Formatting micro SD card

Reaction score
What is the best way to format the micro SD card?
When I delete files from it the info on the card shows the file gone but the space not released. My 8 GB card shows only 1.78 GB available. There are other files on it which I believe were on it when I got the drone. I presume that they need to be there or they would not have been put there in the first place. Will they be recreated the first time I use the card after formatting in on my iMac or a Windows computer?

There are three ways to format your card (please enusre you use FAT32 or EXFAT) :

1. In the camera (Std) or Gimbal (all others) via the GO app ...
or
2. In your MAC making sure FAT32 or EXFAT used.
or
3. In your PC making sure FAT32 or EXFAT used.

You can safely format and lose the files ... they are basically archive files it puts on ...

Contrary to some here : I like to keep the .bin file in the root, this is the FW file and updates any new battery you may acquire etc. Its a small file and doesn't hurt saving dowload again later if needed.

OK .... why does card only show 1.78Gb after deleting files ? Because on a Windows PC - it keeps the deleted files in Recycle Folder ... ready to be restored if you made error. The files are linked via FAT to the card / original location. If you empty the Recycle Folder - then the card / location will then show the empty space you now have. Of course formatting does not use Recycle Folder and therefore card shows correct empty space.

Note that you never will have all 8Gb ... a small part will be allocated to system FAT and organisation of the card.

Thanks, solentlife, formatting in the camera worked great. I didn't have to find how to use FAT32 or EXFAT. I now have 7.9 GB available.
There were one folder and three files (non video) on the card and now only the folder DCIM is there. I presume the other three files will be recreated when I use it again. I remember that they had dates that matched the first time I used this drone.

The card will add files as you use .. I just cut and paste the video files to PC after a flight ... that way Recycle Folder does not get used or keep card space allocated. The files that get added are small and takes a lot to make real difference to use.

If I format the card ... very rare ... I have the FW BIN file saved and put back to card once formatted. Personally I do all my formatting / copying via card reader in PC's USB slot. Its faster, doesn't need Phantom powered up etc.

On the newly formatted card I just made a very short video and put the card in my iMac. The 100MEDIA folder was added back to the DCIM folder and the video was in the 100MEDIA folder. The three files that were in the root directory were not replaced. I don't know if I need them or not (the video played fine). I did not write down the names of the files but one or two were .bin files.

I do not see a cut option on my iMac. I can copy and paste but the original is still on the card unless I send to trash. Nor do I see a way to empty the Recycle folder.

On a Windows 10 I did find the cut option but it did not work for some reason.

I always have took the DCIM folder to my desk top then reformat the card in the go app.
On my iMac when I read the card I just rename it then pull
it on to my screen ,let it transfer then eject it.
before I fly again I always just reformat the card then.

On the newly formatted card I just made a very short video and put the card in my iMac. The 100MEDIA folder was added back to the DCIM folder and the video was in the 100MEDIA folder. The three files that were in the root directory were not replaced. I don't know if I need them or not (the video played fine). I did not write down the names of the files but one or two were .bin files.

I do not see a cut option on my iMac. I can copy and paste but the original is still on the card unless I send to trash. Nor do I see a way to empty the Recycle folder.

That means that your card reader / USB slot is read only ...... I have this problem on one of my PC"s where despite setting the Unlock tab and properties - the card cannot have files written to it or erased

dirkclod, Pardon me let’s see if I am following you.

You rename the card? or the DCIM file? or the video files?

Then you drag it to your desktop (screen) and after it transfers to the screen you eject the card and reformat the card in the go app.

Is this correct?.

solentlife, I don’t think that is correct because I have both erased files directly from the card and copied files onto the card using the SD slot on both the Windows 10 and the iMac. The files were readable/playable.

dirkclod, Pardon me let’s see if I am following you.

You rename the card? or the DCIM file? or the video files?

Then you drag it to your desktop (screen) and after it transfers to the screen you eject the card and reformat the card in the go app.

Is this correct?.
I just rename or date the DCIM file.
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 8.46.18 PM.png
Thats just the way I keep my stuff organized
And yes I reformat the card every time I start to go out again and power up.

Your organization system differs from mine. I appreciate the info both you and solentlife provided.

Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
solentlife, I don’t think that is correct because I have both erased files directly from the card and copied files onto the card using the SD slot on both the Windows 10 and the iMac. The files were readable/playable.

Possible - I don't use a Mac ... but generally on a PC - if you cannot delete or write to a card that is unlocked - it means the PC or card reader is read only. Like I say - I have a PC that is a pain in the **** for this and I've done all I can to try and change it. I can copy and paste from the card ... but not delete ...
Checking with my IT guy - he says its common problem with SC Card slots in Notebook PC's ... which is my problem. I get round it by using a USB reader.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
The Windows computer I used was not a notebook. That might be the difference. I don't understand why any USB port would not be both read and write. I suppose someone had a reason.:confused:

The Windows computer I used was not a notebook. That might be the difference. I don't understand why any USB port would not be both read and write. I suppose someone had a reason.:confused:

Correction ... I didn't say the USB port would not read or write - unless set its properties such.

What was said - is that I have and its not uncommon for an SD card slot in a Notebook (commonly mis-named Laptop .... yes I come from early days of PC's when Laptops were one and Notebooks another) ... to only read. You can have this also with an older card reader ... but that is rare.

On the Mac OS or iOS, if you wish the files to be completely "Deleted," first "Trash" them, then under the Finder drop down menu, choose "Empty Trash" this will now remove them completely, freeing up their space on the card.

If you previously had 3 drone files on your card, called
"my_file001.mov
"my_file001.mov"
and "my_file003.mov"
and then you Trashed the "my_file001.mov" file.

Now 2 days later, your drone saves another file to your card, without the opportunity for you to choose the name yourself, the file saving convention would name this new file,
"my_file001.mov"
Your only option at this point would be to determine what files they are, would be to look for the "Creation Date" of the files. HTHs, Bill

Ooops! I meant to say card slot where I said USB port. The cards I mentioned being able to both read and write were used in slots -- not USB port.

BillCaf I had looked in the trash (which I don't often empty*) and failed to find a file I had just trashed from a SD card on a couple of occasions, so I thought files from the cards did not go there. However, I just tried it and, although I did not find the file, emptying the trash did restore my capacity on the card. Thanks.

* My wife says I don't empty the traash nearly often enough. She might not be talking about the same thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31