Flying new P4 for the first time.

DJS

Reaction score
Brand new Phantom 4. I have 38 minutes of flight time just enough to get it in the air and know I know almost nothing. I have yet to exceed 150 feet in altitude and 1000 feet in horizontal separation. I have turned the beginner mode off and find myself very comfortable outside of beginner mode. Having a blast moving slowly and carefully.

That's cool.

Ensure that you always start new flights with fully charged batteries and there are no trees, buildings, overhead power lines and structures in the vicinity.

Another tip is to understand what RTH means and what it does. Many people have come to grief with not using it correctly including myself when I got my first PS3. Despite all the reading and YouTube watching, it is not until your first RTH event that it dawns on you. I was lucky that I had set the height correctly and it came back, but that was from reading and a lot of luck. Won't happen again. Practice with those settings until you are confident with how your pride and joy will react.

Another tip is to understand what RTH means and what it does. Many people have come to grief with not using it correctly including myself when I got my first PS3. Despite all the reading and YouTube watching, it is not until your first RTH event that it dawns on you. I was lucky that I had set the height correctly and it came back, but that was from reading and a lot of luck. Won't happen again. Practice with those settings until you are confident with how your pride and joy will react.

This!!! Familiarise yourself with the rth features as they are very important and understand how they work and what they do, this built up my confidence as a hobbyist and I deliberately took my p3p which was second hand and the previous owner had told me "by the way the RTH feature is great and it works I have tested it" as far as I could out of range to test it, the screen went black and my heart stopped... moments later my screen reconnected and it was on its way back to papa [emoji69] that increased my confidence a lot and knew what it was capable of, my p3p was the best couldn't fault it not one bit, I not have a p4p which I had even more confidence, until it "fell from the sky" at 50mtrs during a return to home, it was completely thrashed and I contacted dji and sent it to them to repair lucky I had footage of it just falling and they honoured it after a little batter and I got confirmation that it was a motor malfunction. Now I have come back to reality and I'm now a little cautious again but never had the issue with my p3p so I was shocked that it happened to the p4p I guess the p3p was an unbelievable unit and p4p is still too new to rule out any malfunctions or issues

This!!! Familiarise yourself with the rth features as they are very important and understand how they work and what they do, this built up my confidence as a hobbyist and I deliberately took my p3p which was second hand and the previous owner had told me "by the way the RTH feature is great and it works I have tested it" as far as I could out of range to test it, the screen went black and my heart stopped... moments later my screen reconnected and it was on its way back to papa [emoji69] that increased my confidence a lot and knew what it was capable of, my p3p was the best couldn't fault it not one bit, I not have a p4p which I had even more confidence, until it "fell from the sky" at 50mtrs during a return to home, it was completely thrashed and I contacted dji and sent it to them to repair lucky I had footage of it just falling and they honoured it after a little batter and I got confirmation that it was a motor malfunction. Now I have come back to reality and I'm now a little cautious again but never had the issue with my p3p so I was shocked that it happened to the p4p I guess the p3p was an unbelievable unit and p4p is still too new to rule out any malfunctions or issues
Well hopefully you won't have any more issues and you were in the minority with your last quad. Issues like that are fairly rare from what I have read and maybe you can look forward to a trouble free ownership. Just go and fly!

Well hopefully you won't have any more issues and you were in the minority with your last quad. Issues like that are fairly rare from what I have read and maybe you can look forward to a trouble free ownership. Just go and fly!

Actually think it's quite a blessing as I felt super confident with them and plus dji covered it under warranty so I didn't pay a cent, and I couldn't think of anything happening until I had a motor failure happen to myself, It definitely made me do a reality check and think that there is a slight chance that things can go wrong, otherwise if it didn't happen I'd prob never think that these things can cause damage if used carelessly

Agreed, I always make sure to set properly RTH before start flying and also make sure you calibrate the aircraft everytime you power on your phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel