FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

rbhamilton said:
rrmccabe said:
What happens when you lose connectivity while boosted?

Same thing that happens when running Angry Birds. As I said, the app makes zero difference whether running or not running.

I have not experienced loss of video signal while flying (with or without being "boosted") so what happens for me is that I get a message saying "control signal lost" then a moment later I get a message saying "return to home". I can see the video down-link the entire time. I can see the drone turn around and watch what it sees all the way back. Once it's come back a bit I can flip the SW1, regain control and fly it back manually or send it off somewhere else.

You need to upgrade your 5.8ghz control signal then. Of course you will say it doesn't work if your 2.4ghz camera link is maintained while your control link isn't. The app does not boost your control link.. Only the wifi link. Two totally separate links. Get yourself a patch or panel antenna for your controller, then come back and say it doesn't work.

rbhamilton said:
I have not experienced loss of video signal while flying (with or without being "boosted") so what happens for me is that I get a message saying "control signal lost" then a moment later I get a message saying "return to home". I can see the video down-link the entire time. I can see the drone turn around and watch what it sees all the way back. Once it's come back a bit I can flip the SW1, regain control and fly it back manually or send it off somewhere else.

You know what you just said means you have no way of knowing if the app works or not. At this point I am not going to endorse the app because I cant prove either way.

However, if you are running out of control (5.8) and you can see video the "entire time" then your issue is not wifi related (app or not). You cant say if the app is helping if you RTH before you run out of video. You have no way to test the app at this point.

rbhamilton said:
rrmccabe said:

Same thing that happens when running Angry Birds. As I said, the app makes zero difference whether running or not running.

Our booster app only boosts 2.4G FPV link as advertised if you have ever read it before purchase, and has nothing to do with 5.8G control link. Obviously, your antenna modded 2.4G FPV out fly 5.8G control link with/without boosted, thus you are unaware of any change because of the 5.8G link dropped before 2.4G FPV. This is the #1 misunderstanding as I mentioned in earlier post.

rbhamilton said:
rrmccabe said:

Like others have said here, you don't understand what the app does, yet you come on here like a troll and bash it repeatedly. It has NOTHING to do with your control of the quad, it only helps extend the range of the VIDEO!!! The fact that the video is still on and you have lost the control signal is likely evidence that the app IS working. By default, the P2V+ has more range on the controller than it does on the FPV, I might be wrong, but I believe the numbers are 800m for control, 700m for video.

For me it's made a difference of up to about 30-40%. Not bad for a couple of bucks.

rbhamilton said:
I know it's supposed to increase the range and stability for your video down-link. It doesn't do that for me. I get the same exact video down-link picture quality, stability, range, FPS

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, you're not expecting it to magically increase the picture quality, right? You still have to set it in the DJI Vision app settings. But the app purports (I have not personally used it) that you'll still have the bandwidth/signal to go greater distance with the increased quality, otherwise the 640x480p30 setting has the potential to limit your video range.

rrmccabe said:
rbhamilton said:

You know what you just said means you have no way of knowing if the app works or not. At this point I am not going to endorse the app because I cant prove either way.

However, if you are running out of control (5.8) and you can see video the "entire time" then your issue is not wifi related (app or not). You cant say if the app is helping if you RTH before you run out of video. You have no way to test the app at this point.

If you always lose control signal before video signal, you are not a good candidate for the app unless you first extend your control range. This is not the developers fault, but rather your misunderstanding. The information describing how the app works is readily available prior to app purchase.

rbhamilton said:
Mako79 said:
rbhamilton said:
Doesn't really make any difference if you upgrade or not. This app does exactly nothing... well nothing except suck money out of your wallet.

You should do some light reading then post again.

I'm glad you guys find it works for you. I'm just reporting what it does for me. Which is a short report: Nothing.

I know it's supposed to increase the range and stability for your video down-link. It doesn't do that for me. I get the same exact video down-link picture quality, stability, range, FPS - everything EXACTLY the same - whether I'm running the App and "boosted" or not using the app. So for me, it does absolutely nothing.

This isn't really a problem because my video is rock solid all the way out to the limit of my control signal. Provided I've got a solid line of sight I've had mine out to 1970m (upgraded antenna) and no issues with the video at all. I shouldn't have purchased the app in the first place - clearly I didn't need it. But before I found out the app makes zero difference for my flights my 15 minutes had already passed.

But as I said, I'm glad it does something for you.

1970m is a nice range. I wonder if you upgraded both the antennas: the control signal and the video one. If you added an antenna on the range extender, then you are obviously already extending also your video range. Try to remove it and then test with and without the app to see if it makes a difference. Alternatively, get a greater antenna for your control signal and also add control antennas on your angry bird. This will allow it to fly farther and potentially give you a better environment for testing the video range.

rbhamilton said:
rrmccabe said:

So this begs the question, why did you even buy the app in the first place? You have apparently never even reached the limits of your wifi/video extender, but you purchase an app that will increase those limits? You say you understand what the app does, but if you do, then your purchasing the app makes ZERO sense. Of course the app does "nothing" for you, your controller can't take you far enough for the app to make a difference. And one final question, if, as you say, you knew what the app does, and you had exceeded your controller's range without exceeding your video wifi range, what did you expect the app would do for you?

WebMaximus said:
What's the latest regarding the new version for Android?
What's new in the latest FPV Booster V2.1 for Android comparing to V1.0?

