Flying at night

Agreed, but in such a security sensitive place like the NYC, especially next to the World Trade Center, you would think that the police would be well versed in local drone laws.
I think that if their agency (NYPD) thought that drones were a big deal representing a significant threat to the public well-being, or if there was a significant public outcry against their use, they would make sure that their officers were well-versed in managing that particular threat.

Last edited:
I'm one of the odd people who enjoys night flying. I look forward to it and can comfortably run 4 batteries just "playing" in the dark. Almost half of my time is at night and most of that is practicing ATTI flying and the "waypoint" flight from time to time for the experience. Playing in the wind with ATTI at night is a blast.

When flying like this, it is strictly as a hobbyist and playing by the AMA rules. I'm am in a large, open area basically "walled off" by tree lines between me and the unwashed masses. (It's a private golf course that I'm a member of).

I generally stay below 200 feet and at most, out about 1000 feet and it's all VLOS as the P4 has very good lighting all around. In ATTI the flashing rear lights show up very nicely. I did take a look at 400 feet and it's adequate but not really enough external lighting for my taste at that altitude.

Night flying does require a degree of concentration for orientation and the like, but you do get accustomed to it. For me it's very relaxing flying after a hard day of whatever the heck it is I do all day. You'll also find that you'll be using the background map more than the video feed when re-orientation or tracking is needed.

Of course, none of the visual sensors work and the VPS is weak, at best, due to the lack of ground visibility unless you're landing in a well lighted area. Headlights from the Jeep don't count.

Once again, this is not Part 107 flying, it is strictly "Hobbyist" or 101 flight.

Of the dozen or so people who have come up to me while I was flying close in, EVERY ONE of them was amazed and impressed with the light show that our P4 puts out.

AD

Reactions: uavflyr
Here's our basics
Do:
  • Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather.
  • Keep your drone where you can see it with your own eyes – not through an on-board camera, monitor, or smartphone.
  • Make sure your drone is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example: Are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
  • Respect the privacy of others. Avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.
Don't:
  • Don't fly in clouds or fog.
  • Don't fly closer than nine km (five nm) from any aerodrome (i.e., any airport, heliport, helipad, or seaplane base).
  • Don't fly higher than 90 m (300 feet) above the ground.
  • Don't fly closer than 150 m (500 feet) from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.
  • Don't fly in populated areas or near large groups of people, including at sporting events, concerts, festivals, or firework shows.
  • Don't fly near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.
  • Don't fly within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, or forest fires.
  • Don't fly anywhere you may interfere with first responders.
Of course this year promises to bring stiffer regs and enforcement.
I put this on Facebook and was threatened to remove or be reported! 0400hrs not a soul around- whos to bother

DJI_0527.jpg
DJI_0013.jpg
I love night flying:)

I know 333 operators were upset (for good reason) that they had more limitations than the hobbyist and this seems to be an example with 107 too. I have a daylight waiver under 107, but that limits me to 200 feet AGL. Night is the only time I can now fly from my backyard as 107 (after Class D closes down and reverts to G at 8pm). The FAA website says you need to contact the airport manager and tower (if they have a tower) within 5 miles of the airport, while the AMA says 3 miles (which the FAA refers to)... I suppose it's better to go with the 5 miles (statute/nautical?) to be on the safe side.

*side rant* Once again, it's "ironic" that the people who are required to have better knowledge of the NAS have more restrictions than hobbyist do--yet all this is supposedly because of "safety". It's hard for someone like me as cynical as I am of Big Government to not think of this as just another example of over-regulation to limit start-up businesses (limit competition for larger companies represented by lobbyist) in the name of "safety". I'm all for safety but not when it punishes responsible people while letting the rest off the hook.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH
I know 333 operators were upset (for good reason) that they had more limitations than the hobbyist and this seems to be an example with 107 too. I have a daylight waiver under 107, but that limits me to 200 feet AGL. Night is the only time I can now fly from my backyard as 107 (after Class D closes down and reverts to G at 8pm). The FAA website says you need to contact the airport manager and tower (if they have a tower) within 5 miles of the airport, while the AMA says 3 miles (which the FAA refers to)... I suppose it's better to go with the 5 miles (statute/nautical?) to be on the safe side.

*side rant* Once again, it's "ironic" that the people who are required to have better knowledge of the NAS have more restrictions than hobbyist do--yet all this is supposedly because of "safety". It's hard for someone like me as cynical as I am of Big Government to not think of this as just another example of over-regulation to limit start-up businesses (limit competition for larger companies represented by lobbyist) in the name of "safety". I'm all for safety but not when it punishes responsible people while letting the rest off the hook.
Goes back the congress walling off hobby RC flying and specifically telling the FAA that they couldn't regulate hobby fliers. If congress ever relents, watch the hobby rules change in a heartbeat!

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Blame my comment or not, I have a problem with those questions. You want to fly at night? go ahead, don't ask. Want to fly 5 miles out, go ahead, don't ask. Want to fly 500m (1610ft) high, go ahead, don't ask.
- Officer, can I drive 15mi over the speed limit?
I don't care how or what you do, it will NOT affect me or my flying. And for those that believe that FCC will restrict drone flying you are wrong!. FCC can not and does not enforce laws, is a state, county, city regulation and most of the LEO don't know the legal FCC rules, let alone the illegal ones. On the other hand, they need the $$$ if you get caught violating whatever law they fill you violated. Just use safety sense and don't attract attention.
Nope, FCC won't enforce FAA rules, but the FAA will and does. Ask any manned aircraft pilot who has had his ticket pulled and been fined for some violation!

That's Part 107 FAR. We're talking Part 101. Phantom's lighting should meet AMA guidelines satisfactorily.

While true, I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do a lot of night flying, it's a good idea to at least have some supplemental lighting like a STROBON or a DS-30 or the like, to get you up to the three-mile range.

While true, I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do a lot of night flying, it's a good idea to at least have some supplemental lighting like a STROBON or a DS-30 or the like, to get you up to the three-mile range.
Everybody gets an opinion...:) . Personally, I don't perceive that additional lighting is worthwhile relative to the hassle and expense, and relative to my needs.

It is statute miles, not nautical miles.

Look at manned commercial operations. These are the most highly skilled and professional aviators out there, but the private pilot in a Cessna 150 has fewer restrictions because of the fact you're potentially taking people's money and putting some amount of risk in their hands for that money.

I plan to use the "civil twilight" regulation if confronted. It will be less than one hour from the official sunset. I am going to video the finale of the fireworks show my city does for the 4th of July.

I am going to go straight up and straight down from my own yard. I will be flying just above the trees. I am about a mile from the show and the crowds, so I won't be flying over people.

Reminder, FAA is just a lawsuit away from losing even its section 107 rules as a federal curt has already ruled that as drones are model aircraft, the FAA doesn't make rules regarding them. That case is the one that eliminated their rule to register drones for that same reason. The second part ONLY failed due to a time to file technicality.

I live in Florida, so I have to fly in the early morning or at night. Too **** hot and sticky in the day to enjoy and it rains almost every afternoon.

Anywho - as others the STROBON led strobes are a good idea. The lights on the AC are only good for close flying. I have a 8 on my P4 :) Last night I was out a 1 1/2 miles and could see it perfectly.

Just as a sidenote, a cop was doing routine patrol one night around 9pm and wen't by my house just as I was launching - no way he could have missed me.. my lighting system rivaled his. Anyway, he waved and smiled as he went by.

For hobby flying, according to the FAA, you must adhere to "community based safety guidelines".

The FAA defines that as the AMA's Safety Code

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

1. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations.
As for the rest:

1. Model aircraft pilots will:
    (a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
    1. (b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)

2. (c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.

3. (d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.
The FAA has absolutely no jurisdiction over hobby model aircraft. None, None, None. Appeals Court Ruling. Requiring registration thrown out. You can apply and get a refund for your registration fee. Part 107 pilots can operated outside of the part 107 regulations; not every flight you fly after gaining the sUAS Remote Pilot Certificate must be flown under those rules. You can still operate as a recreational / hobbyist pilot. Just like an ATP rated pilot can still hop in a Cessna and not have to follow the same regulations we would when flying a 747. If you're flight purpose is not 'commercial' then night flight isn't only legal, it can be done pretty safely. I use STROBON Standalone white strobes on the rear of my P4 and P4P. Easily attached with Velcro or 3M Dual Lock. I have red and green attached to front for nav. Visible up to three miles. The only guideline I adhere to is staying under 400 ft. RTG. I just think it is the safe thing to do cuz I'm a former instrument rated pilot. Oh, and of course I don't test the environment around active airports.

Last edited:
I live in Florida, so I have to fly in the early morning or at night. Too **** hot and sticky in the day to enjoy and it rains almost every afternoon.

Anywho - as others the STROBON led strobes are a good idea. The lights on the AC are only good for close flying. I have a 8 on my P4 :) Last night I was out a 1 1/2 miles and could see it perfectly.

Just as a side note, a cop was doing routine patrol one night around 9pm and went by my house just as I was launching - no way he could have missed me.. my lighting system rivaled his. Anyway, he waved and smiled as he went by.
That's great. I had a cop return my P4 at 9pm one night. Long story of pilot error setting up Litchi mission. I have red, white and blue standalone strobes which can be fun flying over a speeding highway at night. I'm going to get busted yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl