Fresh New England Snowfall

Reaction score
Early in the morning after a heavy New England snowstorm, the trees still carry their loads of white powdery snow.

Shot with a P3S. Post-processign in Adobe Premiere CC. Music by Kai Engel.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Beautiful, all manual flying?
Thanks. No not manual. It's really quite difficult to achieve simultaneous pans and tilts while moving the drone in a circular path. I used the Litchi app for planning the missions that were edited together in this video.

Here's the latest development: I posted the video onto Facebook. It was picked up by ABC news, edited (sigh), and put onto their Facebook news feed. It's at a lower resolution, cropped to 4:3, and with their own music. But, their copy of the video has my own name on top. So far, it has had over 350,000 views!!! The link to the Facebook page is
Now this morning, it was featured on the local ABC television outlet WCVB. See below.

I found out that it was shown nationwide this morning on Good Morning America.

Nice to get the exposure, but did they at least ask permission to use your footage? While news agencies have a lot of latitude in what they can show with out permissions or releases, they can't just appropriate someone else's imagery. Even if you post it somewhere like YouTube.

Yes, I gave ABC permission to use my video. I found a bootleg copy on YouTube, and got it taken down.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What camera settings did you use when you filmed this? Did you do a lot of color grading?

Thanks, Tyler

What camera settings did you use when you filmed this? Did you do a lot of color grading?

Thanks, Tyler
Hi Tyler, the P3S camera was set to 1080p, 30fps, D-log, manual shutter, 100ISO. I don't remember the shutter speed - I just used the histogram to set the exposure once the bird was up in the air. As it was totally overcast, the exposure was good all morning. All the style settings (contrast, sharpness, and saturation) and are set in 'custom' at -2. The raw footage looks completely bland. Just as intended. Then I take the clips into Premiere CC and do grading and correcting. Final output is usually in1080p MP4 format. Often I shoot in 2.7K or 4K (with my P3P), but I almost always produce final versions in 1080p.

Hi Tyler, the P3S camera was set to 1080p, 30fps, D-log, manual shutter, 100ISO. I don't remember the shutter speed - I just used the histogram to set the exposure once the bird was up in the air. As it was totally overcast, the exposure was good all morning. All the style settings (contrast, sharpness, and saturation) and are set in 'custom' at -2. The raw footage looks completely bland. Just as intended. Then I take the clips into Premiere CC and do grading and correcting. Final output is usually in1080p MP4 format. Often I shoot in 2.7K or 4K (with my P3P), but I almost always produce final versions in 1080p.
I am very new to all this and I am very good in Adobe premiere (2 yrs experience), but I never really got into color grading footage. I want to fly my drone to get stunning videos and I am good at capturing the film. I just struggle with camera settings and color grading. Are there any tips or videos you have on color grading? Also, I live in Florida and it is bright out a lot and I need decent camera setting for that too. Here is some of my work: Tyler Welsh: Drone Videographer
(That is my channel)

Thanks for the input.

I.... Are there any tips or videos you have on color grading? Also, I live in Florida and it is bright out a lot and I need decent camera setting for that too...
I learned color grading by watching a bunch of YouTube videos searching for 'color grading'. As for camera settings, in general you should shoot at the highest resolution you can IF you have the computer horsepower to edit it. 4K video is extremely demanding on hardware, and even some new computers struggle to handle it without stuttering and dropped frames. I've found that video that is shot in 4K after it is downsized to 1080p looks better than similar video shot in 1080p. Shooting in higher resolution also gives you the ability to zoom in a bit without sacrificing any video quality.

Finally, unless it's darkly overcast (like the day I shot the snowfall video), I use ND filters so I can set the shutter speed to twice the frame rate.

I learned color grading by watching a bunch of YouTube videos searching for 'color grading'. As for camera settings, in general you should shoot at the highest resolution you can IF you have the computer horsepower to edit it. 4K video is extremely demanding on hardware, and even some new computers struggle to handle it without stuttering and dropped frames. I've found that video that is shot in 4K after it is downsized to 1080p looks better than similar video shot in 1080p. Shooting in higher resolution also gives you the ability to zoom in a bit without sacrificing any video quality.

Finally, unless it's darkly overcast (like the day I shot the snowfall video), I use ND filters so I can set the shutter speed to twice the frame rate.
I have a couple ND Filters I just have never got around to using any if them. I will probably use them much more. I am trying to understand color grading but the charts/graphs really confuse me. But I have a P3A which is 2.7K and my MacBook Pro handles it great! Thanks for the advice.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20