(1) Interference Control Algorithm (ICA): The unique ICA outperforms Android booster V1.0 and other booster apps additional 50% FPV range with the same TX power by reducing interference from both environment and Vision+ aircraft’s own electronics. This is proven on iOS booster V2.0 that was released in late July.

(2) Smart Boost: It keeps monitoring Wifi signal every few seconds. If you out fly FPV range and get Phantom Connection Broken, it helps recovering FPV faster when you fly back in range.

PVFlyer said:
WebMaximus said:

(1) Interference Control Algorithm (ICA): The unique ICA outperforms Android booster V1.0 and other booster apps additional 50% FPV range with the same TX power by reducing interference from both environment and Vision+ aircraft’s own electronics. This is proven on iOS booster V2.0 that was released in late July.

(2) Smart Boost: It keeps monitoring Wifi signal every few seconds. If you out fly FPV range and get Phantom Connection Broken, it helps recovering FPV faster when you fly back in range.

Is the new app out? Just wondering I haven't seen an update for it

PVFlyer said:
WebMaximus said:

Thanks for the info but I was more thinking about what you said earlier about releasing the new version under a new developer's name to get around the issue you had uploading the new version to Google Play store and if you can give an estimate when that will happen?

WebMaximus said:
PVFlyer said:

Thanks for the info but I was more thinking about what you said earlier about releasing the new version under a new developer's name to get around the issue you had uploading the new version to Google Play store and if you can give an estimate when that will happen?
Changing developer and App ID in Android Studio (Android development tool) is a tedious job, especially Android Studio is so buggy on this. It doesn't have too much impact to other developers as they don't change App ID often, and we have been working on this. On Apple iOS, it just takes 5 minutes or so to get this done.

Meanwhile, we have been also working with Google to resolve such technical issue to avoid changing developer and App ID for easy upgrade.

What fpv goggles does the booster app work with and not? i watched a vid on the moverio epson goggles and they had to side load the dji app and they said nothing about the booster app could you please clarify which goggles will work with this app thanks Im getting good range with the booter app and don't want to lose it just for a pair of goggles :) thanks and allso very much looking forward to the new version for Android please let us know as soon as we can update!!!!

Ok, annoying when that kind of issue on Google's side is holding the new finished version back.

Regarding the Booster app you can use it with any glasses simply by keeping it on the device where you have it installed today and once you boosted your P2V+ you can connect to your Epson glasses for example.

This info is also available in the FAQ on the first page of this thread.

ftimster said:
What fpv goggles does the booster app work with and not? i watched a vid on the moverio epson goggles and they had to side load the dji app and they said nothing about the booster app could you please clarify which goggles will work with this app thanks Im getting good range with the booter app and don't want to lose it just for a pair of goggles :) thanks and allso very much looking forward to the new version for Android please let us know as soon as we can update!!!!
The booster app supports both iOS and Android regardless what goggles do you use. As Google Play store is unavailable on Moverio BT-200, there is no easy way to install the booster app on BT-200 AFAIK. You may refer to FAQ section of the OP "Q9. Can I boost Vision+ aircraft from one device and fly FPV with another device (including Epson Moverio BT-200)?" for details.

Interesting indeed. You wrote about increasing the preview to 720p... Would this ever happen do you think?

Zacca said:
Interesting indeed. You wrote about increasing the preview to 720p... Would this ever happen do you think?
I think we will need to do a bit more research on that, and I have a few concerns to stream 720p video below.

(1) Does P2V+ aircraft have sufficient power to process it?
(2) Does it have sufficient bandwidth to handle it? How much FPV range to be sacrificed?
(3) Does Android/iOS device have sufficient power to process it?
(4) What extra heat and power consumption would it introduce?

Maybe you can answer this question. Have been talking about it in another thread.

I have had a couple things that caught me off guard. I have to assume its DJI related. A couple days ago I had the FPV video freeze (no updates until I landed) but the telemetry was still rolling. This was for about 5 minutes/5000'. This was running your app.

Today I made a run over 8200' without your app and I I could see the blades spinning for a while but no telemetry updates.

As I said, it seems it has to be a DJI thing. Any light to shed on that. If it was simply something wrong with wifi I would think both would have to drop out.

rrmccabe said:
Maybe you can answer this question. Have been talking about it in another thread.

I have had a couple things that caught me off guard. I have to assume its DJI related. A couple days ago I had the FPV video freeze (no updates until I landed) but the telemetry was still rolling. This was for about 5 minutes/5000'. This was running your app.

Today I made a run over 8200' without your app and I I could see the blades spinning for a while but no telemetry updates.

As I said, it seems it has to be a DJI thing. Any light to shed on that. If it was simply something wrong with wifi I would think both would have to drop out.
This is a well known issue of both P2V/P2V+ and with/without booster app. When you out fly FPV range, it might not be able to regain FPV even you fly back in range, though telemetry data may keep rolling. An easy workaround is to back to main page, then tap CAMERA button to start over and hope to regain FPV. If this workaround does not work, then the only option is to land it and power cycle.

FYI, FPV and telemetry/camera control are using 2 different connections communicating to DJI VISION app, though they are using the same Wifi network. Thus, you may see sometimes FPV dropped but telemetry rolling or vice versa depending on how quick can they recover when you are back in range. However, if Wifi network dropped, then both FPV and telemetry are dropped for sure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor