Folding props

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a P3, either advanced or professional. Haven't quite decided yet but if you'd like to weigh in on that conundrum you're welcome. Looking at the price at SLR hut it seems silly to not go for the P, but if I were to get it from a local seller the larger price difference makes the decision a lot harder.

Anyway, on to the main question. I'd very much like to get folding props for whichever I buy. I want a drone to take hiking/mountaineering with me, and hence it needs to be kept safe inside my pack (i.e. Without props attached) but must be ready for flight as fast as possible whilst wearing gloves (and therefore not wanting to fiddle any more than necessary).

I know there are a fair number of threads around regarding folding props, and most seem to be full of comments stating "don't use them" without any actual discussion. So on the assumption that I have to use them, which would anyone recommend?

The Phantom propulsion system is tuned for optimum performance. These models use a braking feature which could actually result in partial folding in flight. Trying to use third-party props will lead to control and performance issues. Like you said the consensus is to avoid them.

But if you had to suggest one, are there none that work better than others? No methods such as tightening the screws further and manually positioning them which could help prevent folding in flight?

I would really like to use a drone for my work, but folding props are likely to be a necessity.

the only trouble I've had ever had with my Phantom (2) was when I tried aftermarket props. It flew straight into a tree uncontrollably, swapped to DJI props straight after & was perfect again. I learnt my lesson & only use genuine props from now on

These models use a braking feature which could actually result in partial folding in flight.

I keep reading that, yet have never seen any evidence that the phantom has motor braking. Everything Ive seen suggests this is just a misunderstanding of the 'active braking' setting (which has nothing to do with motor braking, but configures how aggressive position hold works) mixed with reading of such a feature that does indeed exist on certain 3D/acro quads (that can also invert prop direction for inverted flight).

AFAIK, the phantom doesnt have it, and I cant see why you'd even want it on a slow, rather sluggish photography platform like a phantom.

Assuming the above is correct, I see no fundamental reason to avoid folding props. They will be slightly less efficient, but thats a compromise that might be worth it for the OP.

I would really like to use a drone for my work, but folding props are likely to be a necessity.
Your assumption that folding props would be necessary is quite wrong.
It just takes a few seconds to flick on a prop and it's something you could easily do with gloves.
Go and have a look at a shop and ask to see how the props fit - it's much easier than you assume.
Plus you are almost certain to degrade your Phantom's performance by using folding 3-blade props that are unlikely to be balanced.

As for the choice between Pro and Advanced ... they are identical except for 4K video vs 2.7K video
If you don't know that you NEED 4K video, you don't need 4K video.

Reactions: maco21
+1, use the props dji made...i had folding props; long story short, the drone wobbled, back and forth and lost altitude and quick, smashed into the ground pretty hard. gimbal went flying a good 40 yards in a direction like it bounced on the ground... you do not need to impress anyone, the props add weight, and each moving part is a point of failure. theirs a reason hobby shops and dji do not have these.also, you lose efficiency and alot of battery life with 3 blades.

I have played with one in a shop and still don't think the standard props will be suitable for me. I'll be basically working out of my backpack, likely with no surface to place the phantom down. Attaching props whilst trying to hold up the drone sounds more fiddly and time consuming than I feel I'll have time for given the environment.

There seem to be some 2-blade folding props rather than the 3-blade being mentioned here as well.

As for the pro vs advanced, I know I don't NEED 4k atm due to the fact I will be cutting footage with my GoPro Silver and GH3. It might, however, be nice for stabilization in post. I've heard mumblings about the video stream being clearer with the Pro. Does this have any truth to it? At SLR Hut there is only a £50 difference in price.

I have played with one in a shop and still don't think the standard props will be suitable for me. I'll be basically working out of my backpack, likely with no surface to place the phantom down. Attaching props whilst trying to hold up the drone sounds more fiddly and time consuming than I feel I'll have time for given the environment.
You seem reluctant to take advice from people that use the Phantom and to believe you know better than the designers of the Phantom.
Good luck with your endeavour.

and if you want to keep props on, get a pelican hard case, they have pressure relief, can be dropped from a cargo plane and are usually weather sealed.the vent on them makes it so they dont implode during flights and what not. AND, it looks cool.

Oh did i mention you can store the props on in it?

You need to be aware that DJI have recently altered their warranty procedures, and only Phantoms bought from an authorised dealer will be covered. If SLR are not on their list, your warranty will be with the seller..not with DJI.

ok..if you want 3 or 2 blade props, their is a flight system dji offers that includes such props... got 4k?

There seem to be some 2-blade folding props rather than the 3-blade being mentioned here as well.

As for the pro vs advanced, I know I don't NEED 4k atm due to the fact I will be cutting footage with my GoPro Silver and GH3. It might, however, be nice for stabilization in post. I've heard mumblings about the video stream being clearer with the Pro. Does this have any truth to it? At SLR Hut there is only a £50 difference in price.
Then you need to found a way to have your props kept on the drone in your backpack in a safe way. That should be matter of some extra foam piece, in any case the drone will need a large volume and if you align the props parallel it should be possible.

Well there is at least one poster in this thread who based on his assumptions sees no problem. Maybe you can ask him which ones he has or uses?

You seem reluctant to take advice from people that use the Phantom and to believe you know better than the designers of the Phantom.
Good luck with your endeavour.

I'm not reluctant to take advice, I just know my situation. I stated at the start I have seen threads advising against it, but with that in mind are there any people would recommend over others. Largely what I've been greeted with is (sometimes mildly aggressive) repeats of what I've stated I've seen in other threads.

I know the phantom will in general work best with what it's supplied with, but the people who stuck those props in the case aren't there up the mountain with me to help me put the props on.

The advice on ways to keep the props on is appreciated but unfortunately I feel for me impractical. To exhaust the possibility beyond doubt, does anyone have an accurate measurement of the drone with props on, aligned with the body to make it as slim as possible, from tip to tip?

With the variety of ropes and tools I have to carry in addition to clothing, food etc, space really is at a premium.

You need to be aware that DJI have recently altered their warranty procedures, and only Phantoms bought from an authorised dealer will be covered. If SLR are not on their list, your warranty will be with the seller..not with DJI.
That only applies to North America - not Britain.
For customers in North America, please note: DJI products purchased after July 18th, 2016 are covered under warranty only if they are purchased from DJI authorized dealears.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj