Flying over Indian reservation land?

Reaction score
I'm looking around Google Earth for scenic areas nearby to fly my P3P. There is a beautiful mountain about 2 miles away from the nearest road access I want to fly around. I did a search to see if there were any restrictions and it is on Indian reservation land and hiking access is forbidden. I'm confident I could fly out to it, take some beautiful video and return safely. However I am nervous about the legality of flying over it and also being respectful of the Indian land.

Any advice?

Contact the tribal headquarters and ask them.
As you may need permission to be on their land and do photography of any kind.

As a retired chief of police of an Indian reservation (Gila River Indian Community, AZ) , I would advice you that tribal governments are very sensitive of their sovereignty and sacred grounds (which the mountain may or not be part of.) I would contact their tribal government or their police dept. and ask for permission. The tribes appreciate a show of respect by asking. Perhaps an offer of a nice video the tribe could use for their own purposes may sweeten the request. I'm sure someone here will reply with "they don't own the airspace, do what u want." In that case. Go with God.o_O

Yes ask permission, I no one owns airspace, land or the waters except the creator. Don't justify flying ovr there nation based on "legal" dialogue. If they say no fly else where, I myself do not fly ovr anywhere that could be intrusive to anyone. The way trees and landscape is to them is the others in this community look at houses and private property. True there nations are very pretty help them keep it that way,

I'm sure someone here will reply with "they don't own the airspace, do what u want." In that case. Go with God.o_O
Of course. I won't let you down.
But, in this case I will agree with you Luis :eek:.
Even though it would be legal by FAA rules, I would prefer deference to the sovereign nations of the First People.

Legal and right are two different things. I would ask or leave it alone. Maybe they would like to see the video or participate in video?

Maybe they would catch the bug and start buying and flying drones themselves. If no hiking is allowed, what a cool way for them to keep an eye on it!

If there is one mountain, there may be more. I would rather exceed the altitude recommendation to get the shot without crossing into a sensitive area than cross over the line into an area that others may feel insulted by.

Although, I would, of course, never exceed a FAA recommendation!

Luis' views seem well founded.

Reactions: JTC
Thanks for the replies.

Apparently the mountain was closed to hiking and climbing because back in the 1980's some idiots were vandalizing ancient petroglyphs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_McDowell

There are helicopter tours that go over this mountain and it is under the approach path of jets coming into land at the Phoenix airport so obviously flying over at some altitude is OK.

I may just fly around it from a respectful distance as I can't see them actually giving permission for something like this.

Thanks for the replies.

Apparently the mountain was closed to hiking and climbing because back in the 1980's some idiots were vandalizing ancient petroglyphs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_McDowell

There are helicopter tours that go over this mountain and it is under the approach path of jets coming into land at the Phoenix airport so obviously flying over at some altitude is OK.

I may just fly around it from a respectful distance as I can't see them actually giving permission for something like this.
Try asking, explaining that you'll fly around it from a respectful distance. They love it when "outsiders" show respect by asking. I see you are in AZ so you know where Gila River is. My dept. had a unit with sworn officers called Rangers; their only job was to patrol in 4x4s looking for trespassers and archeological violations. As a non Indian it sickened me to see outsiders think nothing of sneaking into the res and start digging for pottery to sell to collectors (a federal offense) thus the Indians are very sensitive to trespassing. In the process the thugs would desecrate graves and toss the remains around like garbage. Best of luck.

Attachments

• drone-underneth_zpszvsqojas.gif
    drone-underneth_zpszvsqojas.gif
    361.4 KB · Views: 833
Reactions: Chris Vedeler
I know this is 1 year old but do the same rules apply over sovereign land, like 400' and line of site?

I know this is 1 year old but do the same rules apply over sovereign land, like 400' and line of site?
FAA rules apply everywhere "more or less".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic