Flying In 4 Degree Weather.

As I haven't flown in anything colder than probably 20ºF, how well does the battery last at 0º? As with most batteries, they drain fast at cold temps.

I've seen these cold weather posts .. -22ºF wind chill? These are flying computers. DJI says don't fly below 0ºC. I've seen vids of folks flying in snow, fog. My bird was hard earned. I don't fly below freezing (PC boards inside) or above 22mph winds (good gust can take a bird). I live at 7500' in the Rockies.

Hi , just as a curiosity . I flew my P3A the 6th of January in Finland at -27 °C for ca 8 minutes . I was a bit concerned about this extreme ambient temperature , but it worked fine. I had my iPad with a back cover on it, to possibly isolate it from the cold. MyP3 battery indicator still after this flight showed a good condition for several more minutes of flight.

I make a (probably bad) habit of flying in all temperatures. The only thing I avoid is rain or heavy fog. Flew in to sub zero fog and had immediate icing on the props. Cold and clear has not presented any problems with my P3 Pro. This morning, was 8 degrees Fahrenheit, no problems, I use an Ipad Mini II and it has also held up fine. I do max out all batteries (controller, ipad, P3P) before flying.

Side-note: wind chill has no impact on non-living mechanical devices, that's under "real-feel", for example, the hood of your car in 32 deg. weather is 32 degrees even if the winds are 20 knots.

https://youtu.be/tn5UZF2HyNo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj