Flying In Sydney East and the Harbor

Reaction score
I got this wonderful email from an American national who is travelling to AUS and wanted some information on flying in Sydney Harbor. While talking to this guy I decided to create a really helpful info pack about flying around Sydney Harbor including secluded spots to fly from, where to fly and where not to fly. Let me know below if you want the info pack.

I am unsure how helpful your info pack might be to your American friend if he/she ends up getting fined by authorities.

It is well known that Sydney Harour is restricted airspace.

9C035FC8-DDE9-4408-B841-6909044148A5.jpeg

I am unsure how helpful your info pack might be to your American friend if he/she ends up getting fined by authorities.

It is well known that Sydney Harour is restricted airspace.

View attachment 94928

Bummer dude.
I was looking forward to some video of Lady Jane Beach.;)
I was a Sydney sider until about 25 yrs ago.
I bet the place has grown a lot since then.

Bummer dude.
I was looking forward to some video of Lady Jane Beach.;)
I was a Sydney sider until about 25 yrs ago.
I bet the place has grown a lot since then.
I found it entertaining that one of the eariiwr CASA can I fly there safety YouTube videos depicted a flight in Sydney Harbour. I have flown there a while back also. You may do ok launching from a secluded spot but fact is it’s not permitted and I would hate to see someone buckled for acting on poor advice. Great way to take the edge off a holiday.

Yes CASA can be entertaining at times.
Apparently they're bringing out a new reg this week to say that we can't fly near prisons.
I always thought that was the case anyway?

How big is the “info pack”? You could upload it here so others might add complimentary suggestions.
Fair point. here it below
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLY
1. Blues Point Reserve, North Sydney - A great secluded point. It's a park where no one really goes to and it has a direct line of sight with the harbor bridge
2. Barangaroo Reserve - A park located behind an awesome place called "The Rocks" which is notorious for its nightlife. It doesn't have a direct line of sight with the harbor bridge but is a nice place to visit. You can still fly your drone to the bridge from here. It isn't far
3. Dawes Point - This is the best spot, located right under the harbor bridge, you will have a direct line of sight views with the bridge and your drone. On Google, if you search up "Romantic place at the Pier" it comes up with a restaurant right on the end of the pier. At the end of this pier is a secluded seating area that you can sit down at away from public view and fly with ease.
4. Mrs Macquaries Chair - is a brilliant lookout with a direct line of sight with the bridge and the opera house

DON'T FLY
5. Fort Denison - Has lots of security and is a small little fort with a restaurant on it which people tend to avoid
6. Sydney Opera House - I can not stress how important it is that you do not fly here. Both Federal police and contract security enforce the strict no-fly zone laws around here and the Opera House's have a regulation that do not allow you to fly a drone within the vicinity of the Opera house so, please don't. You risk your drone being confiscated
7. Circular Quay - The same as the Opera House. It is patrolled by police and security and there are lots of tourists and businessmen and women who are around. The workers see flying drones as a public nuisance and are not afraid to report it
8. Luna Park - Many tourists and it is also close to a hospital with a helicopter landing pad. I avoid this area at all costs
THE BIG X - The big X is Government House. This is where the Prime Minister of Australia tends to reside when in Sydney and when not in use it is still the most heavily guarded house in all of Sydney. DO NOT FLY AROUND OR NEAR HERE. If you do, you are at risk being arrested and federally prosecuted. Not only this but it has the potential to trigger a terrorism alert and shut down Sydney.

Let me know if you need any more information or more locations you would like to fly your drone from around Sydney.

R405A/B Zone Info for flight over Sydney Harbor

Where you can take off from

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLY
1. Blues Point Reserve, North Sydney - A great secluded point. It's a park where no one really goes to and it has a direct line of sight with the harbor bridge
2. Barangaroo Reserve - A park located behind an awesome place called "The Rocks" which is notorious for its nightlife. It doesn't have a direct line of sight with the harbor bridge but is a nice place to visit. You can still fly your drone to the bridge from here. It isn't far
3. Dawes Point - This is the best spot, located right under the harbor bridge, you will have a direct line of sight views with the bridge and your drone. On Google, if you search up "Romantic place at the Pier" it comes up with a restaurant right on the end of the pier. At the end of this pier is a secluded seating area that you can sit down at away from public view and fly with ease.
4. Mrs Macquaries Chair - is a brilliant lookout with a direct line of sight with the bridge and the opera house

DON'T FLY
5. Fort Denison - Has lots of security and is a small little fort with a restaurant on it which people tend to avoid
6. Sydney Opera House - I can not stress how important it is that you do not fly here. Both Federal police and contract security enforce the strict no-fly zone laws around here and the Opera House's have a regulation that do not allow you to fly a drone within the vicinity of the Opera house so, please don't. You risk your drone being confiscated
7. Circular Quay - The same as the Opera House. It is patrolled by police and security and there are lots of tourists and businessmen and women who are around. The workers see flying drones as a public nuisance and are not afraid to report it
8. Luna Park - Many tourists and it is also close to a hospital with a helicopter landing pad. I avoid this area at all costs
THE BIG X - The big X is Government House. This is where the Prime Minister of Australia tends to reside when in Sydney and when not in use it is still the most heavily guarded house in all of Sydney. DO NOT FLY AROUND OR NEAR HERE. If you do, you are at risk being arrested and federally prosecuted. Not only this but it has the potential to trigger a terrorism alert and shut down Sydney.

Let me know if you need any more information or more locations you would like to fly your drone from around Sydney.

Locations 8, 1, 4 and 3 were sweet until about 18 months ago. The last time I went near the harbour with a phantom I was at lavender bay and was approached before I launched by an obviously well meaning and appropriately educated member of the community (said he was a retired commercial pilot). I did my homework after that meeting and wouldn’t suggest anyone fly around the harbour without approval.

FLY

DON'T FLY

Pity about Blues Point
I used to live near there back in the old days.
Great scenic spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen