Flying in Wet/Heavy Snow?

Reaction score
Safe to go for a 5 minute flight in wet snow?

Its snowing here and it's fairly heavy, but the temperature is above 0, currently its about +6C outside so it definately won't be a problem of freezing (i've flown up to 300ft in below 0 with no problems before with my P3 4K).

I feel as if the props will keep snow from getting into the motors. Anybody flown in this type of condition before?

First, I have not flown in such conditions and doubt I would.

It's really not a problem for the motors per se, they can operate underwater.

But any snow which then gets in the shell from the motor area can then melt and move towards the more sensitive electronics.

From what I've learned, the LiPo battery life drops in cold weather and snow so your run time diminishes quite a lot. A class had the guys shooting skiers and the battery life was shortened and they kept the spares going on chargers in the ski hut to stay warm.

First, I have not flown in such conditions and doubt I would.

It's really not a problem for the motors per se, they can operate underwater.

But any snow which then gets in the shell from the motor area can then melt and move towards the more sensitive electronics.

Hmm, would scotch tape on all the body seams be heavy enough to set off the balance?

No weight issue. But the seams are least likely to be a place of concern.

It is all a matter of how much risk you are willing to put up with. If it is worth the cost of your drone to fly in bad weather then go for it, you might get some great shots. And if you crash hopefully the snow will be soft. As n017rw said above, I don't think I would try it.

It is all a matter of how much risk you are willing to put up with. If it is worth the cost of your drone to fly in bad weather then go for it, you might get some great shots. And if you crash hopefully the snow will be soft. As n017rw said above, I don't think I would try it.

This is true, but you also run that risk every time you go for a flight, regardless of the weather conditions. Probability of failure does increase with snow I guess.

I think the question I should be asking is, which components should I try to protect from moisture?

Years ago flying planes and helis, flying in snow was awesome! Great light, soft landings (crashes), no people around. But back them you had simple kit where the electronics, apart from RX, were mostly bonus extras.
To answer the question - everything inside the shell and the TX. It's possible that you may get some icing on the props, but not likely, they are too small for the tip speeds to be high enough in anything but really cold, humid conditions

It's the air vents that will cause the problem. The snow will go inside and melt it. I wouldn't recommend covering the air vents despite it being cold, it will still need to cool down.

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: K Henry
OK, I got it, been thinking all day I needed to reply on this thread.

You could use it as a snow blower. ;)

Rod

Reactions: K Henry and Phil56
Sorry, I had to, I'm done:rolleyes:

warrantydog.jpg

Rod

Reactions: microraptor
We have guys flying DJI's, DIY drones, Fixed Wing, Heli's all sorts in winter conditions. Not unusual to be flying and the heavens open and dumping another load of snow while up there. Unless visibility gets really poor - we continue on.

Now I have a DJI - I will be joining the other Drone guys and flying to get some of those brilliant shots hopefully. My Fixed wing and All-terrain models relegated to observing !

What we have found is that while flying - there is very little 'contamination' of model because of airflow and propwash. The problem is when NOT flying and no airflow to keep stuff moving clear.

I know this is an EDF Fixed wing ... but here is flying in freezing and wet conditions ....

[youtube]

[youtube]

[youtube]

Nigel

Safe to go for a 5 minute flight in wet snow?

Its snowing here and it's fairly heavy, but the temperature is above 0, currently its about +6C outside so it definately won't be a problem of freezing (i've flown up to 300ft in below 0 with no problems before with my P3 4K).

I feel as if the props will keep snow from getting into the motors. Anybody flown in this type of condition before?

If you have a Phantom 4 Drone you might be interested in this as it will allow you fly in any adverse weather conditions.

You have to understand that DJI already made the camera somewhat water resistant or else under that 20 minute downpour the camera would be ruined.

This is the reason we were able to make the Wetsuit for the Phantom 4 and not the Phantom 3 as that camera was not built to be made water resistant where as the Phantom 4 was.

This is why when people dunk the drone in a lake or river once it dries , they are good to go, unless its salt water and than that is bad news for the camera.

We just posted a 26 minute flight in a thunder storm and the Phantom Rain Wetsuits protected the drone once again.

We also now have several news teams flying there drones that they were flying anyway to capture footage in storms with are Wetsuits and they provide the much added protection the drone needs.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20