Getting ready to fly P3P in Israel.....or not

Reaction score
On my way to Israel on a tour and took my P3P with me. No issues when I checked it. They asked about batteries and I opened the case and showed them what I had and how they were well protected. Not sure how it will be when I get to the most secure airport in the world upon arrival. However, if asked where I will fly, my response will be, "Nowhere unless I get permission or there is a general or specific model aviation rule to follow for photographers.

I'll report back on check in and what guidelines are given. The "money" shot I really want to get is from the top of Massada, if I can!

Reactions: Goldni
There will be no problem when you arrive, also should be not a problem when you will leave Israel.
I suggest not to fly with EL-AL, then you good to go.
Massada is a great place and also the Dead-Sea, I also look forward to go back with my P3A and do some shots, so keep us posted... ;)
Have a nice journey! :) ****, I envy U... :D

Arrived Tel Aviv this morning with zero problems or questions. Hotel is on the Mediterranean so maybe I can get a nice sunset pic. It's pretty windy, but at least the wind is blowing in to shore and not out to sea!

Didn't take a chance on flying today at the Med Sea due to high winds. Tomorrow is Sea of Galilee.

Reactions: kminton327
The wind in TLV is *always* from the direction of the sea to the city ;)
The Sea of Galilee is also a nice place! Hopefully not windy as TLV :D
And yes, as I was told you, there is no problem at arrivals

Here is a P3P pic of the Kibbutz, on the sea of Galilee, I am staying in for a couple of days. What an awesome place! Heading to the Jordan River tomorrow. No problems flying here but didn't take a chance on flying while in the Golan Heights. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! LOL. Would not be a cool thing to see a Patriot Missile take out my P3P!

Attachments

• Kibbutz - 1.jpg
    Kibbutz - 1.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 577
Last edited:
I was just at Masada yesterday. I considered bringing my P3A with me but decided not to. The winds on top of Masada were minimal (easily handled by the P3). Suggest you find a place a way from people so as not to attract attention. There were only two people when I descended the steps to the Northern Palace. That would be an awesome place to get a great view.

Masada was a no go. Got past the guard the first time, then she came up to me when I got in the door and asked me what I had. I told her a camera and she looked at me and the hard case with that "what kind" of camera look. When I said flying camera she said that she couldn't allow it. I was not about to risk a security breach. I asked if I kept it away from people and she still said no. She was extremely apologetic and apologized again when I left and walked by her. Actually, they had to chase down our tour bus to come back so I could put it back in the bus. I knew it would be iffy, but it was worth a shot at it. There were fighter jets whizzing by, so, I completely get it with no problems!

Is Masada's top higher than 500m from its surroundings? If not, you could set the flight ceiling to 500m (that's the maximum) and fly your Phantom from the big carpark down, or from anywhere else within about 1Km away from Masada. Just remember that RTH time will be long (just the vertical descending of 500m takes about 4 mins).

Is Masada's top higher than 500m from its surroundings? If not, you could set the flight ceiling to 500m (that's the maximum) and fly your Phantom from the big carpark down, or from anywhere else within about 1Km away from Masada. Just remember that RTH time will be long (just the vertical descending of 500m takes about 4 mins).

Could have done that, but I imagine the resulting fall-out would not have been good.....for me or the Phantom! Some places I would take a chance, but Israel is not one of them.

I am flying in to Tel Aviv and then heading to Bethlehem for awhile and really want to take my phantom 3. I just have a strong fear of having alot of issues there. Reading the post it seems like its ok. Does the app show the no fly zones? I checked from the app but when i look over there it does not show any NFZ. Thanks for the help.

I had no problem taking and flying my Phantom in Israel. I didn't fly in Tel Aviv. I imagine that if one is careful of their surroundings it would be OK. I would stay away from the airport at ALL costs though.

My coworker just returned from a trip to Israel. He arrived at Tel Aviv airport via Delta flight and was selected for screening. They looked in his phantom DJI backpack case and saw the P3A. They asked how much it was. They knew what it was. He said he paid $799. Hey said its worth $ 1000 USD and said he had to pay tax on it even though he was leaving the country with it in a week. They then asked if he had the registration? I Guess there is somewhere you need to register it in Israel sort of like U.S. He said he didn't have it. They told him he would not be able to take it into Israel. They collected a refundable tax (around $150USD) and they kept the drone in customs hold at the airport complex. When he left he had to check in, tell them he needed to collect the drone, show the paperwork Israel customs gave him and then they showed up at the gate with paperwork for him to sign saying he is receiving his drone back. They never physically gave him back the drone. After he signed the paperwork they said they would put the backpack with drone on the plane. He actually didn't see the drone until he landed at ATL and grabbed his baggage to recheck it for the next flight. Ironically, when they confiscated the drone on entry he put the batteries in the backpack. the batteries were in the backpack when they returned it to him and they put it on the plane (with checked baggage). He mentioned it but they said they would not open the backpack and it went as it was packed.
So, be careful. Seems some don't have problems but some do. He was selected for screening coming in. If your not randomly selected I guess you will be fine. Otherwise make sure you have all the required paperwork. I plan to take mine to Israel next time I go so I was glad i got this helpful info from him. He ended up calling a couple of organizations in Israel they gave him numbers to but that ended up being no help. If I recall they told him to call the Israel Aero club? I think it was but no answer while he was in country. Just make sure you comply with whatever rules they have just in case they want to check you out.

My coworker just returned from a trip to Israel. He arrived at Tel Aviv airport via Delta flight and was selected for screening. They looked in his phantom DJI backpack case and saw the P3A. They asked how much it was. They knew what it was. He said he paid $799. Hey said its worth $ 1000 USD and said he had to pay tax on it even though he was leaving the country with it in a week. They then asked if he had the registration? I Guess there is somewhere you need to register it in Israel sort of like U.S. He said he didn't have it. They told him he would not be able to take it into Israel. They collected a refundable tax (around $150USD) and they kept the drone in customs hold at the airport complex. When he left he had to check in, tell them he needed to collect the drone, show the paperwork Israel customs gave him and then they showed up at the gate with paperwork for him to sign saying he is receiving his drone back. They never physically gave him back the drone. After he signed the paperwork they said they would put the backpack with drone on the plane. He actually didn't see the drone until he landed at ATL and grabbed his baggage to recheck it for the next flight. Ironically, when they confiscated the drone on entry he put the batteries in the backpack. the batteries were in the backpack when they returned it to him and they put it on the plane (with checked baggage). He mentioned it but they said they would not open the backpack and it went as it was packed.
So, be careful. Seems some don't have problems but some do. He was selected for screening coming in. If your not randomly selected I guess you will be fine. Otherwise make sure you have all the required paperwork. I plan to take mine to Israel next time I go so I was glad i got this helpful info from him. He ended up calling a couple of organizations in Israel they gave him numbers to but that ended up being no help. If I recall they told him to call the Israel Aero club? I think it was but no answer while he was in country. Just make sure you comply with whatever rules they have just in case they want to check you out.
They took mine today and said to visit customs in the morning, didnt have to pay but they told me i may have to pay a finex waiting to see how much. They are not allowed to leave the airport in tel aviv so i would advise noone to bring one

Hi Paulie, What drone do you have that they confiscated? I'm considering to bring a mavic into Israel and paying for the Aero club licensing.

Any one have thoughts about this?

Ive tried to contact the CAA and Customs with no reply.

Cheers

Flew in to Israel a week ago with my DJI Phantom 4 + a week ago on a carnet. No issues. Filmed at Sea of Galilee and outskirts of Jerusalem no problems. I'd love to shoot Masada but sounds like s hassle.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor