does ,all good saying I'm wrong but without corection if was mine I twist it with plyers, how would you do it,,chap needs help here was just a idea

hi, a have a same problem, p3 4k... i need to calibrate gimball after every restart:/ if you have a solution, please share with me:) the copter ever lose the memory at every turnout?

Very good what screw does ,all good saying I'm wrong but without corection if was mine I twist it with plyers, how would you do it,,chap needs help here was just a idea

Fine ... I was just saying that the screw highlighted will not correct the slanted camera. It will cause Jello if slacked or altered. It has only effect on horizontal rotation of the gimbal.

I would suggest and this is only a suggestion without having the machine in hand ... that the lower part of the gimbal arm that has the 'roll' part carrying the camera may be at fault.

My P3P had a small slant to horizon for some time ... I calibrated gimbal ... played with it ... but mine was nowhere near 30 deg as the OP mentions. I just persevered and eventually it sorted out. How I did it escapes me now ...
I know there was a post somewhere a guy mentioned resetting arm alignment - but it was lower part ...

Well... still having this problem. I am using the aircraft with a different radio transmitter and the gimbal is still slanted at start up.

I haven't crashed, but I remember I did make the bonehead move of starting the aircraft up with the camera / gimbal guard in place and got the dreaded "gimbal overload" warning in the app before I realized it. I am guessing that had something to do with this issue.

I have this same issue. I tried an IMU Calibration, but no luck. It is slanted about 30 degrees every time I start it up. Works fine after calibration though.

I will post an answer in here if I ever figure it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.