Follow me mode/ active track . Not really useful

Reaction score
hi

where you put you controller if you do "follow me" ? In every action sport there is not really a solution to put the controller. If i put it in the backpack the sticks get in touch with the backpack and the drone is flying by his own.
Is the only way to pack the controller in any box that nothing can touch the sticks?

Why is dji us not giving a small device which i can lock and put in my pocket.

In the mode "active track" i whish you could decide if you want to use the avoiding obstacles mode or not? In many situation it would be cooler if the copter would just track someone but you could change the position of the copter/view.

Also an small device which could be tracked by the copter/cam would be nice. And you still can fly the drone by the normal controller. The device just makes sure you focus all the time at this device.

in autopilot you need internet and i dont have everywhere good connection. Without internet the range is very small......

Last edited:
Litchi doesn't require internet. Magic Leash only requires that your cellphone has GPS, which of course if does.

Is there a way to communicate to the mobile device wirelessly on a P4? If so, theoretically you could place your controller on a tree stump or tripod or wherever pointing in the general direction of where the AC is flying and where it will be flying. Then all you need on your person is the mobile device. But you'd have to stay within a short range since the controller needs to get a signal from the mobile device.

Alternatively you could have a friend hold the controller and move with you out of camera view while you move around with just the mobile device.

in autopilot you need internet and i dont have everywhere good connection. Without internet the range is very small......
No... Autipilot will work in peer to peer over wifi (similar to magic leash) with the added functionality of Bluetooth and also being able to use mobile network.

I'm hoping autopilot will update the Apple Watch app now that it has GPS. That would be cool. You can get autopilot telemetry on the watch now so I'm guessing if it's possible they will do it.

Is there a way to communicate to the mobile device wirelessly on a P4? If so, theoretically you could place your controller on a tree stump or tripod or wherever pointing in the general direction of where the AC is flying and where it will be flying. Then all you need on your person is the mobile device. But you'd have to stay within a short range since the controller needs to get a signal from the mobile device.

Alternatively you could have a friend hold the controller and move with you out of camera view while you move around with just the mobile device.
I doubt it. The controller is designed to connect to your device by USB only.

But I do agree with the OP...it would be convenient to have, as an additional option, the ability to have a dedicated "follow me" device you could strap onto your arm as other Follow-me drones have done. I realize that the visual "auto tracking" is supposed to be a step above that, but from a practical standpoint, it isn't. It just loses contact too often. Too many pitfalls with visual auto tracking....lighting, colors, contrast, subject motion, etc.

Reactions: JWH
No... Autipilot will work in peer to peer over wifi (similar to magic leash) with the added functionality of Bluetooth and also being able to use mobile network.

I'm hoping autopilot will update the Apple Watch app now that it has GPS. That would be cool. You can get autopilot telemetry on the watch now so I'm guessing if it's possible they will do it.

you call the range of wifi/bluetooth good?

i tested now also litchi.

The tracking is even worse than by dji. Loosing a person fast.

The only way to get a good result is a second device imo.....

I've found tracking using Litchi to be better than DJI GO. Same dog, same field, same lighting conditions, not to mention more flexible control options like orbit and focus.

dont know, but it already has problem in slow action.

I need something for action sport. This really sucks

dont know, but it already has problem in slow action.

I need something for action sport. This really sucks
Be happy that technology is where its at with these drones. When I was a kid , my entertainment was shooting down playing card houses with rubber bands.

i tested now also litchi.

The tracking is even worse than by dji. Loosing a person fast.

The only way to get a good result is a second device imo.....
Unlike the P4 and Mavic that employ the SOC visual tracking technology from movidius) the litchi solution relies on the processing power of your tablet/phone. Higher specs mean a lot here.

was an iphone 6 i used......

The technology for a second device or at least a smaller one shouldn't be the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.