Getting altitude on Google maps or similar

Reaction score
I'm just planning some missions with litchi and wanted to check the terrain altitude / elevation at some of the points. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can do this on Google maps or if not is there any other app for Android that you can do it on. I'm not talking about actually going to the location and getting the altitude, I mean you pick a point on the map and it tells you the altitude of that point.

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think there is a way. But I use daftlogic.com. You pick two points and it gives the distance and the elevation above sea level of both points and everything in between.

I'm just planning some missions with litchi and wanted to check the terrain altitude / elevation at some of the points. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can do this on Google maps

AFAIK Litchi Mission Hub uses Google maps for the elevation data. So just add the elevation to the desired AC altitude. Then open and verify the mission on the mobile device with Litchi.

I'm just planning some missions with litchi and wanted to check the terrain altitude / elevation at some of the points. Just wondering if anyone knows if you can do this on Google maps or if not is there any other app for Android that you can do it on. I'm not talking about actually going to the location and getting the altitude, I mean you pick a point on the map and it tells you the altitude of that point.
As easy as in Google Earth on the computer ... not so in Android

Google Earth altitudes are 'informational only'. They are not particularly accurate. Give yourself a healthy margin of safety or you might experience what pilots call 'controlled descent into terrain'.

Google Earth altitudes are 'informational only'. They are not particularly accurate. Give yourself a healthy margin of safety or you might experience what pilots call 'controlled descent into terrain'.

The GE DEM is pretty good in well-mapped areas, but it is ground elevation - it does not take into account trees or structures. Unless another company or agency has flown and published detailed LIDAR data for a given area, GE is about as good as it gets.

Hivemapper might have this functionality? I know a big part of their sell is that they have very accurate altitude readings while in flight but I'm not sure if you can "point and click."

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl