Flying need radio tower on mountain, is 5.8ghz recommended or 2.4ghz?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a mountain near by and I'm pretty sure there is some sort of communication tower on top of it. Even though I will probably won't be within a kilomoter of it, what is the recommendation here?

I guess I'll check the interference, but wouldn't 5.8ghz be the recommended band, even for just normal use? As 2.4ghz is the most common?

Then just take the drone up slowly and check all systems to see how it goes, then keep moving up etc, I shouldn't be traveling far, just pretty much straight up.

Any help would be great

Hi guys,

I have a mountain near by and I'm pretty sure there is some sort of communication tower on top of it. Even though I will probably won't be within a kilomoter of it, what is the recommendation here?

I guess I'll check the interference, but wouldn't 5.8ghz be the recommended band, even for just normal use? As 2.4ghz is the most common?

Then just take the drone up slowly and check all systems to see how it goes, then keep moving up etc, I shouldn't be traveling far, just pretty much straight up.

Any help would be great
I cannot see any potential problems close to a km from the tower. Most likely you can go pretty close with no issues on either band.

Regardless, taking it slow and watching for problems is always a good idea; should the picture start breaking up, take it down.

Also, learning to fly atti is a good investment also for the future should gps give out (I learned this the hard way due to bad gps in general on my previous p4p, no crashes but that was mostly due to luck)

Use whichever you like.
If things start to get patchy, then swap to the other frequency and see how that works.
At a kilometre away, I wouldn't expect much effect.

Thanks for the response guys, is there an actual distance that I need to be careful off when getting near a tower??? A hundred meters or so? Is it just a matter of being careful checking the response and then acting safely etc?

Also guys I went for a closer look tonight while I tried to find an open spot to be able to fly and this tower must have atleast 10-15 satellite dishes hanging off the side of it! Thers also a 10-20meter metal tower lookout, I'm guessing anything with metal would be a not advisable to launch a drone from.

Last edited:
Also guys I went for a closer look tonight while I tried to find an open spot to be able to fly and this tower must have atleast 10-15 satellite dishes hanging off the side of it! Thers also a 10-20meter metal tower lookout, I'm guessing anything with metal would be a not advisable to launch a drone from.
Never launch from or land on steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik