Flying into a No Fly Zone

Reaction score
I found out that if you're in a no fly zone, your motors won't even start. It gave me a scare when I was at a park that was too close to a correctional facility. But what happens if you fly into a no fly zone? Does it initiate RTH?

No, it immediately initiates a database records search for the nearest FAA supported authority and turns itself in. Sorry.

;)

I'm not sure myself but needed to post something to follow this.

Reactions: SilverStone641
I remember when the first No Fly Zones came about, they said the aircraft would auto-land if it wandered in. But fairly recently I read where it might just bounce out and give you a warning. Might depend on your craft and your firmware. @msinger would know for sure.

Is there any way around this? I spend a lot of time at the airport and the manager and I would like to take some footage of fly-in's and other events this summer. It seems insane to not have some workaround for situations like that.

Remember that these "no fly zones" are actually completely legal to fly in providing you've taken the proper precautions.

Seems a RTH would be much more safe than just to land.

Might be... but the person is already knowingly in a place where the done should not be flying. When in those places is it more appropriate for DJI to cause the Phantom to rise to a certain height and fly or.... stop flying.

Again, the person should have known where they were flying already.

If memory serve me right, the manual says the Phantom 3 starts to descend as it gets close to a NFZ, and gives warnings. If the bird keeps going forward into the NFZ it continues to descend until it lands and then won't restart. That should be plenty if warning to turn around before it actually lands.

I remember when the first No Fly Zones came about, they said the aircraft would auto-land if it wandered in. But fairly recently I read where it might just bounce out and give you a warning. Might depend on your craft and your firmware. @msinger would know for sure.
yeah, I can confirm that
last week I wanted to know this, so I went near airport, outside the NFZ and flied with the bird directly to NFZ
and it just stopped there, it was like it hit some invisible wall, I got warning "Touch a no-fly zone"
so no landing, just hovering

at least in my case it worked like this (I have P3A with FW 1.6)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik