FPV with HeadPlay HD-review

What get me with everyhing you buy these days is that you have to modify it to make it work properly. Why the hell can't they put a big enough battery in from the start? Or the dioptre adjustment? Shoddy design!

Reactions: DrJoe
Hi, I'm new to the site and to drones in general. I'm from Yorkton Sk and I had a quick question

I have the Phantom 4 and an iPad mini 2. I was curious of anyone has used any FPV goggles like the Fat Shark brand? If you use FPV googles, can I get rid go my iPad mini 2, or will i still need the iPad to input changes to my settings, or can I make those changes through the FPV googles too? Has anyone ad any experience with these?

You will still need the iPad. FPV goggles usually need some sort of HDMI output from the controller. So you will need to buy and install (easy to do) an HDMI module from DJI onto your controller. The on screen display (OSD) from the DJI HDMI output module while useful, does not display all of the features found in the DJI GO app. Another option is to switch to an NVidia Shield tablet (android) which has an HDMI output built in. In that case, the OSD output is a mirror of the DJI GO app.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianG
Not great. Mainly because of the screen size and lack of immersive experience.

Reactions: BrianG
Wow, glad I read this thread. I was ready to order these goggles but didn't realize they had no diopter or similar adjustment. Also, I wear contacts and use monovision (one eye sees far the other close). Will these goggles fit over a pair of glasses?

How do you interact with the Go App while wearing the HP?

You can't interact with the GO app while wearing the Headplay goggles. But, if you have the option enabled in GO (which you should), then telemetry data similar to what's in the GO title bar(s) will be displayed in the Headplay goggles. However it is read-only, you can't select or control anything.
If you need to change something in the GO app, you have to lift the goggles up a bit to see the tablet/phone GO display.
In actual use, I don't find this to be much of a problem at all.
However, I do like to fly two ways, one is to get interesting video or photography shots and two is just for sight-seeing and pure enjoyment.
For me, I find the Headplay goggles are best for first-person viewing and just general sight-seeing or touring.
Oddly enough, if I want to take good video or photos of a specific subject, I find I take better shots without using the Headplay goggles.
Another benefit with the goggles though is that in the bright daylight when a tablet view is washed out and hard to see, your goggles are still clear as always.

Reactions: sonof40
Bumping an old thread here, but I have a question.

Can anyone please point me at a link where I can get a hdmi mini to hdmi mini cable ?

All the ones that I have been able to find are type A to mini.
I really don't want an adaptor on the hdmi cable if it can be avoided. Surely someone makes a mini type c to mini type c hdmi cable.

My P4 is arriving this week, and I want to use my headplay s with it, so I'll need the cable soon.

Thanks in advance,

Edit: finally found one.

Jason.

Last edited:
I just read in your edit you found one, but in case you wanted to check out an alternative, go to RangeVideo.com.
They sell the HeadPlay goggles and have both type cables; type A hdmi to mini hdmi and the hdmi mini to hdmi mini.

Ultra-thin HDMI cable for Headplay

I just read in your edit you found one, but in case you wanted to check out an alternative, go to RangeVideo.com.
They sell the HeadPlay goggles and have both type cables; type A hdmi to mini hdmi and the hdmi mini to hdmi mini.

Ultra-thin HDMI cable for Headplay
Thanks.

That one looks like it will be better than the one I found on eBay.

Jason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20