Following the rules

New here and my first post..... We received our P4P a couple of weeks ago. I plan to get the Part 107 as we will be using the P4P to produce short marketing videos for the boats we sell.

In the meantime, I am practicing flying in an open field near our office, which is within 5 miles of an unconrtrolled airport, a seaplane base, a hospital landing pad, and a privately owned grass strip.

Before my first flight, I called each of the facilities and the owner of the private strip. The private strip owner said I did not need to call him each time I flew as he is getting old and rarely flys (the strip is right at the edge of the 5 mile circle). The other 3 facilites suggested I send them an email prior to each time I would be flying, stating the time of the flight, the area where I will be flying, and the maximum anticipated altitude. I have the 3 emails set up as a group in gmail so it is very simple to send 1 email that goes to all 3 facilities.

New here and my first post..... We received our P4P a couple of weeks ago. I plan to get the Part 107 as we will be using the P4P to produce short marketing videos for the boats we sell.

In the meantime, I am practicing flying in an open field near our office, which is within 5 miles of an unconrtrolled airport, a seaplane base, a hospital landing pad, and a privately owned grass strip.

Before my first flight, I called each of the facilities and the owner of the private strip. The private strip owner said I did not need to call him each time I flew as he is getting old and rarely flys (the strip is right at the edge of the 5 mile circle). The other 3 facilites suggested I send them an email prior to each time I would be flying, stating the time of the flight, the area where I will be flying, and the maximum anticipated altitude. I have the 3 emails set up as a group in gmail so it is very simple to send 1 email that goes to all 3 facilities.
Good for you for making the effort. Why don't you give me the location, so we can make sure that you have not missed something in the airspace regulations, for the area you wish to fly in. Airspace can be far more complicated then you may think, and notifying Flight Ops with-in (5) miles of you, may be only a small part of the legal complexity's of your area. I just don't want to see you get in trouble for something that you didn't even know you where doing wrong. Anacortes area airspace, (if that's where you intend to fly), is a bit involved. Here is a link to VFRMAP. Open it and scroll to your intended flight location and when you get it centered up, copy & paste the address bar and link it back to us. It should open on your intended location.
In the upper left corner, you can toggle between "flight maps" and "Google Earth" type road maps, to really pinpoint yourself.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, mine are quite dusty but I have never lost my interest in aviation even though I have not flown in 20 years. Do you have any recommendations regarding the approach to prepping for the exam? I've seen some example questions and they were not trivial or simple in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for the interest in my post.

I probably would have said I am a drone enthusiast and would love to fly there. Then, I'd ask them how they went about getting permission to fly in that area as you thought it might be a restricted air space. They might have a legitimate reason such as a personal agreement with local authorities.

If their answer makes it apparent that they don't know what the restrictions are, I would review the safety issue and why, we, as drone enthusiasts, want to assure our priviledges last by not enabling a major catastrophe.

If they respond in a positive way, I'd share with them where they can get more information on FAA safety rules. If they negative, you have done what you can and it's time to walk away.

Do you guys want to fly or study rules? Most countries I've flown in tell you to use common sense. Those countries would be Iceland, New Zealand and the Azores. It's only here that you have 1000's of rules and never really know if you're legal or not. And some of you sound like you can't wait for a real accident so you can say see, we did need the rules. What you don't get is, the rules don't mean **** without common sense.

The rules are simple and basic. Common sense is to read, understand, and follow the rules so that we can all proceed for many years to enjoy our hobby or business without having the government clamp down on us. More importantly, the biggest risk is public perception. If an acident results from being unconsciously unaware of safe practices, we won't even need to worry about rules as drone operation will essentially be banned. Let's use common sense and know and follow the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: NHABD
AOPA just started a sUAS division. And AirMap is supposed to have all the phone number listed to assist you in contacting Towers/Airport Operators. I believe the FAA frowns upon radio contact originating from an sUAS pilot. OK to monitor, but they don't want to hear you on the airwaves. Phone contact, prior to the flight is what they are looking for.
Drones - AOPA
Drone notification made easy - AOPA
I monitor aircraft freqs and local EMD dispatch because I mostly fly in an area served by a trauma LifeFlight helo and a local grass strip airport. I use pocket scanner.

B4UFly is a joke. See attached link. They are flying in Key West Navel Air Station Class D and/or Key West International Class D, except when the towers are closed. Then it would be Class E, with bottom @ 700 AGL.
As far as attempting to educate, I would leave it alone. Too many variables. If they are Part 107 they may have Authorization/Waiver, ( I doubt it). If they are Recreational and contacted the Controlling Agencies and have not been denied, then they are legal, (I doubt it). And, just from reading on here, there are people out there flying drones that claim they will punch or even shoot you, for interfering in what they perceive as their God given right to fly, legal or not.
All good points you bring up. I am registered and use B4UFly app only to see where the surrounding ports are located. Otherwise the app is a joke. Example if you fly either below the tree line or just above what rules or regulations would be illegal? Flying responsible is key. Otherwise educating others may develop conflict and trouble. Every manual has written what the users responsibilities are. If they ignore it they have to deal with what's coming to them. Unless someone is seeking information I would offer. But approaching fliers in today's world I would not recommend.
Rules were unfortunately put in place because of the idiots that don't know any better and ruin a good thing for us hobbyist. Sadly we have to be aware of each location and fly with caution and use good judgment.

