Flying P4P around a cell towers with lots of frequency interference?!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience flying P4P around a huge cell tower with dishes and antennas. There will be lots of frequency interference. Would it be safe to fly the drone close to a tower to take pictures or video? I need to do an inspection of the tower as part of my project and was wondering if I can do it with the drone.

The only problem I've had with Cell Towers was with my P3S. I had a location within about 100 yards of a busy cell tower, and I had a lot of difficulty getting it to connect to the RC. Once it connected, it was fine.
I still fly that area frequently with my P4P, but have not had any problems at all. But the closest I get to the actual tower is about 50 yards.
I'd be very careful, for sure. Happy flying!

Reactions: DroneGoddess
I've seen video seen video of Lightbridge (DJI) drones flying all around cell towers, as well as other microwave towers with no problems. Don't forget to have your RTH set to a higher elevation than the tower. If you do have an issue, it will either RTH or you can enable RTH if you lose video. Make sure you're controlling and launching at least 150' from the tower so RTH will work correctly. Within 65' it won't work normal, it lands where it's at instead of ascending to RTH. It's unlikely you'll have an issue. However with long haul high power lines (450-750 KV), the electromagnetic field can play havoc with your craft GPS receiver, and the craft can go into ATTI mode. So be aware of that and be ready to act fast, if you ever shoot near (closer than 100') HIGH POWER lines. This isn't the case with lower voltage distribution power lines (10KV) on smaller poles along the street, those you can fly around OK.

Last edited:
Seems like I can't turn in any direction and spit and not hit a cell tower around me. Have not had a issue that I can say was related to one of them.

On a side note. It would seem there has to be a way for them to double or triple up on one tower. Between cell towers, communication towers and wind mills there sure is a lot of "Sight Pollution" from all of them.

The only problem I've had with Cell Towers was with my P3S. I had a location within about 100 yards of a busy cell tower, and I had a lot of difficulty getting it to connect to the RC. Once it connected, it was fine.
I still fly that area frequently with my P4P, but have not had any problems at all. But the closest I get to the actual tower is about 50 yards.
I'd be very careful, for sure. Happy flying!

Thank you for the info...I will keep that in mind

I've seen video seen video of Lightbridge (DJI) drones flying all around cell towers, as well as other microwave towers with no problems. Don't forget to have your RTH set to a higher elevation than the tower. If you do have an issue, it will either RTH or you can enable RTH if you lose video. Make sure you're controlling and launching at least 150' from the tower so RTH will work correctly. Within 65' it won't work normal, it lands where it's at instead of ascending to RTH. It's unlikely you'll have an issue. However with long haul high power lines (450-750 KV), the electromagnetic field can play havoc with your craft GPS receiver, and the craft can go into ATTI mode. So be aware of that and be ready to act fast, if you ever shoot near (closer than 100') HIGH POWER lines. This isn't the case with lower voltage distribution power lines (10KV) on smaller poles along the street, those you can fly around OK.

Great info and thank you for the tip on setting the RTH away from the tower. Will keep that in mind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl