Flying at night

I did some night flying some time ago, at a state park near us. Cold out, and a bit of a wind, but not bad. So here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLIaDWU ... 4Vbf80V-7Q

It was interesting to try this, but I don't make a habit of it. As someone else mentioned, it probably would be better if there was a streetlight or two around. In one part near the end you can see highway lights about 3-4 miles away. Otherwise there's just nothing around.

You can hear our generator running in the background because we were camped out in our trailer and needed the generator to keep lots of lights on - and the heat going. :D

The vid is only about two minutes long.

Yea. See what you mean. Dark. So I'm going to try it at dusk and see what happens

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxI4auJnIwQ[/youtube]

These strobes are visible from very far away.

Great Pumpkin said:
This P2V has the blue LED lights strung around the four arms. They look white in this image. Their light reflects off the bottom of the props, while the Phantom's two red LED lights light up the bottom of the Phantom. The LED lights also come in red and green and are sold by several dealers for about $15-20 per set. They attach to the Phantom by means of a sticky backing. They use a 9 volt battery that attaches to the bottom of the Phantom's battery compartment with velcro.
It is really fun to fly at night with the Phantom all lit up like this. So far no one has mistaken mine for a UFO.

Fly higher! As you get higher, there is no reference, from the ground. The object could be at 200' or it could be a much larger craft at 10,000 feet. Kids are good targets!

I have the same blue LED strip, but then I ran across one that with a remote, you can change to many colors, morphing, strobe, etc. But, I have much more for a good night show!

bschaub said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPrJQi0CDk

Here is some fun with HK LED lights. (BTW, the P2 did not like the lampshade much. Still trying to figure out why.)

Pretty cool though!

Hey guys. .I like to fly at night ..can't see much out here in the foothills but cars on the highway and a few lights, but I enjoy flying out as far as I can see ,which is close to a mile..that's with stock lights on my phantom. .I would like to add a led or headlight so if someone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. Happy flying turbodronepilot. ..

This might be the photo you get when you choose to fly at night.

Attachments

• 20141130_110938.jpg
    20141130_110938.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 337
Reactions: Rudder Bug
I have a couple hours of night flying logged. It's very cool.

Here is the headlight I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterpoof-Outdoor ... 0+watt+led

The light is shipped with wires less than 1 foot long and ready for you to add a 3 prong plug. The ground wire probably isn't connected to anything. With the LED driver it will operate on AC 110 to 240 volts. I've found the drivers typically operate from 85 to 265 VAC. Without the LED driver, it operates on 12 volts DC. :D

I've removed everything but the mounting bracket & bolts, the LED, 2 wires, the casing, and the reflector.
It's a wide angle floodlight so you need to get kinda close to things for it to illuminate well enough for video.
I usually hang it from the front/bottom of both landing gear with 4 zip ties and power it up after liftoff.
Done properly it stays pointed straight ahead and doesn't interfere with the gimbal.
If you mount it as I do, the angle is adjustable and if mounted facing forward, the light will point down when you travel at a high forward speed, that's part of the fun though.

Positive features:
* looks like I'm looking at a landing light on an approaching airplane, super freaking bright even at 500+ feet :eek:
* measures about 4.25 x 3.25 x 1.25 inches
* weighs in (as pictured) at 98.8 grams
* runs on 12 volts so I plug it into an aux power source on my FC40
* doesn't draw much energy and has not noticeably affected my flight times
* my bird can't fly far enough for me to loose sight of it

And the negative:
WARNING:
IF YOU REMOVE THE GLASS YOU MUST BE AWARE THAT THE LED WILL BE ABLE TO COME IN CONTACT WITH FLAMMABLE MATERIALS AND IT DOES GET HOT ENOUGH TO START THINGS ON FIRE, LIKE DRY GRASS.
I'm responsible for what I post, you're responsible for what you do with my goofie ideas. ;)

I tried this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4U ... UTF8&psc=1
I was able to clearly tell when it was pointed directly at me (against a dark background) from about 500 feet.
I'm not sure how well it would offer the same directional information in suburbia or in the city.
There wasn't much forward lighting but it got me home when I was a ways out there, then the flimsy wiring gave out.

Cheers

Hey Prylar, if you're named after a Star Trek character, how can you be older than dirt?

Attachments

• Light 2.jpg
    Light 2.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Light 1.jpg
    Light 1.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 350
I'm old Older then dirt. Just turned 67...still playing with with toys...my buddy wrote the screenplay and named the character after me as a sign of respect for all the years I worked on the series...all the series. From TNG thru ENT

I use that latter LED light. From what I read, the first one weighs a pound. I'm surprised that you were even able to fly with it! The second one gives off enough light to see it from a long distance. There is a blue model and a RGB model. The round shape works well.

If I ever get my 3D printer up and running, I hope to make rotor guards, that accept an arc shaped piece of plastic. My hope is to have a large circe that I will stick on an LED strip, that is a RGB that is controlled via a remote.

That will look impressive compared to a strip that follows the contour of the body. At least, I hope so! Plus, it will make it easier to pull apart the two sections of the body, for access.

Now, you see how my mind works. Or, fails to work!

IflyinWY said:
I have a couple hours of night flying logged. It's very cool.

Here is the headlight I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterpoof-Outdoor ... 0+watt+led

The light is shipped with wires less than 1 foot long and ready for you to add a 3 prong plug. The ground wire probably isn't connected to anything. With the LED driver it will operate on AC 110 to 240 volts. I've found the drivers typically operate from 85 to 265 VAC. Without the LED driver, it operates on 12 volts DC. :D

I've removed everything but the mounting bracket & bolts, the LED, 2 wires, the casing, and the reflector.
It's a wide angle floodlight so you need to get kinda close to things for it to illuminate well enough for video.
I usually hang it from the front/bottom of both landing gear with 4 zip ties and power it up after liftoff.
Done properly it stays pointed straight ahead and doesn't interfere with the gimbal.
If you mount it as I do, the angle is adjustable and if mounted facing forward, the light will point down when you travel at a high forward speed, that's part of the fun though.

Positive features:
* looks like I'm looking at a landing light on an approaching airplane, super freaking bright even at 500+ feet :eek:
* measures about 4.25 x 3.25 x 1.25 inches
* weighs in (as pictured) at 98.8 grams
* runs on 12 volts so I plug it into an aux power source on my FC40
* doesn't draw much energy and has not noticeably affected my flight times
* my bird can't fly far enough for me to loose sight of it

And the negative:
WARNING:
IF YOU REMOVE THE GLASS YOU MUST BE AWARE THAT THE LED WILL BE ABLE TO COME IN CONTACT WITH FLAMMABLE MATERIALS AND IT DOES GET HOT ENOUGH TO START THINGS ON FIRE, LIKE DRY GRASS.
I'm responsible for what I post, you're responsible for what you do with my goofie ideas. ;)

I tried this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4U ... UTF8&psc=1
I was able to clearly tell when it was pointed directly at me (against a dark background) from about 500 feet.
I'm not sure how well it would offer the same directional information in suburbia or in the city.
There wasn't much forward lighting but it got me home when I was a ways out there, then the flimsy wiring gave out.

Cheers

Hey Prylar, if you're named after a Star Trek character, how can you be older than dirt?

My error in wondering how you could lift something so heavy. Then I noticed you have a FC40. What is the total lift capacity? I could add a lot of 'toys!"

I thought the FC40 was a bigger drone, but it appears to the same. Why the different designation? The camera?

Cool story, thanks Prylar. :cool:

PhantomFanatic,
If you were referring to my floodlight, you got your numbers crossed somewhere.
The light arrives weighing about 350 grams, I strip it down to under 100 grams.
Works good - lasts long time :D

The FC40 designation is because of the camera.

It's NOT a heavy-lifter but I do push it to the limit.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=27099&hilit=amphibious

Here's the LED strip lighting I like to use:
http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-35 ... waterproof

It's way cheaper to buy it by the roll and solder on a power plug to fit you aux power source.

turbodronepilot,
Please keep us posted. This is going to be fun to watch... :lol:

I like doing night flights. Almost every night if it's not too cold and the weather is ok, I'll take mine on a nice fairly long range flight just because it's relaxing to me. It's even better now that I have most of my trees cleared out, so I can really let it go all out. I only have a couple vids of night flights, but I'll post what I have. The non fpv flight is actually my old fc40 (RIP), and the other is my new one. Both videos are just raw unedited videos (except for that youtube music) so you can see how the little fc40 does at night.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owo72EN8yd0[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOzgA47Dw_g[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik