Gigapixels pano with P4

Reaction score
I would like to create a gigapixel panorama with my phantom 4. The problem is the lens.

To create a nice gigapixel pano you need a program like Litchi, a software like ICE but also a lens with a narrow FOV. The stock lens is 94 degrees fov which is perfect for flying but not to create gigapixels panorama.

So at this point I want to replace the lens with a way more narrow one.

The lens thread is a common M12. The problem is that I can't really find any lens with at least 25mm and 10 megapixels quality. Most of the 25mm ones are 5mp.

Not sure if someone knows where to get a nice 25mm lens with 10mp at least or any other solution. I am looking for a very narrow fov with high zoom. This will allow to create a very nice gigapixel pano shooting 40/50 photos per each level on 5/8 levels or more.

Thanks!

I would like to create a gigapixel panorama with my phantom 4. The problem is the lens.

To create a nice gigapixel pano you need a program like Litchi, a software like ICE but also a lens with a narrow FOV. The stock lens is 94 degrees fov which is perfect for flying but not to create gigapixels panorama.

So at this point I want to replace the lens with a way more narrow one.

The lens thread is a common M12. The problem is that I can't really find any lens with at least 25mm and 10 megapixels quality. Most of the 25mm ones are 5mp.

Not sure if someone knows where to get a nice 25mm lens with 10mp at least or any other solution. I am looking for a very narrow fov with high zoom. This will allow to create a very nice gigapixel pano shooting 40/50 photos per each level on 5/8 levels or more.

Thanks!
The narrowest fov I can find is 72 degrees at 10 mp. 4.35mm f/2.8 72d HFOV 10MP(No Distortion) – Peau Productions

Firstly, the megapixel resolution of the imaging system is determined by the sensor. There is no such thing as a 10 or 5 megapixel lens. I suspect you are trying to source an additional lens assembly which will provide a narrower field of view. These are available in various filter ring sizes however unlikely anything close to the small size of the phantom. In any case even the higher quality ones I have seen all significantly reduce image quality.

Assuming you could find one you will get poor results. Any increase in focal length will significantly degrade the performance of the image stabilisation system. The reason is simple, and not unlike the limitations evident in hand held photography. Most people can take a photo hand held at a shutter speed of 1/focal length shutter speed (35mm full frame equivalent). The longer the lens (narrower field of view) the shorter the required exposure. Narrower field of view = higher magnification which means any movement of the camera during the exposure will be more apparent and your chances of acceptable sharpness in the resulting image are greatly reduced.

Thanks for the information. 72 degrees is too much. I have found a nice 25mm lens that will fit. The only concern is about the quality of the image. It's mean for up to 1/2 sensors so considering that the p4 have a 1/2.3 that's OK. I will just have to test the quality. Testing is the only way to understand. I have nothing to lose other that some time. But for me time spent on testing is exciting!
If you have more advices you are welcome! I have just bought the 25mm lens.
My plan is to be able to shoot not less than 30 images per each level. So for that to make sense at lease a 25mm is required.

W la figa

Thanks for the information. 72 degrees is too much. I have found a nice 25mm lens that will fit. The only concern is about the quality of the image. It's mean for up to 1/2 sensors so considering that the p4 have a 1/2.3 that's OK. I will just have to test the quality. Testing is the only way to understand. I have nothing to lose other that some time. But for me time spent on testing is exciting!
If you have more advices you are welcome! I have just bought the 25mm lens.
My plan is to be able to shoot not less than 30 images per each level. So for that to make sense at lease a 25mm is required.

W la figa
This is confusing. What is this "25mm lens" you are talking about? If it's 25mm focal length equivalent on 35mm full frame is pretty much exactly what Sinsalo linked to. It will be close to 35mm if designed for a 1/2 sensor.

Hmmm kinda confusing yes. I am looking for a lens with at least the equivalent of 10 to 15x zoom

W la figa

Ok... you won't get a 10 to 15x zoom in the phantom and if you could it could only be adjusted in flight by an additional control system.

Unfortunately the application you are chasing will require a significantly larger airframe and an M43 interchangeable lens camera at a minimum.

Assuming zoom wasn't critical even at 10 times higher magnification the phantom image stabilisation would not deal with the added weight. What zoom did you expect from the 25mm lens?

This will be very difficult to do from a drone

As someone who once had the largest picture on gigapan website once i think i can chime in to say the problems listed above are correct
Not to mention the time it would take to take that the many photos that would be required may mean ur battery is not up to it. I think the biggest problem though would be image stabilization and slight movement of the drone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4