Flying at night

Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can still fly at night as a hobbyist. I know to fly under the 107 permits are needed but do the restrictions apply to just havin fun in the dark?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Blame my comment or not, I have a problem with those questions. You want to fly at night? go ahead, don't ask. Want to fly 5 miles out, go ahead, don't ask. Want to fly 500m (1610ft) high, go ahead, don't ask.
- Officer, can I drive 15mi over the speed limit?
I don't care how or what you do, it will NOT affect me or my flying. And for those that believe that FCC will restrict drone flying you are wrong!. FCC can not and does not enforce laws, is a state, county, city regulation and most of the LEO don't know the legal FCC rules, let alone the illegal ones. On the other hand, they need the $$$ if you get caught violating whatever law they fill you violated. Just use safety sense and don't attract attention.

I remember line of sight at night under 200ft (if you can see it) but I may be wrong.
DO NOT ask the local LEO/cops! Would be like asking if you can rob the local store...Cops are not coming unless somebody is complaining...some of them are curious and want to see it. Just be nice and polite, don't argue the LAW, land soon and show them the process.

Reactions: WWK888
I like to fly stealth in the night time, turn off the front LEDs and put tape on the back ones, no lights at all. My only problem is that there is nothing to shoot in the night time, is all dark in the desert...

Reactions: BDOG
I have cops askin questions about my phantom all the time and I wanna do my best to relay the correct info to them so they can do there jobs and not bother the people who are flying right[emoji106]

Find a way to "infiltrate" the local PD, offer help with the drone for aerial view, you will never be bother by cops.

In my area, I just call the ATC and ask permission.
No problems yet.
I almost always fly at night....

They don't bother me they wanna get to know the laws on drones also. I've had people call them on me that know nothing and when/if they show I educate them so the next time they don't respond. I do that a lot.

You can Google that question...If you go to the FAA website, though, you will find that, RECREATIONALLY speaking, you CAN fly at night.

Seems like commercially the FAA should allow night flights as well.

Reactions: uavflyr
Why not just go to the FAA's website and read the guidelines for hobby fliers?

I like to fly stealth in the night time, turn off the front LEDs and put tape on the back ones, no lights at all. My only problem is that there is nothing to shoot in the night time, is all dark in the desert...

Good call that's exactly what I do. Tape and all. Its pitch black in my back yard where I land so I use a Philips hue go on the ground outside the turn it on to land fpv.

Does anyone know if we can still fly at night as a hobbyist. I know to fly under the 107 permits are needed but do the restrictions apply to just havin fun in the dark?

I logged on here to ask the same question as you. It seems like it was hard to get a straight answer. Yes, I have read the FAA guidelines which neither explicitly permit nor prohibit recreational flying at night. Yes, I have Googled it too and have not found a definitive answer. Apparently no-one else who responded has either. If it is not explicitly prohibited in the rules then logic dictates that it is permissible for recreational pilots to fly at night as long as all the other rules are being followed. That's my interpretation.

For hobby flying, according to the FAA, you must adhere to "community based safety guidelines".

The FAA defines that as the AMA's Safety Code

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.PDF

1. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations.
As for the rest:

1. Model aircraft pilots will:
    (a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
    1. (b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)

2. (c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.

3. (d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.

Last edited:
Before I got my P4 I wasn't aware of all the rules and regulations. After I started to read on these forums and download all the various apps I finally became aware of how hard it can be to fly. I am in NYC for work at the moment and brought the drone with me. I knew I couldn't fly by "One World Trade Center" which was right by my hotel but I thought I might ask a police office who was out patrolling around it. To my surprise he said "No problem, I don't see why it would be an issue". I didn't but I found it very odd knowing I couldn't fly there and he didn't know that. He wasn't a young officer, he had been around for a while so it was very odd.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I suspect that drones are not the most pressing issue that law enforcement is dealing with these days. I know with certainty that law enforcement around here where I live has no clue about drones, nor do they particularly care. If somebody complains, they would address the issue, but reluctantly.

I suspect that drones are not the most pressing issue that law enforcement is dealing with these days. I know with certainty that law enforcement around here where I live has no clue about drones, nor do they particularly care. If somebody complains, they would address the issue, but reluctantly.

Agreed, but in such a security sensitive place like the NYC, especially next to the World Trade Center, you would think that the police would be well versed in local drone laws.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj