Flying at night

Here is a short night flight of my F650. The lights are really for navigation/orientation but they do look good at night . The sound is kind of interesting when approaching - sort of jet-like. The e-600 motors/props sound good I think.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlYps6eQDbc[/youtube]

Lots of fun!!

I find night flying fun, with all kinds of lights attached, but then I don't try to video at night.

I have little lights, in all colors, that stick to small metal discs glued to my P2. They use a watch battery and they are very lightweight, yet VERY bright. I rig mine like large size crafts, with navigation lights and white beacons. Then a LOT of other really cool lighting, with a UFO look!

I found some long foam rods, with RGB LEDS inside and there are many color choices, just by pushing the switch. They look great attached, with zip ties, to the landing gears and even the arms - one on each side.

Then, I have a infrared controlled light strip that encompasses my P2. The colors morph, strobe, fade in and out, steady, etc. The number of possible color combinations is very numerous and amazing! Look on eBay for this.

amorrison said:
Here is a short night flight of my F650. The lights are really for navigation/orientation but they do look good at night . The sound is kind of interesting when approaching - sort of jet-like. The e-600 motors/props sound good I think.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlYps6eQDbc[/youtube]

Lots of fun!!

That was neat! I do like the sound.

But, just wait until I put my video here!

And, to get a neat sound, I'll rig up a digital recorder, audio amplifier, speaker and cool UFO sounds. IF it can get airborne! I need a source for a lightweight speaker. Then the magnet might mess with the compass! Give me time, I will figure it out!

Here's a night flight video I shot last summer.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HYRr1VYM8[/youtube]

I just received my Fatshark Predator V2 kit and just had to try it out the same night. Didn't have IOSD installed yet and also the gimbal was not attached.

You can clearly see that at some point I lose orientation and take off the goggles only to find that my Phantom is so freakin high I can't tell the lights from the stars. So the only thing I could do was yawing it in the hope the lights would pulsate enough to get a visual again. But I had no luck, I just couldn't find it in the harsh moonlight and a thousand stars. It must have been at 500m or so. The lights on the ground and in the harbor were confusing (in the goggles) and it looked like nothing I had seen before. Almost in panic I finally flipped the RTH switch and put on the goggles again. I noticed it going into RTH but after a while I didn't trust it because it still didn't show over my head. Again I took off the goggles and took back control again. Yawing and wiggling and descending. Finally I saw the lights right over my position and I was shocked how high it still was.

Anyhow, it was a nerve wrecking experience and I seriously thought I would lose it. Never a night flight again without IOSD! You just have to know your altitude and heading. I know, it was stupid but I just didn't know what to expect. With full info on your screen it is a lot of fun though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl