Forced to Take DJI Exam?!?

This type of test seems likely to become mandatory in Australia (based on a recent CASA survey).

I think that DJI are just getting ahead of the pack.

To fly for work I was required to spend several days (and several thousand dollars) in a classroom followed by a half day skills test. During the classroom phase I learned that I had been ignorantly in breach of Australia Air Safety Regulations during recreational flights.

If it's a simple test that is designed to be informative, then I support it.

This type of test seems likely to become mandatory in Australia (based on a recent CASA survey).

I think that DJI are just getting ahead of the pack.

To fly for work I was required to spend several days (and several thousand dollars) in a classroom followed by a half day skills test. During the classroom phase I learned that I had been ignorantly in breach of Australia Air Safety Regulations during recreational flights.

If it's a simple test that is designed to be informative, then I support it.
Wow, from over here, it seems a little overwhelming to have to pay that much.

My main complaint is our government should do the testing not China. We buy a product and much later they can stop us from using it? Also not while we are trying to fly. Bad timing.

My main complaint is our government should do the testing not China. We buy a product and much later they can stop us from using it? Also not while we are trying to fly.
People keep saying that DJI is goingf to stop you from flying.
This just is not true. Much of the criticism in this thread is invalid.
Read this: DJI pilots will be presented with a list of nine questions, and must correctly answer all of them in order to be able to fly.
Pilots can continue answering new questions until they successfully pass the Knowledge Quiz.
It only takes a minute or two, the questions are easy and multiple choice.
If you don't get them all right, just do another test.- That's it.
They give you 4 chances to skip the test so you can do it when you are ready for it too..

The exam was so easy!! Even though I think some of the rules suck I still aced it first attempt and it took less then 5 min
It was the easiest test I have EVER taken. Did it because I was more curious than anything else. Wonder what happens to those that refuse to take the test...will their drones be disabled or will they just have to put up with the nagware.

The same people that scream freedom are the ones who think a private company shouldn’t be able to do whatever they want with their product. Ugh...

I miss the good old days where the general public was out of the hobby. The amount of conspiracy theorist and pilots who can’t pass a 2 minute test is too **** high.

Reactions: Meta4
When I last installed the DJI go app it gave the same test.

I passed easy but I don't agree with it on all levels but do agree with some aspects, but it would be interesting to know if you have to have 100 % right or not fly at all?

If it’s as easy as it sounds (haven’t seen it) but you don’t pass with 100%, makes me believe that you shouldn’t be flying after all.

WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?

Lol! Sheep. How many have taken exams from Toyota, Ford, Chevy, the last time they bought a car? Took an exam for Black and Decker when they bought a drill? Taken a manufacturer’s exam for anything they’ve purchased, EVER? Do you think there’s a reason the US Government banned any government use of DJI products? LOL!
Great come back. In the US, there were 37,461 deaths by auto in 2016. Last I heard there have been no deaths by drone (non-military).

Black and Decker as well as the auto makers do include a few pages in the manual on safety, safe operation, and a couple of "Do Nots" don't they. How is a quick test of competency a bad thing ?

Spyware in the AC software ? What a laugh. Just open the file up in an editor of your choice and read it.

I may make enemies on this forum with my position, but I'm OK with that. Having to pass an exam to be able to use a product a person legitimately purchased in a retail store is never OK. It has never been acceptable practice by any company in the free market. Those who feel that it is OK are either mouthpieces for the company, or so passively sheep that they buy into whatever DJI dictates. This is not a slam on DJI technology, for I deeply respect the advances they've made with drones. But from a business perspective, this is totally contrary to a free market society. And from a legal perspective, I would conclude this is not in compliance with full disclosure to the consumer market.
You do have to pass an exam to buy alcohol, think ID.

WTF?!? I just picked up a Spark when they dropped the price to $399 almost everywhere. Charged it up, updated firmware as expected. Opened up the GO4 app and was faced with a panel that told me I had to take a DJI exam on safe flight. It said I could skip the exam four times, which I did, but on the fifth time it FORCED me to take a DJI exam on safe flight. No options; take the exam or don't fly!!! As if spyware and micromanagement of flying wasn't enough. Just goes to show, when you have a monopoly on the market you can do as you please. I passed without problem, but DJI really has gone over the top. And what if I failed the exam? My Spark would be neutered??? I'm certified part 107, but I still have to pass DJI's exam to fly?

The test is quite easy. Passed it the first time.

I have to believe that the vast majority of those of us who follow the DJI forums know what they are allowed to do and not to do. Is there a DJI product that doesn't fly above 400'? or fly beyond LOS?, or can fly after dark?. All you need to do I look at You Tube to see all the videos of those of us who knowingly violate those laws. How many of us can HONESTLY answer that we NEVER fly beyond LOS? I cant. DJI might not have to quiz us on what we know if ALL of us ALWAYS abide by laws that regulate us.

I don’t believe they have the authority and they overstepped their boundaries. We have our people who make the rules and license us.

You may have your ‘people’ in the U.S., however last I looked DJI was selling to quite a few countries where there is little or no control at all with regards to safety. This doesn’t sound like a particularly difficult test, little more than saying that you understand the risks, and know the mitigations and that anything you do is your fault, not DJI’s. I think this can only be a good thing to stop other countries introducing more draconian measures.

And as for DJI Spyware. Isn’t the drone the total embodiment of ‘spyware’?

I’ve had DJI products for over 2 years and they must be able to see my flight record with hundreds of flights but they don’t know if I know if I know the rules, so At least with this exam they know at least I have the knowledge to be flying safe. I sell these things and I see many parents buying these as toys for their kids, I inform them of the FAA site so they can learn about the rules.

If they don't disclose this requirement to the buyer in advance f money changing hands, with a sign-off that they agree, they have crossed a line, even if with good intent. If DJI is truly out for the pilot's good, and not just covering their own butts, why not do it with integrity??

You have to take a test from the manufacturer to ride/buy a 4 wheeler. Truthfully with all the stories of first-time pilots here crashing into trees, and buildings... the test should be harder. I actually think you should have to past a test before you purchase a drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl