Flytrex and the P3

Reaction score
I am a P2 user who makes great use of a Flytrex 3G. I just wondered, as the P3 is only available with the App (i.e. no 2.4Ghz, GoPro version), and that the App appears to be improved further over what it once was; what is the business model for Flytrex with regards to the Phantom Line? Is there any justification in having one with a P3, if all your data is getting logged on your device anyway ? Has anyone fitted one to a P3 and if so why?

I thinks it's quicker / more user friendly. But that's about it.

Unless your interested in the tracking feature to find it after a crash at distance.

Reactions: AmosMoses
I was a big fan of the Flytrex solely for the fact that if I did a long GS mission with the P2 where I would lose connection I could run the app on a different device to make sure the bird was where it was supposed to be. Also, as mentioned for the flight data but DJI has got that covered now.

So far I see no justification for the expense with the P3 or the inspire 1 since there are much cheaper alternatives for tracking a lost bird. Not to mention the terrible headaches of dealing with their wishy washy support. Yes, they would EVENTUALLY communicate and work with ya but it would take weeks to get anything sorted out.

Reactions: bbfpv
Their support is terrible. There is a radio interview somewhere on the net where their CEO believes that they are really good at communicating and that if you drop them a support query they will get back to you really quickly. He is either deluded, or just out of touch with how poorly this arm of his business operates.

Reactions: AmosMoses
I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll add one to my P3. When I added one to my 2nd V+ (after my first flew away), it was a whole new world of flying... no more fear about losing it. With the P3 I don't have the fear as much, mainly because I trust the bird far more than my V+. That's not to say I don't get a knot in my stomach whenever I lose signal a mile out, because I do. I just think that w/ the addition of GLONASS to the chip it is much more difficult to get swept away by a wind gust due to unexpected ATTI at a distance. I also strongly believe that's the reason why there have been no legitimately reported fly-aways with the P3. But in the end, it depends on whether I'll have $200 burning a hole in my pocket in a couple months when/if the thing makes it stateside (I'll never buy direct from flytrex again.... what a mess).

I thing you are right about perceived risk of flyaway being related to flytrex sales. I hope they have made some genuine improvements with the P3 which make flyaways a thing of the past.

Apart from the long Flytrex delay which goes with any query to their support or their sales, the one thing that bugged me when I bought a L3G a few months back was how they could not predict delivery times. At the time I placed the order I was told they ship every 48hrs and I could expect delivery in about a week, For each of the the next 6 or 7 weeks I chased them with an emails, and all I got was "jam tomorrow". "It will definitely be with you next week" type of promises. They had a lot to learn. I really hope it is better now than it was then. On the other hand, I have to say their product is the dog's bollocks and is very cheap to run too.

Apart from the long Flytrex delay which goes with any query to their support or their sales, the one thing that bugged me when I bought a L3G a few months back was how they could not predict delivery times. At the time I placed the order I was told they ship every 48hrs and I could expect delivery in about a week, For each of the the next 6 or 7 weeks I chased them with an emails, and all I got was "jam tomorrow". "It will definitely be with you next week" type of promises. They had a lot to learn. I really hope it is better now than it was then. On the other hand, I have to say their product is the dog's bollocks and is very cheap to run too.

I assume you have gotten yours to work with your P3. Did you have to do any work arounds or did it work like it was supposed to when you installed it?

Haven't been able to get mine past getting an led error code of red, (1 sec pause, then rapid) red red red red red led blinking. I am in hopes that someone has solved that problem. Flytrex seems to think they can solve it but I kinda burned that bridge by requesting a return for credit.

I sent flytrex 3 emails around 5 weeks ago all have gone unanswered. One was to let them know some of the logged data was not correct.

Amit, who runs the show and myself have had a number of unpleasant conversations. He has gone up and above in most cases to fix things. But the sad part is, those issues just restart once again which makes it really hard to do business with such an operation.

Overall the Flytrex Live has been a major pain in the ***. Most of us that has supported flytrex has had to spend a stupid amount of money just to one. They 1st made them as only having 2G ability. Well here in the US the phone companies were shutting down the 2G towers by the hour. The Flytrex Live was becoming not usable. So...we had to then wait while flytrex built a new device that was compatible with 3G, and we had to pay again for this new device plus whatever attached to it. And then the CanBus came along and there again was additional expense. And just about the time we finally get things where they needed to be....here comes the P3 with a new added wait time, nothing with the setup we were using would work with the P3 stuff so you guessed it, we had to make another complete product purchase. And I know several have spent up above $1000 just to be into the current Live 3G.

And since flytrex took on selling aircraft they have completely stopped putting any development in the Live 3G. It really could be so much more then where it currently is. It's a huge shame the Flight Log feature is now so far below what we are now accustom to.

Reactions: 2nd2non

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31