Frequencies used by Phantoms

DoomMeister

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I have a question about the RC and WiFi frequencies used by the Phantoms.

Am I correct that the RC Control is a 2.4GHz signal and the WiFi for video feed is 5.8GHz?

I have a member in another forum using an Itelite range extending antenna designed for use on a Phantom with another manufacturer’s controller. I suspect that is causing his video feed problems.

Thanks for your help.

You can find frequencies used by the different models in the specs for the particular model.

Look for "Operating Frequency"

Capture.JPG

P3s is 5.8 and 2.4 ....5.8 transmission and 2.4 signal ,,,p4s is 2.4 for both signals
P34k is 5.725 to 5.825ghz

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

I’m pretty sure from your response and further research on the web that he has mismatched antennas. Think he was trying to save money using the same range extender and hope he didn’t mess up the transmitter.

I have been flying for over two years and have never NOT been warned about the 2.4 cellphone frequency interfering. I ignore it, never had a real problem keeping in control.

Am I correct that the RC Control is a 2.4GHz signal and the WiFi for video feed is 5.8GHz?

I have a member in another forum using an Itelite range extending antenna designed for use on a Phantom with another manufacturer’s controller. I suspect that is causing his video feed problems.

Thanks for your help.

DJI nomenclature is vague in this regard, citing only "Operating Frequencies." Well...okay....what is controlling what and on which frequency??? Here's what I've gathered from my years of experience:

1) Control is always 2.4Ghz across all platforms.
2) Video feed can be either 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz for drones that offer that option. In lieu of that option, video feed is 2.4Ghz.
3) Telemetry comes down on the same frequency as video feed (but that's speculation).
4) For dual controllers, they talk to one another via a BlueToothish 2.4Ghz protocol, but receive video and telemetry data directly from the bird. The secondary controller operates the camera through the primary controller. In "Auto" mode (which I hate and should be avoided like the plague), the main controller does the channel switching, and then sends those commands to the secondary controller. There seems to be some channel switching latency, which can wreak havoc with video feeds. So I never, ever use "auto" mode.

It would be nice if DJI published technical data, but they don't. It would also be nice if they were forthcoming and comprehensive with their firmware/software release notes, but they aren't. So we're basically stuck figuring this stuff out on our own. Thanx for nothing, DJI!

D

DJI nomenclature is vague in this regard, citing only "Operating Frequencies." Well...okay....what is controlling what and on which frequency??? Here's what I've gathered from my years of experience:

1) Control is always 2.4Ghz across all platforms.
2) Video feed can be either 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz for drones that offer that option. In lieu of that option, video feed is 2.4Ghz.
3) Telemetry comes down on the same frequency as video feed (but that's speculation).
4) For dual controllers, they talk to one another via a BlueToothish 2.4Ghz protocol, but receive video and telemetry data directly from the bird. The secondary controller operates the camera through the primary controller. In "Auto" mode (which I hate and should be avoided like the plague), the main controller does the channel switching, and then sends those commands to the secondary controller. There seems to be some channel switching latency, which can wreak havoc with video feeds. So I never, ever use "auto" mode.
I am looking at my first drone to buy. It will likely be a second-hand Phantom 4.

Phantom 4 Advanced does not have both 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz as an RC Operating Frequency, only 2.4GHz. What am I compromising if I don't have 5.8GHz available?
I am in Australia, where both frequencies are allowed.

I am looking at my first drone to buy. It will likely be a second-hand Phantom 4.

Phantom 4 Advanced does not have both 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz as an RC Operating Frequency, only 2.4GHz. What am I compromising if I don't have 5.8GHz available?
I am in Australia, where both frequencies are allowed.
I'm the wrong guy to ask because I utilize the 32-channel hack on all my drones. So I can always find an open channel on the 2.4Ghz network. But for those of you limited to 8 channels, your drone can benefit from 5Ghz in "WiFi saturated" areas.

If I'm going longer distance, I always use 2.4Ghz. If there are more objects like buildings and trees, and I'm not flying that far way, I sometimes use 5Ghz. But remember, control is always 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz is just for video feed and telemetry (I believe).

D

Reactions: Wollemi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20