Flying over water

Reaction score
New to the community and have not attempted a water flight yet. I have a few flights and videos under my belt with my P3 pro and would like to try a few flight over some of the river ways in my area. The questions I have are if you go to the "a" mode or switch off the sensors on the underside do you still get to see the altitude you're flying at?

You should disable VPS when flying over water. The altitude will be displayed in the DJI GO app, but keep in mind that it's just an estimated altitude. If you must fly close to the surface of the water, it would be best to make sure you can see your Phantom with your eyes. Otherwise, you might be closer to the surface than you think.

You should disable VPS when flying over water. The altitude will be displayed in the DJI GO app, but keep in mind that it's just an estimated altitude. If you must fly close to the surface of the water, it would be best to make sure you can see your Phantom with your eyes. Otherwise, you might be closer to the surface than you think.
Thanks, just haven't tried it yet and wanted to know what to expect. Being a newbie I always keep my bird in eyesight .

I thought about starting a thread like this yesterday but maybe I'll just ask on this one instead: any other advice for flying over water?

I asked the same question here the other week, and got a different answer!

I was told that as VPS only works within a couple of metres of the surface, there is no need to turn it off while flying over water (assuming your more than a couple of metres above the water).

Thoughts ?

I live on a lake and have tried VPS both on and off.

I just leave my VPS on all the time now, however I've never flown more than 300 to 400 m near the lake surface and I didn't depend on the altitude reading near the water surface.

I would heed warnings about hovering close to surface for over 10-20 seconds and I'd keep LOS while skimming surface.

Also I don't descend wide open straight down to just above the surface

I just leave my VPS on all the time now, however I've never flown more than 300 to 400 m near the lake surface

Not sure what you mean. Your flying at an altitude of 300m - 400m?

Or you only fly over from the edge of the lake, 300 - 400 m?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers