Flying A Yunecc in Arches National Park!

Ok gang.... let's get this topic back on track... we've gone WAY OFF here :)

Apologies for my part, although I was just responding to the previous comment - adding a clarification. My previous point is very relevant, however, to any discussion about national parks usage. I know this because part of my work is just that.

There are signs - even in the US, who started the worldwide national parks idea - that there has been too much emphasis or leeway placed on the “recreational” use. Nature and a peaceful natural environment for humans are losing out. Canada is currently considering limiting visitor numbers in places like Banff NP, and discussions are likewise taking place in Zion NP in the US - so there’s little prospect of any lessening of regulations for drone flying in these special areas. Noise pollution is on the NPS (and equivalent elsewhere) radar and has been for some time - as with snow mobile usage in Yellowstone NP, for example. The tide is slowly but surely turning. And it takes time, just as the wolf restoration to Yellowstone took over 50 years to happen.....

Even if we all love flying our drones, there must be limits. I’m a huge fan of the US national parks and I know many forum members are American. The worthy ideals of making these exceptional natural places need to be upheld by the current generations. Yes, other countries today are also really good examples - South Africa, Tanzania, and Kenya being classic examples - but other countries need to do better. In the UK, our best national park is full of sheep (unbelievably). There are still countless other sites beyond national parks to fly our drones, (exceptions noted).

I don't get the idea that it SHOULD be OK to fly a drone in national parks -- let me offer a glimpse of what would happen if they did permit it.

You're sitting around Old Faithful along with 850 other people waiting for it to blow while 23 drones buzz overhead. Do I need to elaborate?

If it's permitted how do you limit it? If you don't limit it in some way then it might well be 97 drones at Old Faithful and countless other areas within major parks. If it were permitted but limited who pays the hundreds of ranger salaries that would be needed to monitor the activities.

And that's all before you account for safety. Indeed, if drones were permitted and the inevitable crash injuring someone happens, the park service would be paying through the nose for that -- who would pay for that?

Fact is, the people that demand to be able to fly there drone within NP's are either completely indifferent to others or so selfish as to not care about them. Sorry, that's the way it is.

Now, I do think there are parts of some of the NP's that could permit drone use, parts that are seldom visited by the hordes and parts that are not sensitive to wildlife etc., but if you open the door at all the fools will come rushing in so the end result is a total ban.

That we continue to have members of this forum that don't get this is, well, depressing!

Brian

Reactions: gerfoto and BigAl07
^^^^^^^ Brian NAILED IT! The only thing he missed was:

MIC DROP! ! !

Yep that’s the kind a bonehead that are going to ruin our hobby next time you see that happen taking down Man up

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.