Folding props

For the DIY machine you built were there any special considerations for made for high altitude flying? Building one myself is still something I'm considering if I can find a suitable camera that I like.
I actually didn't build it. It was a loaner from a friend.

Yes, there are definetly special considerations. RC Groups or DIYdrones will give you better advice than me, but the basic guidelines would be first to go with a hex or octo frame. Probably a hex (less air displacement, but lighter weight). Light weight is important (duh). Second, pick the right props. The longest props possible that fit your frame. The prop pitch is important too for biting thin air. And then you'll need to match your motors to the props, and your esc's to the motors, etc. So essentially what I'm saying is you pick your frame, then props and let the rest be dictated by that.

As for cameras, a lot of guys that film extreme skiers are just going with a GoPro with a 3.97mm lens replacement. It's rectilinear (so no fisheye). I get mine directly fro PeauProductions. They will swap the lens for you, focus the camera, and remove GoPros stock color profile (which removes pink fringing from the corners). I definetly recommend the 3.97 lens because it's a rated up to 16megapixel (which is higher than GoPros spec) - so you get cleaner footage (some of the replacement lens are not as sharp as the stock lens). And the 3.97 lens fits standard GoPro ND filters which is key.

Yes, there are definetly special considerations. RC Groups or DIYdrones will give you better advice than me, but the basic guidelines would be first to go with a hex or octo frame. Probably a hex (less air displacement, but lighter weight). Light weight is important (duh). Second, pick the right props. The longest props possible that fit your frame. The prop pitch is important too for biting thin air. And then you'll need to match your motors to the props, and your esc's to the motors, etc. So essentially what I'm saying is you pick your frame, then props and let the rest be dictated by that.

As for cameras, a lot of guys that film extreme skiers are just going with a GoPro with a 3.97mm lens replacement. It's rectilinear (so no fisheye). I get mine directly fro PeauProductions. They will swap the lens for you, focus the camera, and remove GoPros stock color profile (which removes pink fringing from the corners). I definetly recommend the 3.97 lens because it's a rated up to 16megapixel (which is higher than GoPros spec) - so you get cleaner footage (some of the replacement lens are not as sharp as the stock lens). And the 3.97 lens fits standard GoPro ND filters which is key.

I should add, if I were starting from scratch I'd think a lot about aerodynamics. It can get scary windy up high. Every little bit of additional wind resistance will be key. Folks talk about "fly aways" but when flying around high altitude mountain ridge lines, you can get a "blow away" if your not careful flying up over a ridge line.

Thanks for the tips.

When I was initially considering building one I vaguely had a Y6 in mind as I heard they did well in strong wings and are often quite compact when folded.

Camera wise, part of the reason I was initially directed to the phantoms was the ability to control the camera in flight. Wish I could find something similar. Tbh I really wish DJI would enable the cameras designed for the Inspire to be used on any drone. I already have some M43 lenses that I'd love to use.

I guess I need to go back to a more general forum with more specific questions and see what they come back with.

Gentlemen;

Forgive me for resurrecting this almost year old thread. I found some great information on here that will help me with a project I will soon be undertaking and I'd like to share a few things with regards to folding props.

I own several drones - at one time I had 4 (3 P3 Standards and one P3P). I recently sold one of my standards and was planning on buying a Mavic until the "Phavic" mod caught my eye ( Experience with phavic? ). One of the standards I own was a slightly abused P3S that had cracked motor mounts. I repaired this bird and was planning to sell it until I came across the Phavic. I decided I was going to try this mod with the hopes that I could get a slightly larger Mavic equivalent at a fraction of the price.

Now before some of you start flaming me in comparing a P3S with a Mavic, its more about my needs than performance. Sure, I know a Mavic is a far superior machine when compared to the P3S. What I need is something that could be be easily carried in a backpack and set up very quickly. I'm currently doing a lot of city 107 work (part time, Dronebase and some other stuff) and don't feel like lugging around my P3P all the time. The Phavic seems to the perfect answer to some of the work I've been doing while saving me $1000+!

So in planning my mod I started looking at folding props, the pros and con and decided to see if they could work with my plans.

I purchased a set a STO Metal Foldable Propellers. I assembled them and put them on the P3S I am planning to do the Phavic mod on. Well I test flew them today and came up with the following results/ conclusions;

1. When assembling them, they can't be too loose or too tight. They should be stiff enough so some mild pressure needs to be applied for them to open them (obviously that's their purpose)

2. When I started up the drone, there was some wobble/ vibration until centrifugal force took over and the propellers behaved as they were designed to.

3. I felt no real adverse conditions during flight although I did not take the drone over 20 mph. I don't fly DJI drones like an F-16!!!

4. I ran the batteries down to 15% - that only gave me about 15 minutes of flight time. The "annunciator page" on DJI GO showed that I have about a minute of flight time left. NOTE: as I stated earlier, this drone was repaired and I know it has added weight (Aside from reinforcing the motor mount area with Plast Aid, I added the metal reinforcing plates.

Stress cracks under motor

5. The batteries got hot! After shut down I was looking at some of the flight info and I got a hot battery warning. the OAT was 85F at the time of flight.

CONCLUSIONS: I believe folding props do work but as the saying goes "you don't get something for nothing." There mayl be decreased performance and extra maintenance, mainly in the form of continual inspection. Despite this, I think I am going to try these props on my Phanvic mod as the work I will be eventually doing will only require short duration flights. I've attached a video to show how my P3P performed with the folding props. Sorry for the moving camera, it's hard to fly and use an I phone camera at the same time!

EDIT: Sorry folks, having issues uploading the video at this time!

Last edited:
Just a comment...
The Mavic was designed with the props it is supplied with. Same with the P3S. Using any other props will certainly have side-effects which may or may not explain some of your observations. Sometimes these S-Es are immediately apparent and other times they are cumulative.

Just a comment...
The Mavic was designed with the props it is supplied with. Same with the P3S. Using any other props will certainly have side-effects which may or may not explain some of your observations. Sometimes these S-Es are immediately apparent and other times they are cumulative.
That may be true BUT considering I'm doing a major mod on this drone (and accepting the risks) I'm trying to either validate or bust some of these fears but agree, 2 flights won't necessarily prove anything. As for today as stated, my P3S flew fine with the folding props, the flight time diminished and the battery got hot. The next time I use them it will be after the Phavic mod. I'll try to upload today's video tomorrow.

Last edited:
Go for it.
But be aware the propulsion systems are tuned.
This explains the negative effects you have experienced.
Heat equals stress and stress reduces MTBF.

Go for it.
But be aware the propulsion systems are tuned.
This explains the negative effects you have experienced.
Heat equals stress and stress reduces MTBF.
Yep! That's why I'll fly the Phavic like a grandma. During the first flight I am going to use stock props and then eventually migrate to the folding props. I did discover that the company that makes the Phavic mod will soon be selling foldable props for this ship. It will be interesting to see how they compare with the ones I used. Appreciate the input, I intend to document this project as it progresses

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31