Flying for compensation or hire

cubdriver said:
Also, be aware that just like the IRS, the FAA can see right though schemes to make you appear to not being compensated for what you are doing. i.e. "donations", bartering, etc.
sj

Agreed, but some scenarios aren't schemes, so here's a question for the internet attorneys out there.

I have a friend who loves my Phantom with no desire to fly it or own it. He wants me to make a video of his home from above.

Suppose I do, and give it to him. Suppose 6 months from now, he decides to sell his house and uses the video to market the property.

Is this using a drone for commercial reasons?

That's the beautiful gray area. The FAA can make just about anything look like compensation. If you take a friend for a ride in an airplane and they buy you lunch... Compensation even though it doesn't cover a fraction of the cost.

"Yeah, but I got the last one. He owed me lunch anyways, Mr. FAA Agent."

If Amazon can't get a COA, what makes you think anyone else will? It'll be a long time before the special interest money gets out of the way. Don't expect it to happen anytime soon. Fortunately, the only regulation the FAA thinks applies to commercial operations is so ludicrous that no one including the FAA and their judiciary can take it seriously.

Let's face it. The FAA has failed miserably.

The FAA has canceled AC 91-57 which governed model aircraft. It was more of a set of guide lines (stay below 400ft etc) but it'll be interesting to see where the FAA goes from here.

The new regulations to be put in place will have enforcement and penalty provisions... AKA the FAA wants to be able to punish people for model aircraft misbehavior. Yikes.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Wants-To-Replace-RC-Model-Rules222900-1.html

Probably a stupid question, but what are photographers and videographers doing then? Obviously there are quite a few of them out there using the Phantom (and other drones) to take aerial photography and video footage.

I would love to use it in my own business. I do a lot of architectural photography and already do elevated stuff (with an elevation pole mostly). I'd love to be able to get even higher perspectives... but I also don't want to be breaking the law.

A lot of people are just doing it. I don't think people are really turning other people in unless it becomes an issue or hazard. so for the most part, i'd say if you feel comfortable with the people you're around/working for, go for it! haha it's just how you feel about operating in this gray area.

birdheezy said:
A lot of people are just doing it. I don't think people are really turning other people in unless it becomes an issue or hazard. so for the most part, i'd say if you feel comfortable with the people you're around/working for, go for it! haha it's just how you feel about operating in this gray area.

I hear you. I guess my fear would be that both of my biggest clients are extremely large companies. I think I would need to get clearance from them to "go for it" since their name could be tied up with any problem. I'd rather it all be on the up-and-up if possible... but that seems unlikely right now... except that I can follow the flight rules to the letter (like staying under 400ft and away from airports, etc)

Don't worry about your big clients. Drone footage is everywhere. I can rattle off many household brands that have indirectly paid for drone filming. Even American Airlines has drone footage on their screens when you board their planes and they're obviously heavily regulated by the FAA.

And everyone in Hollywood thinks the FAA just cleared the use of drones for film (and not just 6 aerial filming companies).

Only 11 companies with exemptions - that require full pilot qualifications for a supposed leading technological country isn't slow.
It's a pitiful joke.

What's next? Will the FAA require new private pilots to learn how to fly drones before allowing them to fly planes?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj