flying over water

Falling out of the sky is more to do with the battery dropping below 3v IIRC.

I'm at lake Tahoe right now and I won't fly over the lake. It's been about 13 degrees and my battery likes to hover around 3.5v. Too risky for me.

I flew it over the Pacific Coast in California and oregon no problems or fear and I got some awesome shots.

My rule is I won't fly over water if temps are below 40 degrees

The good thing about flying over water is that there are no obstacles or interference and the potential for great images is a good reason to fly at sea..
Flying in small backyards with trees and buildings close by accounts for a lot more crashed and damaged Phantoms.
902-51b-X2.jpg

DJI_0803a-X2.jpg

DJI_0399b-X2.jpg

Iron in saltwater becomes magnetic, hence why ships have floating compasses not magnetic.
So beware if launching from anything metal like a harbour wall thats in sea water.
Check the compass as soon as its up on the app.

I fly over water pretty much every time I take her up. Live in Gulf so not much more to fly over :D...Take off from boats and land and have never had a problem. Just make sure you have "some" experience with the controls my friend....

I also always fly over water, filmed a lot of ships. ****, I only filmed ships. Untill two days ago at flight number 124, my phantom3 took a dive. Went home with only the rc. Still sick.

Iron in saltwater becomes magnetic, hence why ships have floating compasses not magnetic.
So beware if launching from anything metal like a harbour wall thats in sea water.
Any iron or steel has a magnetic field, whether in salt water or not.
You have to be careful to avoid steel anywhere .. particularly concrete structures with steel reinforcing.
.... and ships compasses are the ordinary magnetic type as well btw.

Some people advise to turn off the VPS as when you are low over water you can get positioning issues.
I personally never turned it off but it might be worth investigating.

Here's my first proper over water fight.
Had to get my mate to catch it in his boat as mines got too many sticky-uppy-things for it to hit.

Does anybody turn off vps? When over water?
There were problems with the VPS early on that were eventually fixed with a firmware update.
People got used to not using it. Lots of flyers leave it turned off all the time because it isn't much to most flyers most of the time.

Does anybody turn off vps? When over water?
Mine is off all the time. I got the impression that's its main purpose is for flying indoors.

The manual states that it needs a distinct pattern under the drone for it work correctly. So, water, snow, solid color floors, would not allow VPS to work properly.

It was someones videos from P2V+ that got me really on to this and into my first quad to start.

These guys are great - Home

Their YouTube channel - SV Delos Sailing

This is when they got the P2V+.

Two years from this week we begin the World Arc, I want to document and take tons of pictures/videos from underwater to in the air. So I started with UD818A, then a QX350 ( it flew away ), a P2V+ and now P3P. Probably going to take all three quads, I don't want to miss a shot.

Right now practice is Ft Armistead ( surprised I have not run in to FotoGeek), and off the dingy on the Patapsco.

Over water - oh yes!

I got tired of my P3 having sudden movements (up/down, left/right) when hovering low or when coming down to land. I disabled it and haven't turned it back on again.

This is comforting news to me. I'd like to film ships and my buddies surfing if I'm not in the water with them!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl