Gimbal freaked out mid-flight, now won't return to center...

Reaction score
So the other day my gimbal freaked out mid-flight (unfortunately I wasn't recording so I don't have any video of this) and now it won't return to center. I have tried to reset to factory settings, and I've also done the IMU calibration- nothing helps. I can manually pull the gimbal to center but it returns to the left as soon as I release it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

There is a gimbal-reset calibration within the camera settings that's different than the compass calibration or the IMU calibration. You might try that. Place the Phantom on a flat level place (just like with the IMU calibration) and follow the prompts. Press each item just once. For a while, it will look like it's not doing anything, then suddenly it will swing around. It will confirm when it's finished.

How do I get to this menu? I have looked all through the camera settings and haven't found anything along those lines...

How do I get to this menu? I have looked all through the camera settings and haven't found anything along those lines...
I just did it to make sure it's still there on the new GO application. It's identical on the older Pilot app, too.

Remove the gimbal lock, and start everything normally on a table or level surface. No propellers, of course, and no need to start the motors. Allow the app to go to the normal camera view.

On the top line, you can press the far-right icon (settings), or the place (just to the right of the Home icon) that usually says P-GPS, but it's P-ATTI indoors.

On the left, you'll see a bunch of little icons. Press the camera one toward the bottom. You'll get the Gimbal menu. The third item is "Gimbal Auto Calibration". Use that one (for now). Don't touch the others. It will confirm that you want to proceed. Press OK. Then don't touch it! It will tell you when it's done.

Reactions: 400ftFLORIDIAN
Oh, yeah, I tried that one, as well as the IMU calibration under the sensors menu. Neither worked. Thanks for trying to help though! Looks like I'm going to have to send it in, which is ridiculous because since it happened mid-air it's obviously not a mechanical issue. I'm running the most current software/firmware/etc so I know that's not an issue either.

I took mine up for a successful flight tonight and the exact same thing happened!!! Is there something that can be done or do I need to send it in for repair?

I took mine up for a successful flight tonight and the exact same thing happened!!! Is there something that can be done or do I need to send it in for repair?

Hey Digger4ku. Unfortunately I don't have any good news for you. After speaking with the (super non-helpful) folks at DJI all they told me was that I would have to send it in for servicing, which could take up to 8 weeks and cost hundreds of dollars. I was running the most current firmware. I tried both methods of gimbal calibration but nothing worked. In my frustration (I didn't have 8 weeks to wait around for it to be repaired) I opened the silver door on the underside of the gimbal, thinking maybe something had shaken loose and I could return the gimbal to center that way, but I saw nothing. Then I monkeyed around with the little half moon space (putting a small screwdriver in there and turning it around) where the largest gimbal arm attaches to the base, and was able to get the gimbal to center a little more, but it was still like 5 or 10 degrees off center. I highly recommend NOT doing this, as when I attempted to put the little door back on I discovered that the gimbal arm was now closer to the base, thus preventing me from sliding the door into place.

Now my very expensive toy is sitting back in the US being neglected because the gimbal still doesn't center, and if I manually fix it in place it fights against it and the feed is all wobbley. I am incredibly disappointed and although I know this mostly my fault for messing with something I didn't understand, the initial problem was caused by DJI's inferior software. I wish I had never bought this stupid drone. I knew before I bought it that people were experiencing software issues and flyaways but I foolishly told myself it wouldn't happen to me! What a mistake. :'(

My best advice to you would be to send it in. Otherwise you will probably break it even more and it will cost more to fix than it is worth. Mine was still under warranty when I monkeyed with it and I should have just sent it in, fought for the repair coats to be covered and accepted the fact that I wouldn't have it for this trip. At least it would be waiting for me when I get back.

Oh, yeah, I tried that one, as well as the IMU calibration under the sensors menu. Neither worked. Thanks for trying to help though! Looks like I'm going to have to send it in, which is ridiculous because since it happened mid-air it's obviously not a mechanical issue. I'm running the most current software/firmware/etc so I know that's not an issue either.
Did you check the grub screw at the base where the gimbal arm attaches- it has to be tight to the flat side of the shaft.. They do slip and cause this problem.

Yes I would check what bobmyers suggested. I've worked on a few of these, and it's no fun. That's a fairly easy check to make.

I crashed mine this morning and everything else is fine except the Gimbal is a few degrees yawed to the left. Sounds like I need to check that screw too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you check the grub screw at the base where the gimbal arm attaches- it has to be tight to the flat side of the shaft.. They do slip and cause this problem.

Thanks for this info. Can you please post a photo of what you are talking about? I will have to wait until I am back on the US to do anything about it but I appreciate the advice!

Laura,
this is the screw Bob is referring to. it's a 1.5mm hex.
but i don't think that's your problem. i've had quite few gimbals in the shop with the same problem and it was the potentiometer on the main board.

IMG_0072.JPG

image1 (4).JPG

Hey Hunch,

Thanks for the reply! I bet that is the problem. I am out of the US for the next 6 months but when I get back I will definitely be looking into this...

Unfortunately I had the door to the electrical compartment off (trying to see if I could figure out why my gimbal wasn't returning to center) and didn't realize it had slipped until I was putting the door back on and during the process I broke a couple components off of the motherboard! I took it for a short, low altitude flight and everything seemed ok but who knows what they are for! Probably something really important like the return to home function. :D

So you guys do drone repair? If so, sounds like I might be sending my drone your way in 6 months. :D

Anyone figure anything out in this? I've had the same issue with mine but can confirm that the issue can be non board related as I had a extra gimbal to swap out with. And it was the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.