Following on from flying a Phantom / Mavic etc. ?

Reaction score
I'm interested to see how many people have started RC flying with a DJI or whatever 'drone' and then moved on to fly regular RC as well ? Its a fascinating world out there with 3D, aerobatics, scale, with fixed wing, helicopters, autogyros etc.

How many have taken the step ? and what did you progress to ?

Me ? I've been a model flyer for many years before 'drones' ... in fact not so long ago - I was a tester / reviewer for a well known multi-rotor brand ... Today I still fly general RC actually far more than my P3P and other multi's.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Well after teasing myself for while on small toy drones and helis I got a Detect x380,slept with it,lol,that was me ,hooked,still have t.rex 450s but they in storage cause love drones ,,2nd drone p3s,3rd drone,p34k and then the p4,did have 4 channel cesna but that got stood on somehow,,then I got given a nitro Robbie Mosquito (dangerous bloody thing)44 inch teak blades,7 channel Robbie JR remote,flew it few times till I start it one day and throttle servo was reversed, stated up full noise and I had to lie under rotors and hold fuel line to kill motor,,that was it,nearly cut me head off,,its a ornament now and have stuck to the safety of drones,I get a mavic one day when price comes down.....ps....I treyed to join aero club but they not like drone pilots so got turned away,very sad place called Kapity model club

I flew a friend's plastic drone and was fascinated, so I bought a cheap one. Once I learned to fly that one I got a Phantom 4 Pro + and really got hooked. I now have the Phantom, a Mavic 2 zoom and a Mavic 2 Pro. I use all three for photography, but the Phantom is still my favorite. Sometimes I still fly the cheap plastic one in the back yard to try to hone my skills as it's more difficult to fly than the DJI drones.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Being over 70 and a kid at heart, I really enjoy flying DJI's. I started flying back in the 60's, flew U Control planes with some larger gas engines. Progressed to RC planes in the 70's and 80's. Currently fly a P3P and a P4P, started with a P2 vision which I sold. Doing photo and video work keeps me out of trouble!

I think the same situation experienced most of us.
The small plastic one is very good for training the Phantom in ATTI but far more tricky as it can not maintain even the altitude so you must balancing it in all 3 axes.

In fact :Its exactly like trying to use a remote control to balance a Soft ball on another soft ball by way of a RC unit... 4 years ago i bought a $ 54.00 drone and i had 9 batterys....it was a lots n lots of fun and i got really good at taking the toy drone out on the porch for some flights from my deck to across the street and flying it around the field and then bringing it back thru the trees and back to the deck to land OK now my hobby flying history :..i started off in the late 50s flying "Ukies" to include a few combat wings ( i loved to fly combat with a few guys that i knew and i also had several old "Ringmasters" and a full acrobatic "Chipmunk" U control plane that had a wing span of 56 inches and with stunt flaps and powered with Fox 35 my very favorite model engine....then to RC planes to include a neat Cox 049 powered glider 2 channel and a Falcon 56 by SIG four channel....then 3 years ago after having so much fun with the toy drone it was time to buy a DJI Phantom....I now to date have near 400,000 feet of travel on it and thats close to 72 miles of travel.....and each flight is just as exciting as my very very first one 3 years ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20