flying over water

. We are located close to the 30000 islands of Georgian bay most of our flying is over water of some sort.

I know that area well and can't wait to get my P3P in the air when I start cruising in June. I mostly cruise between Drummond Island, MI where I store and Parry Sound but mostly Britt is is my southern limit. I' really looking forward to filming the Bad River area. I assume you have been there.

I fly over the ocean almost every single day!! Never had an issue and the furthest I've went is about 3 miles out over the water. Like the other guy said, if its going to drop, its going to drop. Have fun and enjoy.

90% of my flights are out in to the open ocean, over 100 flights, so far not one issue, just keep checking your batteris while flying and you should be ok, this video shows a perfect example of a flight over 3000 meters out to sea
Enjoy

You mentioned something about using a "wind surfer" in the 3000 meter out to sea flight. What where you talking about. I am very interested in flying my P3P over water and would like to know all the best ways to do it.

You mentioned something about using a "wind surfer" in the 3000 meter out to sea flight. What where you talking about. I am very interested in flying my P3P over water and would like to know all the best ways to do it.
Windsurfers are passive antenna range extenders.

DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help
(Thanks Mike)

Dynamic 3D Solutions
Legit as well. I like the double antenna slots.

There are also active range extenders listed from FPVLR. DBSMODS makes an active kit as well.

Windsurfers are probably the best bang for your buck as far as extending the P3's range for $18.

SD

Don't forget to wear protection !
I saw this at the end of the how to make floats video
625x465_3558370_10967261_1441797676.jpg

These ideas come up from time to time on the forums and they are ridiculous.
The Phantom is designed to fly in the air.
What do these monstrosities do for aerodynamics?
One can only imagine how they handicap performance, eat flight time and block the camera's view.
The inventor of the $300 3D printed floats doesn't even mention weight and hasn't tested them.
I wonder if the Phantom could even take off with them on.

Your Phantom is going to fly a lot better and safer over water without being handicapped with this sort of crap.
Get past the irrational fear that creates these unnecessary concoctions and you can enjoy safely flying over water ... like this.
945-69a-X2.jpg

-
These ideas come up from time to time on the forums and they are ridiculous.
The Phantom is designed to fly in the air.
What do these monstrosities do for aerodynamics?
One can only imagine how they handicap performance, eat flight time and block the camera's view.
The inventor of the $300 3D printed floats doesn't even mention weight and hasn't tested them.
I wonder if the Phantom could even take off with them on.

Your Phantom is going to fly a lot better and safer over water without being handicapped with this sort of crap.
Get past the irrational fear that creates these unnecessary concoctions and you can enjoy safely flying over water ... like this.
945-69a-X2.jpg

His prices crack me up and then there's the "you can use them for storage"... lol. So on that page farther down he has his other set where you can strap a couple of 2 ltr bottles to it... hahaha. Some people really need to find better ways to make money :)

Getterback

This cheap and simple device will help you recover your Phantom if it happens to take a swim in a lake, ocean, pool or any other body of water. Check out some details:

Setup

Just attach the Getter Back to the leg of your Phantom with the included velcro, then you are good to go.

Activation

When the Getter Back reaches a depth of 10 feet or less, it will automatically deploy the bobber. When the easily spotted bobber reaches the surface, you simply grab the bobber and pull up the line until your Phantom appears.

OR USE THIS, REDNECK WATER BOTTLES !!

Attachments

• phantom2.jpg
    phantom2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
It would be nice to have an emergency float of some type, just in case something goes wrong. I would want to recover the bird if it water crashed. Even if it means repair expenses and such, I would hope it would be cheaper than buying another Phantom.

As we will be at sea for nearly two years all over the world, we are taking the P2V+ and the P3P so if we lose one, we can still shoot. Same as why we will have 2 Go Pros, 2 Sealife, two DSLRs and two el cheapos point and shoots. We have floats and boxes for everything else, why not the Phantoms.

Reactions: Reed L
DJI Phantom - Watersafe Drone By Liquipel & DSLRPros.com

I CAN FLY UNDERWATER !!
They quit offering this. It was very expensive. There was no warranty. Don't think it worked that well. One problem with this kind of solution is that the bird still sinks. You have to recover it.

It would be nice to have an emergency float of some type, just in case something goes wrong. I would want to recover the bird if it water crashed. Even if it means repair expenses and such, I would hope it would be cheaper than buying another Phantom.

As we will be at sea for nearly two years all over the world, we are taking the P2V+ and the P3P so if we lose one, we can still shoot. Same as why we will have 2 Go Pros, 2 Sealife, two DSLRs and two el cheapos point and shoots. We have floats and boxes for everything else, why not the Phantoms.
If you are going to be shooting over water exclusively for 2 years, you might want to consider getting a waterproof quad or moving the Phantom guts to a waterproof, floating shell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl