Getting to 500 meters (1,640 feet)

Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestions on getting to 500 meters? I’ve tried doing it. I was 400 feet away and I had the antenna pointed right. When I get past 1000 feet, I lose signal. Have any tips.

Reactions: Ekki
P3s. I have the antenna at a 90 degree angle/tip pointed up.
1,000 to 1,600 feet is fairly typical for a P3S. Conditions vary. Obviously avoid trees and buildings that could block your signal.

Have you considered a wind surfer? You might also look into an Itelite DBS antenna. You would need to install it and any mods to your contoller will void the warranty.

whats the area look like that your taking the drone UP at......describe hilly buildings trees wires ect.
Do you still have a visual when you loose the signal ?
Are you pointing the RC unit at the drone ?

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
P3s. I have the antenna at a 90 degree angle/tip pointed up.
You get optimum signal when the antennas in the legs and on the controller are parallel to and facing each other.
When you go high above yourself, it's impossible to keep that geometry and you lose signal.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Do you guys have any suggestions on getting to 500 meters? I’ve tried doing it. I was 400 feet away and I had the antenna pointed right. When I get past 1000 feet, I lose signal. Have any tips.
Do you mean distance or height? That is not entirely clear to me. And ... in which part of the world do you fly (either in CE mode or FCC mode).

If you want maximum signal range straight up then the stick antennas on the controller should be set parallel to the ground. RF signal radiates perpendicular to the axis of the stick antenna. However I don't encourage anyone to fly that high because it is unsafe to be in the same altitude range as manned aircraft. In the US the recommendation is not to fly UAS above 400 ft. AGL. I think DJI is putting that limit into the current firmwares.

Reactions: offroadpyro

Altitude is no different from any other distance when it come to communication. Can you fly horizontally 1640'?

Which phantom?

What is your idea of antennas pointed right?
I had my P4P set for RTH and took off when the Phantom didn't stop going up and I thought it was lost. I looked at the flight records and it showed 1,450 feet. I held the stick full down but I lost sight of it. When it came down it came down at full speed . Total destruction and I did Not want it to go up that high. Antennas were pointed at mid position.

I had my P4P set for Beginner and took off when the Phantom didn't stop going up and I thought it was lost. I looked at the flight records and it showed 1,450 feet. I held the stick full down but I lost sight of it. When it came down it came down at full speed . Total destruction and I did Not want it to go up that high. Antennas were pointed at mid position.
Oh yes I hit return to home in a panic..

I looked at the flight records and it showed 1,450 feet. I held the stick full down but I lost sight of it.
If you could share that flight log, we might get a hint of how this happened. I have seen 2 incidences of a P4 with a stuck throttle. Nothing the Pilot could do. Possibly this is your case as well.

Reactions: Ripper7620
Altitude is no different from any other distance when it come to communication. Can you fly horizontally 1640'?
Actually it is a lot different. Minimum range (signal strength) is with the phantom directly overhead, even with the dipoles on the controller laid flat. This is simply because of the radiation pattern of the phantom antenna.

My suggestion? Don't do it - at least intentionally!

Reactions: rangioran

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves