Found a Cheap but Excellent Andoid Tablet for P3A/P....

It had 2updates over the past 3 days. I ran the last 1 yesterday and it's been oksince.

Much better battery life than before.

Specs wise it must be above the requirements as I'm flew at the max video bandwidthof 12mb or whatever and no issues.

I am an android guy. But after several tries, I gave up on trying to find an android tablet that would consistently work. I have the Mini 2 now. But interested, so following

Being in IT, I'm pretty picky with tablets and computers and I like my gadgets.
I have a bunch of Windows Tablets, Android Tablets and an iPoop Mini gathering dust, just for testing.
Honestly this new cheapo tablet is the best one I've had yet. Fast,Thin and I love the screen.
Wish it had 4G/LTE though.
Heck my Google NExus 7 with 4G/LTE from last year is not even compatible with the DJI Go app. Go Figure.

I'm sure the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (Not the low-res 'A' Version) is faster in 'some' aspects, maybe even better screen? But at $399 vs $149.95, it's a worthy risk . Glad I tried it.

Next Tablet I want is a true edge-to-edge 7" or 8" model, but those won't get here until end of 2016. Ugh.

Reactions: noki49
Actually the Assistant GPS in Ipads with no Cell connection is not how you think it works.
It is a fully functional GPS that does NOT require a Cellular connection. All it does 'extra' IF you have a cell connection is to find Satellites quicker.

Same for android. It either has or does not have GPS. No in-betweens.
Android has the same 'feature' in most newer smartphones but they don't advertise it as an enhanced feature because they aren't fake like Apple is.

iPad Mini Wifi does not have GPS. Without cellular, there is no fully functioning GPS.

I wanted to get a dedicated/new tablet for my P3S (and now the P3A).

I went to my local BestBuy (USA) and looked at all the tablets. I liked the 8" Smasung Galxy Tab2's as they were very nice and thin, but at a $300 price tag was a bit put off by that.

I then wen to the 'cheap' isle o the Tablets section... ;)

Most of them were junk, or heavy and thick, or old tech, until I came across this one :

INSIGNIA ELITE - 7.85" Tablet : $149.95
16GB Built-in Storage as well as a microSD slot for expand-ability.
Quad-Core 1.8Ghz CPU.
2GB DDR3 RAM.
Beautiful and Bright IPS 2048 x 1536 Resolution screen.
2.0 & 5.0 MP cameras (they suck though).

I used it at home for a few days, and must say, at 1/2 the cost of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2, it is
just as small and VERY thin, fast, great sound and works very well with my Phantom 3's.

In the beginning the standby Battery life was horrible. Draining almost 50% overnight, but a few days ago a new software update fixed it as it now drains almost zero % overnight.

The screen is bright as heck and very detailed/sharp.

I usually don't do these reviews, but for a measly $150USD, this is a steal..

No lag and smooth frame rate even at full HD videos or while flying the Phantom 3's.

5704046_sa.jpg
Ha, wish you the best of luck on your "cheep" tablet. To me my viewing instrument (tablet) is critical to my flying experience and inexpensive tablets usually don't give the best video. Can you get back to us with an update on your experiences with the Insignia after some usage. My tablet of choice is the Apple ipad mini 4 which for me is flawless. If your looking at a android tablet then the Nvidia Shield tablet fits the bill, i've got both. For me I've got to much invested in the air untethered.

I would like a device with an e-Ink screen, always perfect in sunlight :) Perhaps something akin to the Iota Phone, but bigger...

No luck here, wont install the GO app, says its not compatible. Attempting tablet firmware update now.

Did you ever get this resolved Shawn? My Insignia tablet striver tonight and I got the same message when I tried to install the GO app.

Did you ever get this resolved Shawn? My Insignia tablet striver tonight and I got the same message when I tried to install the GO app.
Sorry to hear about your tablet not meeting the GO app. requirements. Man if cost isn't the issue take a look at the Nvidia Shield tablet. It's a gamers tablet which means it has the speed and it also has a HDMI in-port. It has 32GB of internal storage and a USB memory slot. For a little bit more money monthly it connects to the internet. I've got both the Phantom 3 pro. and the Inspire 1 and use mine on both. Look it up on the internet it's an android and I think you'll like it.

Im just speaking from experience........ I gave in a bought an Air 2. You get what you pay for.
I am NOT an Apple Fanboy. In fact I swore I'd never own anything Apple - would never drink the Apple Koolaid hype...BUT... after trying soo many Android tablets from el-cheapo to the latest Galaxy Tab, I happen to borrow/try an Apple iPad Air 2 on my P3P...Wow... bottom line - it just works great, zero issues, very thin, great battery life, smooth stunning video, large special anti-glare coating screen that works amazingly well in bright sunlight, and most important - zero issues with the DJI software. I am extremely pleased with the iPad Air 2, and God I hate to say it, it was worth every penny. (sigh) Now, you don't have to be completely ripped off with Apple's retail pricing as I bought mine refurbished from Wal-mart, $330, looks and performs as new.
And now I really love flying my P3P.......but I still hate Apple..... **** it....
:D