Good for you for making the effort. Why don't you give me the location, so we can make sure that you have not missed something in the airspace regulations, for the area you wish to fly in. Airspace can be far more complicated then you may think, and notifying Flight Ops with-in (5) miles of you, may be only a small part of the legal complexity's of your area. I just don't want to see you get in trouble for something that you didn't even know you where doing wrong. Anacortes area airspace, (if that's where you intend to fly), is a bit involved. Here is a link to VFRMAP. Open it and scroll to your intended flight location and when you get it centered up, copy & paste the address bar and link it back to us. It should open on your intended location.
In the upper left corner, you can toggle between "flight maps" and "Google Earth" type road maps, to really pinpoint yourself.

`
Thank you, but trying to send you the link from the iPad doesn't seem to work. Yesterday, I flew from a field that is at the east end of Sundown Court in Anacortes. It is below the Whidbey Class C floor, but within 5 miles of 74S, 21H, and the Island Hospital helipad. The 3 facilities were notified by email. I actually got a "thank you" response from the acting administrator at 74S.
I am an instrument rated private pilot with over 2000 hours but sold our Cirrus SR22 two years ago and don't fly "bigger birds" too often any more. I "think" I notified all the appropriate people but perhaps you could give me another perspective.

`
Thank you, but trying to send you the link from the iPad doesn't seem to work. Yesterday, I flew from a field that is at the east end of Sundown Court in Anacortes. It is below the Whidbey Class C floor, but within 5 miles of 74S, 21H, and the Island Hospital helipad. The 3 facilities were notified by email. I actually got a "thank you" response from the acting administrator at 74S.
I am an instrument rated private pilot with over 2000 hours but sold our Cirrus SR22 two years ago and don't fly "bigger birds" too often any more. I "think" I notified all the appropriate people but perhaps you could give me another perspective.
Sounds like you did it all correctly to me. With your Private/Instrument rating, you've got a handle on this. I love the fact they they actually thanked you for the notification. The only possible thing that I could add, just for fun, would be a heads up in case you have forgotten, the fact that Padilla Bay just east of Anacortes is under Fish & Wildlife control. As such, "Pilots are requested to avoid flight below 2000' AGL". That's the dark blue line with the dark blue dots, encircling the area from Bay View all the way to Eliza Island on the Sectional. You live in a beautiful area; have fun.

Do you guys want to fly or study rules? Most countries I've flown in tell you to use common sense. Those countries would be Iceland, New Zealand and the Azores. It's only here that you have 1000's of rules and never really know if you're legal or not. And some of you sound like you can't wait for a real accident so you can say see, we did need the rules. What you don't get is, the rules don't mean **** without common sense.
I can't speak to other countries rules on this, but a perusal of YouTube videos will show many examples in which "common sense" is an oxymoron...

Back to the original topic, SkyVector seems to show that all UAS activity is restricted on most of Key West. This is probably from the latest batch of restrictions the FAA recently released.

Attachments

• SkyVector__Flight_Planning___Aeronautical_Charts.png
    SkyVector__Flight_Planning___Aeronautical_Charts.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 318
Back to the original topic, SkyVector seems to show that all UAS activity is restricted on most of Key West. This is probably from the latest batch of restrictions the FAA recently released.
Thank you for that. How did you toggle on the lavender boxing and the sUAS warning box that you are showing? I cannot seem to locate those features when I go directly to SkyVector.

Thank you for that. How did you toggle on the lavender boxing and the sUAS warning box that you are showing? I cannot seem to locate those features when I go directly to SkyVector.
It's under the "DROTAMS" tab on the top menu. I just have "Show all DROTAMS" selected by default.

I probably would have said I am a drone enthusiast and would love to fly there. Then, I'd ask them how they went about getting permission to fly in that area as you thought it might be a restricted air space. They might have a legitimate reason such as a personal agreement with local authorities.

If their answer makes it apparent that they don't know what the restrictions are, I would review the safety issue and why, we, as drone enthusiasts, want to assure our priviledges last by not enabling a major catastrophe.

If they respond in a positive way, I'd share with them where they can get more information on FAA safety rules. If they negative, you have done what you can and it's time to walk away.

I would not ask how to get permission but I would state wish to fly there and that you are notifying them of that fact. Ask them is there any reason that this area would be a problem.

You do not ask permission in 101 but only notify. If they advise not to they should give a good reason, it is only advice but I would not want to be in anyone's shoes if something happened.

`

Off-topic, but I'm glad to hear that the 74S admin doesn't mind flights if they're notified; I've been wanting to take a quick flight from Cap Sante Park once it finally stops [expletive] raining for the spring/summer.

I live a few miles south of Paine Field, and I've flown multiple times out at the Mukilteo ferry terminal area, which is basically three miles north of 16R/34L, so I've called them several times to report. Usually end up having to leave a message though.

Actually, the Anacortes airport administrator retired recently and they have an assistant who I send an email to. They are very accommodating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic