Flying P3 Pro without screen

Reaction score
Can you fly the Phantom 3 Pro without using any screen? And if so can you update the craft using a PC like the P1/P2. Or do you a need a smart phone/tablet?
I am going to get an ipad quite soon but wondered if I ordered a P3 Pro whether I could use it in the meantime.
Which is the best current Ipad at the moment for the P3?

cheers

bill

Can you fly the Phantom 3 Pro without using any screen?
You can after you activate the Phantom in DJI GO. I don't recommend you attempt this though. The DJI GO app provides value feedback as you fly.

can you update the craft using a PC like the P1/P2. Or do you a need a smart phone/tablet?
No. You need to use DJI GO to update the firmware. See the process in detail here.

Which is the best current Ipad at the moment for the P3?
Any of the iPad models on this list can be used.

Don't be in a rush to fly your drone without setting the parameters and updating it to the correct FW.

Once all set, yes you can fly without a monitor if you have great experience with the drone but it's not recommended as you get warnings and other alerts on the monitor only.

Best iPad would be to buy the latest but consider how much you want to pay for it. DJI site lists the compatible devices, pick the one that suits your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: grin factor
No reason to spend more just to work the dji go app for your phantom. It has wifi and android 4.1+ based.

The phone is also unlocked ready for any carrier if you decide to use a data plan, but all you need is wifi

When u r comfortable with the drone, definitely fly it without the screen and in atti mode sometimes - good excercise on how to fly in an emergency - video link gone, gps not stable... but that is an ADVANCED type of flying.. so be cautious... RTH on the radio will still work, provided you got GPS link.... so if u get to far, lose orientation.. just gain some altitude and hit that rth button... u can always cancel when it comes near and bring it in manually. Certainly a good skill to practice....

Just ordered the P3 Pro. Might go for the Ipad mini 2 wifi. I was intending to get an ipad regardless of the Phantom anyway at some point. Am I right in saying with wifi not cellular you can load all the maps you need before you head off to the flying area. And don't need internet/GPS access once there?
Is there a preferred firmware option for the P3 at the moment? With my P1 & P2 I tended to just leave the firmware to the version it was when it arrived. And have had no issues with those craft.

Am I right in saying with wifi not cellular you can load all the maps you need before you head off to the flying area.
Yes.

don't need internet/GPS access once there?
You will only need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your mobile device's current location after taking off.

Is there a preferred firmware option for the P3 at the moment?
The current firmware is stable.

Reactions: fly-catchers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31