Reactions: m0j0
TeeJayN- did you buy the WIFI only version or + Cellular? I spoke with a seasoned pilot and he told me with cellular the GPS will try to lock on available towers even without a data plan. I don't really know if that means a lot with all of the functionality of the P3. Any input you or anyone else can give me is very much appreciated. I will be taking a new p3p out this weekend for the first time and using an iPhone 5s. I know it's going to be a tiny screen but it's all I have until I can make a decision on a new/refurb pad. I was looking at the mini 2 because the prices are pretty reasonable for refurbs but also seeing a lot of good reviews on the iPad Air. Whatever I get, it will only be used for the p3.
Thanks again-

I am NOT an Apple Fanboy. In fact I swore I'd never own anything Apple - would never drink the Apple Koolaid hype...BUT... after trying soo many Android tablets from el-cheapo to the latest Galaxy Tab, I happen to borrow/try an Apple iPad Air 2 on my P3P...Wow... bottom line - it just works great, zero issues, very thin, great battery life, smooth stunning video, large special anti-glare coating screen that works amazingly well in bright sunlight, and most important - zero issues with the DJI software. I am extremely pleased with the iPad Air 2, and God I hate to say it, it was worth every penny. (sigh) Now, you don't have to be completely ripped off with Apple's retail pricing as I bought mine refurbished from Wal-mart, $330, looks and performs as new.
And now I really love flying my P3P.......but I still hate Apple..... **** it....
:D
In my opinion don't settle for Apple if your not an apple person, yes the ipad is good. Take a look at the Nvidia Shield tablet then make a decision you might be pleasantly surprised. I've tried all the rest (Galaxy Tab S, Nexus 7 and several others). I do use the Ipad Mini but the Nvidia Shield is the best for me.

In my opinion don't settle for Apple if your not an apple person, yes the ipad is good. Take a look at the Nvidia Shield tablet then make a decision you might be pleasantly surprised. I've tried all the rest (Galaxy Tab S, Nexus 7 and several others). I do use the Ipad Mini but the Nvidia Shield is the best for me.

Well, I'll certainly keep the Nvidia Shield in mind for future possibilities. I _wanted_ to use an Android tablet, and certainly didn't test them all, but everyone of the several I tried had some combination of exaggerated lag, jerky screen, freezing screen, poor brightness, useless in sunlight, and reboots. To my surprise, the iPad Air 2 simply works smoothly without issue. And what a joy that makes when flying the P3!
Yes, the iPad Mini is "good" but there is a big difference between the iPad Mini and the iPad Air 2. I preferred the Air 2's larger screen, faster A8 processor, and the anti-glare screen which makes a big difference in sunlight. Yes, the Air 2 costs more, but for P3 use, IMHO, well worth it.
As such, I don't feel I "settled" for Apple, but instead found (grudgingly) the best product for the job.
Regardless, I still hope and plan to never buy another Apple product!
One success does not a Fan Boy make! :)
YMMV

Update: My insignia just needed a firmware upgrade and now it works like a charm., This is my first android device ever. I've got an iPad gen 4 and my wife has a gen3. They're too big for the controller and are wifi only and not compatible with GO. I've always used my iPhone 6 but wanted a larger fpv screen. For $125 the insignia is well worth it. It may not do well at other tasks when compared to more expensive tablets but it's perfect as a fpv device.

Yes, the iPad Mini is "good" but there is a big difference between the iPad Mini and the iPad Air 2. I preferred the Air 2's larger screen, faster A8 processor, and the anti-glare screen which makes a big difference in sunlight. Yes, the Air 2 costs more, but for P3 use, IMHO, well worth it.
Are you comparing iPad Air 2 with the original iPad Mini, or with the latest iPad Mini 4? You shouldn't use the original iPad Mini to compare because it is so old now. I think Mini 4 also has A8 CPU and anti-glare screen, and some people prefer Mini over Air because it is lighter and not as top heavy when attached to the remote control.

I tried the Mini2 and Mini3. I don't believe the Mini4 was available when I compared iPads. You are correct, the Mini 4 has an anti-glare screen and the faster A8 processor.

TeeJayN- did you buy the WIFI only version or + Cellular? I spoke with a seasoned pilot and he told me with cellular the GPS will try to lock on available towers even without a data plan. I don't really know if that means a lot with all of the functionality of the P3. Any input you or anyone else can give me is very much appreciated. I will be taking a new p3p out this weekend for the first time and using an iPhone 5s. I know it's going to be a tiny screen but it's all I have until I can make a decision on a new/refurb pad. I was looking at the mini 2 because the prices are pretty reasonable for refurbs but also seeing a lot of good reviews on the iPad Air. Whatever I get, it will only be used for the p3.
Thanks again-
I use the WiFi only version. Can't tell you which way to go. I don't need the features that using a GPS tablet provides and I cache my map ahead of time so the WiFi only works for me. My tired eyes needed a larger screen and the 9.7" Air 2 does the job beautifully. If you don't need/want a larger screen, take a look at the mini 4. Google is your friend. It has the faster A8 processor and an anti-glare screen. Haven't tried/seen one myself but it looks promising.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair